Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lumbar fusion update and info

been post op 4 weeks --walking 2 miles per day--most pain gone --have follow up md visit soon and wonder about talking bikes with someone who does not know bikes ---both mine have drops will this be better or worse for my case ---i have 4 screws 2rods and a cage ----any info will be helpful

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my neighbours has had 4 operations on his back in the last 3 years and rides a MTB extensively and can't ride in the drops so it flatbar only. He also uses an elliptical when he's not riding. He found out last fall that he's lost about 4% bone density over the last year from not doing enough load bearing exercise.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you go to physical therapy? If so, the PT might be a better resource as to what kind of bike you can ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only had a single fusion (L5-S1) and I actually have more flexibility than I did while my broken vertibra was causing so much nerve damage. I second asking the PT about your situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add Pilates as my recommendation. I have had 3 fusions and Pilates has helped to strengthen my core muscles. I use drops now but stayed on the hoods for quite awhile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding my bike (with everyone's permission) 17 days post op from L-4; L-5 fusion. Swimming 14 days after. However, PT wanted me on an upright bike, NOT a road bike. I used a mtn bike with high bars. I went to the road bike after about 2-3 months or so, again with permission.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-10-11 at 02:11 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the md has me concerned he said due to my working out and riding a bike 6 days out of 7 for years pt was not needed---what do i need to look for in a pt and what questions should i ask--might add the mds brother is a pro cyclist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry h View Post
    the md has me concerned he said due to my working out and riding a bike 6 days out of 7 for years pt was not needed---what do i need to look for in a pt and what questions should i ask--might add the mds brother is a pro cyclist
    My MD already has a working relationship with a PT he trusts. There were a lot of things we did to insure that my back would heal correctly, strengthen certain muscles important to that and the recovery process. I would guess look for someone experienced with back surgery recovery. She was amazed at how quickly I recovered, specifically citing the skill of the surgeon (who used a minimally invasive approach) and my very high fitness level at age 71.

I had mine October 28, 2010.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have told you about my experience so I won't go into details. I'll just say the MD said do what I could bear and use common sense. I went back to racing MX on dirt bikes and riding at 6 weks.

Bill