Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lumbar fusion update and info

been post op 4 weeks --walking 2 miles per day--most pain gone --have follow up md visit soon and wonder about talking bikes with someone who does not know bikes ---both mine have drops will this be better or worse for my case ---i have 4 screws 2rods and a cage ----any info will be helpful

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my neighbours has had 4 operations on his back in the last 3 years and rides a MTB extensively and can't ride in the drops so it flatbar only. He also uses an elliptical when he's not riding. He found out last fall that he's lost about 4% bone density over the last year from not doing enough load bearing exercise.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you go to physical therapy? If so, the PT might be a better resource as to what kind of bike you can ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
    Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*

My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only had a single fusion (L5-S1) and I actually have more flexibility than I did while my broken vertibra was causing so much nerve damage. I second asking the PT about your situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to add Pilates as my recommendation. I have had 3 fusions and Pilates has helped to strengthen my core muscles. I use drops now but stayed on the hoods for quite awhile.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding my bike (with everyone's permission) 17 days post op from L-4; L-5 fusion. Swimming 14 days after. However, PT wanted me on an upright bike, NOT a road bike. I used a mtn bike with high bars. I went to the road bike after about 2-3 months or so, again with permission.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-10-11 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the md has me concerned he said due to my working out and riding a bike 6 days out of 7 for years pt was not needed---what do i need to look for in a pt and what questions should i ask--might add the mds brother is a pro cyclist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry h View Post
    the md has me concerned he said due to my working out and riding a bike 6 days out of 7 for years pt was not needed---what do i need to look for in a pt and what questions should i ask--might add the mds brother is a pro cyclist
    My MD already has a working relationship with a PT he trusts. There were a lot of things we did to insure that my back would heal correctly, strengthen certain muscles important to that and the recovery process. I would guess look for someone experienced with back surgery recovery. She was amazed at how quickly I recovered, specifically citing the skill of the surgeon (who used a minimally invasive approach) and my very high fitness level at age 71.

I had mine October 28, 2010.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have told you about my experience so I won't go into details. I'll just say the MD said do what I could bear and use common sense. I went back to racing MX on dirt bikes and riding at 6 weks.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney