Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really Loving the Leg Warmers

I've never used leg warmers until this last year and this year.

They are perfect for me for when I start riding and it is about 42-45F (that's when I wear them) and 50+ (when I take them off). Much colder, and I will use thicker full winter tights and much warmer, and I will just use my bibs with no leg covering.

Anyone else?
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, leg warmers are the bee's knees, the cat's meow and just plain tikkety-boo - a very versatile piece of clothing. They keep the legs warm and cozy in the morning and store easily in a back pocket when the temperature rises. I heart leg warmers.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leg warmers are good; been using them for 40+ years now.

More recently into knee warmers, and have 2 pr. with one pr. just covering my knees and the larger (Pearl Izume Thermal) pr. going down to about 6" from my ankle.

On super cold days (below 40 deg.F) I use the short knee warmers under my wool tights!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Leg warmers are good; been using them for 40+ years now.

More recently into knee warmers, and have 2 pr. with one pr. just covering my knees and the larger (Pearl Izume Thermal) pr. going down to about 6" from my ankle.

On super cold days (below 40 deg.F) I use the short knee warmers under my wool tights!

Rick / OCRR
    Have you tried wool leg warmers? How do you like your wool tights?

I like my lycra leg warmers but the elastic gripper irritates my skin and I have to fold the top over so it doesn't make contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK79 View Post
    Does the ignore feature just replace all of the poster's text with "Said something stupid" because that would be awesome.
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never used leg warmers but I do wear knee warmers and love them along with arm warmers.
    Easy to take off and store in back pocket when it warms up.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Have you tried wool leg warmers? How do you like your wool tights?
    Yes and No CbadRider, My really short knee warmers are a wool blend, so not 100% wool like my tights.

I like my wool tights (Joneswear) a lot. They keep me warm even when they're wet, very comfortable. They are just a micro-tad too big for me, so they bunch up a bit and sometimes I catch them on the saddle when switching from standing to sitting. Oh, . . . and they are a big bundle if the day warms up too much for them (and your personal SAG isn't handy).

Big picture though, I really like them on those really cold rides when it isn't likely to get much warmer.

I do have 100% wool arm warmers (Pearl Izume) and those are really excellent.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still using my 100% Merino wool tights and leg warmers I got from Protogs back in the late 70s.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knee warmers come handy on days like today when it is too cool for bare knees but not cold enough for my thick tights.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For lower unit warmth it's bib knickers for me on cool days.... with some wool knee warmers worn down on my calves sometimes. (The largest leg warmers are still pretty tight on my massive quads!)

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have leg and knee warmers but really prefer tights as I don't need to keep pulling them up. Also the elastic in them often irritates my skin. I have tights in several different weights so it's easy to choose one for the current temp.

The one thing I could never give up is my arm warmers
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see, I also have leg warmers, arm warmers, knee warmers, bib knickers, tights, numerous long fingered gloves, 2 head warmers, balalcava (sp), wind vests and several jackets plus the best bed warmer in the world! If someone can tell me where to find all my cycling stuff when I need it I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the last decade or so I've followed the simple rule of not starting a ride when it's below 55 degrees unless the legs are covered. Hence, I've got several tights all of different thickness. I'm usually good to go down to about 20 degrees until I have to start layering the bottom half. I wish I could get leg warmers to stay up, it would make the 50 to 55 degree days so much easier.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my leg warmers, I can use them with my bib-knickers when it is cold. I usually don't take them off because when it is cold enough to use them they stay for the whole ride. Arm warmers on the other hand can go on and off several times in a ride.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Let's see, I also have leg warmers, arm warmers, knee warmers, bib knickers, tights, numerous long fingered gloves, 2 head warmers, balalcava (sp), wind vests and several jackets plus the best bed warmer in the world! If someone can tell me where to find all my cycling stuff when I need it I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Me too!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Pug
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my first pair of leg warmers and have a stupid question: Does the top of the leg warmer go over or under the bottom of my shorts? Thanks!

My Bikes
    Specialized S-works e-5, Davinci joint venture, Specialized Vienna Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife wears them both ways and cannot keep them up in either case!
    R&J

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when it's too warm for my headwind pants I'll wear my lululemon Seawall pants with ankle bands http://shop.lululemon.com/pd/p/1915.html
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pug View Post
    Just got my first pair of leg warmers and have a stupid question: Does the top of the leg warmer go over or under the bottom of my shorts? Thanks!
    I wear mine over my shorts, but I don't know that it makes any difference. If folks start pointing at you and giggling and guffawing, you might change the position - but OTOH - they might be looking at the person behind you, so one never knows for sure.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a pair of leg warmers last week when a local discount store had them at 50% off. They are great. Finally decided that the best way to wear them is tucked under the bicycle shorts at the thighs. No problem with them creeping down except if I try to wear them with my "comfort" shorts, which I no longer will. It's nice to know that I can easily change my warmth requirements here along the coast when the wind shifts off the ocean and the temperature drops abruptly.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first knee warmers a couple of years ago and agree they are great for "in between" weather (too warm for tights, too cold to go without).

But this winter/spring I've gotten a lot more use out of these *fantastic* Ibex wool knickers. Fast becoming one of my favorite cycling garments:

http://www.amazon.com/Ibex-Cycling-S...2579627&sr=8-2

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Anyone else?
    I won a pair of nice Pearl Izumi warmers at the club Christmas party this past year. I was skeptical but they are really nice to have. I'm not one for having all the cycling gear, but these allow me to wear cycling shorts further into the winter weather. I've worn them down below 30 and they work great.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they should be under the shorts. If they are a good quality pair there should be some grippy material on the inside at the top to keep them from sliding down.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got mine I wore them over but they would slide down over time, now I wear them under and they never slide down.
    Under for the win.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    I think they should be under the shorts. If they are a good quality pair there should be some grippy material on the inside at the top to keep them from sliding down.
    +1

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely under the shorts and with a good bit of overlap to best avoid having them slip down.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast