Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great indoor cycling idea?

A week or so there was a post on the Road section about a young computer whiz and cyclist and his project. It was a neat system of sensors that hooked into a laptop with a wire frame cyclist and so you got a virtual ride with front steering and a ton of training data. I could not find the post to provide a link.

Anyway this guy wrote something like 10,000 lines of computer code to get to a prototype. So why not go with something that would work with a Wii system or XBox?

Maybe this already exists? What do you all think. Would it sell if priced right?

Winter will not release it's grip and the thought of more time on the rollers or trainer has me dreaming of a better way to stay in shape without going insane.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wii does have a bicycle program. Apparently needs a set of Wii pedals. I know nothing. Hopefully someone does and will provide input.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    A week or so there was a post on the Road section about a young computer whiz and cyclist and his project. It was a neat system of sensors that hooked into a laptop with a wire frame cyclist and so you got a virtual ride with front steering and a ton of training data. I could not find the post to provide a link.

Anyway this guy wrote something like 10,000 lines of computer code to get to a prototype. So why not go with something that would work with a Wii system or XBox?

Maybe this already exists? What do you all think. Would it sell if priced right?
    To be attractive to me it would have to hook up to your own bike (or an expensive trainer) and control the resistance to match the terrain. It would need a number of alternate routes. It would be incredibly expensive. A cheap alternative might be a good helmet cam video of a few nice rides in beautiful terrain taht fit with what you would like to ride. You could watch it on a large screen TV and adjust resitance to match what you see approaching. That might be more fun than staring at a wall but it could get old fast. When I ride stationary bikes at the gym I listen to NPR or music and the time goes by pretty quickly.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TAcx already has this - as does elite (I think) I own the Tacx Fortius, just looked at ads for the elite. Come to think of it, Computrainer also has this.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    TAcx already has this - as does elite (I think) I own the Tacx Fortius, just looked at ads for the elite. Come to think of it, Computrainer also has this.
    Not cheap, but tempting. Here is a promotional video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNu9bhJ7CD8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was aware of the TAcx system but you need a second mortgage for that.

Guess by the number of replies this is not how I am going to fund my retirement.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wii Frustration

Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus View Post
    Wii does have a bicycle program. Apparently needs a set of Wii pedals. I know nothing. Hopefully someone does and will provide input.
    My wife bought the family a Wii a few months ago - and it really is fun. The interactive aspects let you put out as much effort as you wish, hitting baseballs, playing tennis or ping pong, boxing, dancing...whatever.

However the basic cycling is performed with the hands in a pedaling motion. [I'm not doing that...]. I've searched for a Wii trainer device - and can't find anything. That would be so great... cyclocross courses, the TdF climbs in the Pyrannees, time trials! So far, I've found nothing and I'm disappointed.

My college-aged daughters love the Wii Dance games. They're fun and crazy, too (the games, not the daughters).

PG

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I was aware of the TAcx system but you need a second mortgage for that.
    For the past dozen years or so I have joined the athletic facilities at my university for the winter. This costs me about $250 for 4 months and I go 2 or 3 times a week. This winter I have found it more difficult to motivate myself to go. I can often cycle there but it can be unpleasant. Public transit is unreliable and I have to pay for parking if I drive. Therefore I am thinking of getting rollers for next winter, and one of these virtual systems would be more fun. I would probably exercise more often and the cost would be partially offset by not paying a membership. That is the reason I am tempted.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only "good indoor cycling idea" I've ever had was the idea that I just need to suck it up and put on the right clothing to go outside and ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The only "good indoor cycling idea" I've ever had was the idea that I just need to suck it up and put on the right clothing to go outside and ride.
    Where Ken Brown and I live, that would mean riding on the ice and snow and hosing the salt off every time it warms up . I think I'll get a trainer next fall.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    Where Ken Brown and I live, that would mean riding on the ice and snow and hosing the salt off every time it warms up . I think I'll get a trainer next fall.
    My response applies to me and my situation. No doubt I would find more need to use my trainer if I lived somewhere with real winters.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    March is one of those in-between months... you have to drive further north to go skiing in lousy conditions so most of the time you don't bother and you can't take the bikes out. because of the rain today, snow tomorrow, slush the day after sort of thing.. Wet, wind and cold I can live with but until the salt washes away it's a non-starter.

I see people out there from time to time when the roads are clear and sun is out and you can see the salt dust getting into everything. The guys at all the LBS around here always give people painful looks when they see that.

Ugh. If I had a beater it would be disposable beater. No.. I think I'll spring for a trainer.

Most people wait unti the end of the month so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can arrange it, indoor trainer rides with a group are much less boring and unpleasant. Cheaper than the techno stuff too. And they can be pretty productive for strength and power. My group meets on Wed night and Sat morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billydonn; 03-11-11 at 05:45 AM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't discount the advantages of group trainer sessions (since I don't use a trainer, and won't after my '05 experience). Those of you that can tolerate using a trainer, goodonya. Given the choice of indoor equipment to mate with the bike, I'd mount slicks on my MTB and use rollers.

I'd also recommend an elliptical for those who want a little 'variety'; get one with a 14" radius, it'll closely match your pedal circle. The elliptical mimics the action of standing on the pedals without having to rock the bike, so there is a cycling benefit. Do 20-30 minutes on the elliptical, and you will likely see some climbing improvement.

My idea of a good indoor ride? Ray's MTB Park. Cleveland AND Milwaukee, now.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post

My idea of a good indoor ride? Ray's MTB Park. Cleveland AND Milwaukee, now.
    Pretty cool isn't it? I went there with some of the same guys that I've gone night mtb'ing with.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's where I spent last Saturday indoors, LA Home Depot Velodrome. It's like Disneyland for trackies!

tony_1.jpg