Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle Quarterly

I'm not a fan magazines, especially bike magazines. About a month ago I came across one that I really enjoy. I haven't subscribed, but have been buying back issues which are the same price if bought by the year.

They sent me a link for upcoming issue http://www.bikequarterly.com/currentissue.html

They cover cycling like no one else.

Al

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...starts out with reading back issues of BQ, then you trade your carbon for a French lugged steel hung with tweed bags and 38mm skinwall tires and finally end up cycling in beige argyle knee socks and hanging out at Rivendell eating brown rice with organic truffles in a wool jersey that says Seattle Wheelmen.

Actually, sounds pretty good. Hold the truffles.

My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
    I'm not a fan magazines, especially bike magazines. About a month ago I came across one that I really enjoy. I haven't subscribed, but have been buying back issues which are the same price if bought by the year.

They sent me a link for upcoming issue http://www.bikequarterly.com/currentissue.html

They cover cycling like no one else.

Al
    I've enjoyed the issues I've read, but it's glaringly obvious that the editor has a singlemindedness about what makes a "good" bike exceeded only by... well, nobody.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? More than Grant?
    I owe-therefore I am.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BQ is an interesing niche that broadens the cycling world by it's presence. They describe some really sweet rides done rigorously but not competitively on some very traditional equipment. And, like others who guard their niches from being swept away by what's popular or commonly accepted as the norm, BQ seems a little inflexible in keeping its identity. To be honest, I'd probably rather sit outside Starbucks and talk to the editor of BQ than one our local racer dudes-- talk about necessarily single-minded!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BQ, Rivendell and the BOB mindset is pretty much where I'm at these days.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    BOB member #1151 here with an RB-T hanging in the garage and a Romulus nearby. Wasn't there a secret handshake or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    BOB member #1151 here with an RB-T hanging in the garage and a Romulus nearby. Wasn't there a secret handshake or something?

I've been reading and enjoying the BOB list for years...but never officially joined. During the recent move to Google Groups, I finally signed up to the group so I can occasionally post if I ever have anything worthwhile to say. Guess I'll have to learn that handshake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the single mindedness of the editor and the "French lugged Steel". In one article, he writes about his 2007 Paris-Brest http://www.bikequarterly.com/PBP2007.html . He finished it in 50 hours. He's no slouch considering that's 770 miles. He's got credibility in my book and the Randonneur type bike is very appealing to me.

My first good bike at age 11 (1950) was French lugged steel with a three cogs on the back and a real dérailleur. It climbed far better than the Brit bikes with the 3 speed hubs some of the other kids had. It was an oddity in the US at the time. My previous bike had wood rims.

Al

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    Charter member here. Can't remember the number and the card is in my desk at home. It used to blow me away when I would call to order something from the BOB mailer and Grant would answer the phone, advise me and take my order. For a while he would recognize my voice and say "Oh yeah, the guy from Georgia".
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice that cycling offers enough diversity that such a niche can exist. I confess, however, to enjoying reading almost any cycling publication. Some, I like better than others.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't resist a hijack -- Speaking of Georgia, I'm driving to Atlanta (Johns Creek) today. Any bike shops that need to be seen, from a Bobbish, Rivvish, BG-ish point of view? Feel free to PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help you there. Georgia and Atlanta are two very different places. I live in one and occasionally visit the other, mostly for concerts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    Can't resist a hijack -- Speaking of Georgia, I'm driving to Atlanta (Johns Creek) today. Any bike shops that need to be seen, from a Bobbish, Rivvish, BG-ish point of view? Feel free to PM.
    Roswell Bike shop is a big one. Maybe 5 miles west of 400.

http://www.roswellbicycles.com/

About a mile S of there is a Performance outlet.

Al

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the BOB list?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtownmatt View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the BOB list?
    http://groups.google.com/group/internet-bob?hl=en&lnk=

Description: The Internet-BOB list started as a spinoff of the Bridgestone Owner's Bunch, a club for owners of Bridgestone Bicycles. Bridgestone hasn't sold bicycles in the USA since 1994, but this list continues as a place for people who liked the Bridgestone philosophy to hang out.

XR2
    My Bikes
    88 Bridgestone T700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Grant. Don't always agree but he's OK by me. There is much to be said for consistency evolved. And I have owned nothing but Bridgestone since '87 but not an iBOB member. I've yet to read BQ other than the blog and 'site but I am heading that direction in my old age anyway.......................just am a cheep bastidge have problems with the cost.
    I owe-therefore I am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulveyr View Post
    I've enjoyed the issues I've read, but it's glaringly obvious that the editor has a singlemindedness about what makes a "good" bike exceeded only by... well, nobody.
    You haven't read Bicycling lately, have you?

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    Box Dog Pelican, Raleigh Sojourn, Specialized Secteur, 1991 Cannondale tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbycorno View Post
    You haven't read Bicycling lately, have you?

SP
    Bend, OR
    You have a point... the only reason we get Bicycling magazine is because I got a "free" subscription with my last bike.

My wife and I treat it as a humor magazine. A really, really awful humor magazine.
    Knows the weight of my bike to the nearest 10 pounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then there's Mountain Bike Action. Designed to sell the latest new mountain bike monstrosity to keep the industry sales from stagnating. Their "how to" articles are repeats and often conflicting. Some of the articles and picture spreads promote giant leaps and long hospital recoveries.

The bike pictures are nice.

AL

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I subscribe to BQ. Beats the pants off the other mags, as far as I am concerned.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Mike
    My Bikes
    Cignal Silverado MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been a subscriber to Bicycle Quarterly since the second issue came out. I believe that Jan Heine make a good case that newest is not always best for the non-pro rider that most of us are. While he praises items from the heyday of cycling, stressing durability, comfort and funcionality over lightness, he make an interesting case for the continued use of these items or their modern day subsitutes. One only has to look at the popularity of stores like Rivendell and Velo Orange among the more dedicated cyclists that are trying to use their cars less to see that the trend is growing. Yes I do have a bike with 25mm tires, but I certainly ride the one with the 35mm tires much more as it is more comfortable (tried what BQ said and it works). Also ride the steel bikes with their relaxed geometry more than the aluminum ones (BQ and Rivendell tip again). All I can say is to read BQ and the somewhat random production but also interesting Rivendell magazine and judge for yourself. Only you can decide what is best for you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
    Then there's Mountain Bike Action. Designed to sell the latest new mountain bike monstrosity to keep the industry sales from stagnating. Their "how to" articles are repeats and often conflicting. Some of the articles and picture spreads promote giant leaps and long hospital recoveries.

The bike pictures are nice.
    AL
    And therein lies the reason I'll pick up any publication with a bike on the cover.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips on BQ. I would like to see more cycling mags, besides "Bicycling".
    I get a free subscription, as a member of the LAW. I rarely read an entire issue. Yes, I'm sure everyone who rides looks like a supermodel, and rides a bike made of alien spacecraft material, costing thousands. Oh, and of course, every cyclist lives in California, and takes expensive trips to Europe. What? The cold, icy Northeast? Nah, never heard of it. Occasionally, they'll run an interesting article. Hmm, make that rarely.

"Bicycle Guide" wasn't a bad magazine. Not sure when they vanished.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alcanoe, thanks for the Roswell shop tip, but my trip is cancelled. Maybe another time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast