User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: coronary lesion - angioplasty

Any one have any experiences with either of these? As you may know, have stents in left and now issues with the right. Ugh, I just want to ride
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you are having troubles. No direct personal experience here, but my wife is an RN and worked for several years in a cardiac cath lab. If you have questions she probably can help.
    Last edited by KillerBeagle; 03-09-11 at 12:34 PM.
    2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear about your heart situation. I wish you the best. I can tell you about a lot of things, but not heart stents!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a complete obstruction of the right main coronary artery. It was treated very quickly with stents. By an incredible stroke of luck, my cardiac enzymes barely showed a blip, and follow-up echo-cardiograms and thallium stress tests are negative for any significant anatomical or physiology abnormalities. I do have a low grade obstructions on the left anterior descending and another on the circumflex, but those are actually receding. My cardiologist tells me if and only if I stick with the major life-style changes I've made since then, including getting back into cycling big time, I can expect to live out a normal life span with normal quality of life. My intent is to prove him wrong by doing better than "normal" on both counts.

That's my story... I mention it only to point out what's possible. Right now, I'm doing about 50 miles/week, including maybe 1000 feet of climbing every other ride. Pretty wimpy, I know, but I am getting stronger. The Plavix & statins I'm on don't interfere with my riding. Neither did the ACE-inhibitor I was on for hypertension, but I'm weaned off that now.

That said, each case is entirely unique to the person affected, though, so your doctor is your best source of information. Talk to him about what you'd like to do and see what he has to say. You might be pleasantly surprised.

-Bert

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, Dr appt is next week. Ran thru a second nuke treadmill this week and hopefully that will clear up questions about the extent of the issue. A main concern is it this progressing.

Ah, but ever the optimist, went to a tri LBS event and picked up an Orbea helmet. I think it will be much nicer than the Giro. I plan to give it a spin on Friday.

OH, the only way I knew I was having a problem was because I was tracking my ride times and saw greater than a 10% average decrease. Sometimes it is good to be analytical.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just fyi, report came back good. It's just need to work on getting back in shape. Hummm, think I can do that
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran across your post and had to reply. I'm 61, a former runner and more recently, a cyclist. In 11 months I've racked up 2500 miles on my MTB and 800 on by road bike. Last Sunday at mile 15 of a 20 mile ride I hit a wall and completely ran out of gas...limped home, had a shower, but was still out of breath and had chest pain. Once I conceded that this was not normal and not going away, my wife drove me to the local hospital and within an hour of presenting myself at the ER window had received a stent. I had 95% blockage in the LDCA but was fortunate to have very minimal damage. I had no prior symtoms. This was a Sunday afternoon surprise that might have been curtains. I'm now on the Plavix, Aspirin, statin and blood pressure routine and am waiting to get back out. I need to go see the cardiologist, but her initial visit in the hospital with me did not indicate any problem resuming normal activity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
    Just fyi, report came back good. It's just need to work on getting back in shape. Hummm, think I can do that
    I missed this report. GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Denver. The wind is horrible today. I'm not sure if I'll try it tonight or not. 31 mph throws me all over the road.

Great icon, but with your experiences, I think I would color the barbs bright red
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
    Thanks Denver. The wind is horrible today. I'm not sure if I'll try it tonight or not. 31 mph throws me all over the road.

Great icon, but with your experiences, I think I would color the barbs bright red
    I did about 20 miles total in a couple of rides before noon.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 'coronary event' in 2002, which resulted in a stent being placed in the Left Circumflex Artery. I did several lifestyle changes after that, including improving my diet, and riding my bicycle more and more - to the point where I got rid of my car and the bike is now my primary mode of transport. No problems in the past 9 years, all of the routine checks have come back good. I did give my cardiologist a hard time about the fact that there is no bike rack at his office......