Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice on new used bike.

I just started shopping craigslist for a new used bike, and quickly realized that I no longer have any idea of what brands are quality and which are junk. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I need a bike to use for chores on our farm (possibly with a cart behind it), and to use to ride to town (5 miles 1 way on rural roads, with little or no shoulder), and to other shopping (about 8 miles).

I'm thinking that a mountain bike, with at least front suspension would be good for on farm, and in the case of having to get off the edge of the pavement in a pinch.

A good sturdy bike is probably more important than an extremely light bike.

I'm assuming I would need to fit fenders onto a mountain bike to stay dry on wet roads.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill NC

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are dozens of brands that are good. Rather than list all the good ones, why not find a few bikes on CL that appeal to you and post the info. We'll tell you if its a good brand and if the price is right.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ron, thanks.

Here are the first two that caught my eye.

Gotta do evening chores.

Bill

almost new FUJI Nevada Mountain Bike with accessories - $200 (raleigh( near NCSU))

Date: 2011-03-09, 12:49AM EST
    Reply to: sale-yxyhh-2255340566@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

looks like new, I rarely use this bike after I bought it. Come with a new helmet, a mini pump, a strong Combination lock. I spent $340 on these one year ago.

cash only, local pick up only(near NCSU)

email me if you are interested.

some detail from website about this bike.
    19 inch
    Speeds -24
    Shifters 每 Shimano 8 speed sequenced thumb shifters
    Saddle 每 TFI Liberator anatomical
    Front derailleur 每 Shimano Alivio
    Rear derailleur 每 Shimano Alivio
    Cassette 每 Shimano Alivio 11-28
    Chainring 每 Shimano ※A§ 42/32/22
    Wheels 每 26∪ Alexrims, double wall aluminum 36H
    Hubs 每 Formula
    Tires 每 WTB Velociraptor 2.1, with front and rear tread designs

JEEP Mountain Bike - $95 (Downtown Raleigh, NC)

Date: 2011-03-09, 12:32PM EST
    Reply to: sale-mn6kc-2255977116@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Jeep Mountain Bike, almost-new condition. Tires in good condition. Stored in doors, just tuned up. Comes with rear mud guard and mounting lock and Trunk Mounting Bike Rack. Buyer must come pick up.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want new or do you want used? Can't be both. Looks like a used bike is what you want.
    All else being equal, a fuji would have a better chance of being ok quality than a Jeep, especially a Jeep with full suspension.
    Can't really tell much about the jeep from the pic.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $200. you will get a basic bike. The Fuji name is a solid one. The components are definitely lower end, but for the kind of riding you describe should give you a couple of good years. You will need to be handy making some derailer adjustments.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan, Spydyr,

Thanks.

Would the adjustments be due to the thumb shifter? Could I change the shifter to the old fashioned lever shifter?

Bill

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stay away from the "Jeep" . . .

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to start by figuring out what size bike you need. After that, I'd look for an MTB like the Fuji and run from anything full suspension. Personally, I wouldn't even want front suspension on a workhorse bike. Full rigid steel bike would be a good choice IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. I found an online calculator, and it looks like I would need a 17-18" frame.

I've got my old Schwinn 10 speed hanging in the barn. Maybe I could grease all the bearings, find some on/off road tires for it, switch the handlebars for the mountain bike style?

Bill

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill NC View Post
    Good point. I found an online calculator, and it looks like I would need a 17-18" frame.

I've got my old Schwinn 10 speed hanging in the barn. Maybe I could grease all the bearings, find some on/off road tires for it, switch the handlebars for the mountain bike style?
    Bill
    It would be at least as good as the Jeep bike.

I would leave the drop bars on it. Think cyclocross.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Response, Greenzone Folder, Huffy and Free Spirit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Bill:

Don't worry about brands look at the quality of the components. My commuter is an upper end Huffy and I am very pleased with her. I bought her for $ 35 from craigslist and since she was so cheap I don't worry about theft. At present my upgrades cost more than the origanal bicycle! Sure my bike club laughs at her behind my back, but I like her.

John

My Bikes
    Heckler / Nomad / Blur LT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That jeep is junk. Go with the fuji. Or if you want a real cargo bike try the Surly Big Dummy. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy_complete/
    .......... __o
    ......... -\<
    ........(_)/(_)

People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john426 View Post
    Dear Bill:

upper end Huffy

John
    Cool, didn't know there was a high end Huffy.

My Bikes
    Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, Wizwheelz 3.4 trike, Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upper end Huffy is an oxymoron. You can get an honest appraisal on almost any bike by googling on the name and model. See what other people are asking for the same bike. Most times that will bring up reviews on the bike and you can find out exactly what people paid for it new rather than by what the seller tells you. It also gives a list of the good and bad points on the bike and maybe how it has held up with time and miles. If you are at all handy, lubricating and adjusting things on an older bike is worth the effort. My very first thing to check on a used bike is the weight. If it is more suitable for weight lifting than riding (like most mass merchandiser bikes) I move on to a different bike. Don't buy anything with a one-piece crank. That screams CHEAP!. Check to see if the shifters work and the wheels spin freely and are true (no wobble). Do the brakes work? Run the bike forward while not on the bike and grab the brake handles hard. You should be able to lift the rear of the bike with the front brake and skid the rear wheel with the rear brake. Sometimes there is a sticker showing where the bike was bought. Look for one from a bike store. There are a lot of lightly used bikes that people get tired of having hang in the garage and put them up for sale. Often times they have very few miles on the bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasTriker View Post
    Upper end Huffy is an oxymoron.
    Oh yeah?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ditalia/121218

Last edited by BluesDawg; 03-15-11 at 09:34 PM.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Oh yeah?
    From: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...y-giro-ditalia
    Though it wore the red, green and white livery and labels of official team sponsor Huffy, Hampsten's bike was actually a custom made rig crafted to his specifications by famed US builder John Slawta of Land Shark after a team-issued frame broke beneath him earlier that spring at Fleche-Wallone. That failure was eventually sourced back to an errant shipment by the builder's tubing supplier but still, Hampsten says his confidence was shaken and he wanted to go with something tried and true.

"I felt bad about not using a Serotta [the company that actually built the team 'Huffys'] and sticking with the team supplier," Hampsten told us. "It wasn't Serotta's fault. But I was in a period of my life when I didn't like crashing due to mystery bike failures, so I went with the sure ride I knew Land Shark would build for me.

Yeah!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    From: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...y-giro-ditalia
    Though it wore the red, green and white livery and labels of official team sponsor Huffy, Hampsten's bike was actually a custom made rig crafted to his specifications by famed US builder John Slawta of Land Shark after a team-issued frame broke beneath him earlier that spring at Fleche-Wallone. That failure was eventually sourced back to an errant shipment by the builder's tubing supplier but still, Hampsten says his confidence was shaken and he wanted to go with something tried and true.

"I felt bad about not using a Serotta [the company that actually built the team 'Huffys'] and sticking with the team supplier," Hampsten told us. "It wasn't Serotta's fault. But I was in a period of my life when I didn't like crashing due to mystery bike failures, so I went with the sure ride I knew Land Shark would build for me.

Yeah!
    It was still an upper end Huffy.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New used = Used bike, new to him.

Here are some tips:

1. For real bargains, go to a lot of garage sales. You won't be able to check things out on the forum, but bikes at garage sales are much cheaper than those on Craigslist. My wonderful bike cost only $65.

2. Check craigslist often, and be quick in posting here and responding to an ad that looks good.

3. As for putting mountain bike handlebars on a road bike, it's easier and more versatile to put inline brakes on the top bar of the drop handlebars. You'll have the best of both worlds.

But I should say that once you get used to having brakes on the top, it will be hard to get rid of them, and it make installing brake cables twice as much work. I wish I didn't have these, but I worry that I'd crash in an emergency when going to them automatically.

4. The best tip is to be patient. Maybe you should get a temp beater bike to hold you until just the right thing comes along.
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 03-17-11 at 12:49 PM.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Stay away from the "Jeep" . . .
    You can get a brand new "Jeep" at Walmart for about $90. It's called a "Next." It's a disposable bike. Ride it until it wears out. It isn't worth fixing.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png