Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Rant, Rave, it's Bugging Me, I Want to Vent and Let Off Steam Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 05:04 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

You got something bugging you that you don't want to start a thread about, but just want somewhere to let off some steam?

Well, here is where you can do that.

I thought we might try this. If it fails, it will just drift off into the never ending bunch of other threads clogging up cyberspace. If it works, it might be kind of interesting to see what folks post.

POST AWAY!!
Old 03-11-11, 05:08 PM
Banned.

My first "It's bugging me" post.

Got my very first goathead flat of the year. Went to the garage to go for a ride with my wife - first ride after her TKR - on the utility road bike, and phsstt - flat rear tire. This was an easy one to find. The goathead was sticking right in the side of the Continental Ultra Gatorskin.

Anyway, had to take the mtn bike. Fixed it this morning, and took a ride - so far no more GH's.

There, finished with my first official rant.
Old 03-11-11, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Not me, Denver. Everything is copacetic!
Old 03-11-11, 05:14 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by NOS88
Not me, Denver. Everything is copacetic!
Well, just in case life hands you a lemon, we are here for you! Lemonade is our specialty.
Old 03-11-11, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Are we limited to a single rant or can we save 'em up and let fly with a whole bunch? If multiple rants are permissible, is there some sort of limit per week, per month or annually? My own preference would be a lift time limit of, for example, say six rants which if exceeded would automatically invoke a ban, also good for a lifetime.
Old 03-11-11, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sun is shining, spring is coming like a run away freight train, days are getting longer, daylight savings time will here Sunday, God is on his throne and all is right with the world so no rant
here. :-) Sorry, you ask for a rant. My bad. Now you got me thinking to try and come up with a rant. It's all in the timing. OK, got one, I hate pollen but love what it does for the plants in our lives.
Old 03-11-11, 06:43 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My dog got 3 first place blue rosettes in her first 3 trials! I am so upset because now we have no place to go but down!

-sorry, that's the best I could come up with. Everything is going well.

-ps... I'm not really upset. But we can pretend.
Old 03-11-11, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan, people dying by the hundreds. Other Pacific islands including Hawaii are threatened as was the west coast of Canada and the US.

So what does Channel 5 (WEWS - Cleveland) 6 0'Clock News headline? News about last night's snowfall, that's what! Most of the 30 minute news broadcast featured local weather with only a snippet of the catastrophe in Japan thrown in.

Last edited by Louis; 03-11-11 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 06:55 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bank has made five errors which impacted me in the last two months. Five.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-11-11, 07:05 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by berner
Are we limited to a single rant or can we save 'em up and let fly with a whole bunch? If multiple rants are permissible, is there some sort of limit per week, per month or annually? My own preference would be a lift time limit of, for example, say six rants which if exceeded would automatically invoke a ban, also good for a lifetime.
Well, looks like you have five left!
Old 03-11-11, 07:08 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our "Sub-Freezing" weather is finally winding down. We are actually registering more time above freezing than below!

Of course the downside is that our daily snowfalls have now become daily rain.

The wife and I were surveying the outdoor Summer Chores for 2011, and again we need to clean and stain the two decks and the porch floor. Last year it rained so often that the wood never had a chance to dry or we would have had those chores completed. I was telling my daughter that I actually can't remember the last time our yard and deck were really dry.

That's the little stuff. Wah wah wah. I will stay away the the serious crap for now.
Old 03-11-11, 07:55 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Our "Sub-Freezing" weather is finally winding down. We are actually registering more time above freezing than below!

Of course the downside is that our daily snowfalls have now become daily rain.

The wife and I were surveying the outdoor Summer Chores for 2011, and again we need to clean and stain the two decks and the porch floor. Last year it rained so often that the wood never had a chance to dry or we would have had those chores completed. I was telling my daughter that I actually can't remember the last time our yard and deck were really dry.

That's the little stuff. Wah wah wah. I will stay away the the serious crap for now.
Same here Lenny - I have a lot to rant about today, it was a really bad day in the salt mine. 7 more years, with a few more days like today I am not sure I can make it.
Old 03-11-11, 08:27 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
My bank has made five errors which impacted me in the last two months. Five.

Do not pass "GO" Do not collect $200
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
untitled.jpg (13.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-11-11, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have so much snow that i can't get my bikes out of the cellar till it melts from in front of it's door

wpt
Old 03-11-11, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Come on now, most of us on here are considered old and decrepitated by the young whippersnappers of the world and we should be allowed more than six rants, heck, some of us old pharts can pop off six before lunch. I guess that's one of my allotment so I'll be quiet now.
Old 03-11-11, 11:04 PM

Location: Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama

Bikes: Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pokey1
We have so much snow that i can't get my bikes out of the cellar till it melts from in front of it's door wpt
I had a similar situation. Lots of snow fell and piled up in front of the workshed door. But there was this thing sitting around... They call it a "snow shovel".
Old 03-11-11, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's something worth moaning about: The weather's improving and I'm back out there trying to build my strength back up. Either older guys lose strength and stamina faster than younger guys, or I took it a lot easier over the winter than I realized.

But pushing myself just a bit this afternoon, I got winded pretty fast, and my chest burned down inside. I recognize the feeling - not a heart attack (though I have a stent inside) but just simple exertion. I need to build back up a long way.

This is going to be a long, hard spring...
Old 03-12-11, 12:00 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoulder pain + elbow pain so I can't ride/garden/cook/bake/clean or much else without pain.... and then there's ankle pain while walking. Did I mention pain in my index finger making it difficult to open things? But the sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow! and there are a bazillion other horrible afflictions I could have but don't by the grace of God.... so, really, I don't have any rants, raves, or things bugging me right now.
Old 03-12-11, 12:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm damned glad I don't live in Japan.
Old 03-12-11, 12:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All that has been on the news and in the headlines is the earthquake, Louis. What's wrong with your news? This is the most massive earthquake to hit the earth in most peoples' lifetimes. My goodness, did you see that Tsunami roaring 6 miles inland! SIX miles! Now they are worried about the nuclear power plants overheating because the power is out. Hopefully, no meltdown. Japan has retrofitted for large earthquakes well, but not for the Tsunamis that follow them. It was horrifying to watch those people in the vehicles trying to flee and just getting swept away. Here's my rant- there are far too many people in the US who never think about anything beyond their own little town. This is a global world. I would complain to your news station big time. They are only reinforcing the idea that all that matters is last nights snow fall. sheesh. You can watch much of the videos on CNN on line.

Our news showed these stupid people in running out on the beach before the Tsunami waves hit the coast of CA. When a Tsunami is coming, it sucks all the water away from the shore first. Luckily, it was just a few impressive waves here in CA.
Old 03-12-11, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Now THAT'S a rant.

Well done outwest5.
Old 03-12-11, 06:42 AM
Banned.

The DARWIN award this week goes to the guys in Northern California (near Crescent City) and a couple of guys in Oregon who went to the oceanfront to take pictures of the tsunami. Even with hours of warning. these idiots were right there when the tsunami came and they really got to see it up close - so up close that they were swept to sea, one to never return. Now the Coast Guard gets to spend a lot of time and $$ looking for this yo-yo's body.

How absolutely stupid can people get?

(OK 4 rants to go)
Old 03-12-11, 06:45 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by xizangstan
I'm damned glad I don't live in Japan.
If one lives near the San Andreas fault (and many other faults all around the world), welll . . . . . . . . . it's just a matter of time.

The human population resides on this planet earth only at the whim of Mother Nature. We measly humans think we have some control over our lives - yet, one tornado, earthquake, tsunami, blizzard, huge volcanic explosion, landslide, forest fire, ice storm, asteroid, solar flare, etc., etc., can change our minds and live's quickly. There supposedly is a huge volcano on the Canary Islands in the Atlantic Ocean that an explosion could create a tsunami that will wipe out the east coast of the US of A, etc.

"The Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma presents a severe threat to cities all around the North Atlantic, as a future eruption could trigger a “mega-tsunami”.

Such a disaster would be one of the worst in recorded history, devastating the coasts of North America, Brazil, the Caribbean, North Africa and Atlantic Europe. Hundreds of millions of people would have to be evacuated, and the total cost would run into trillions of pounds."

https://forums.techguy.org/civilized-...ittle-but.html

Last edited by DnvrFox; 03-12-11 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-12-11, 07:15 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xizangstan
I had a similar situation. Lots of snow fell and piled up in front of the workshed door. But there was this thing sitting around... They call it a "snow shovel".
So I was wondering.....why don't Snow Shovels melt when it gets warm out?
Old 03-12-11, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Perhaps the number of allowable rants should be indexed to the economy or other socio/political considerations, cycling weather or number of punctures in last 30 days or ... well, you get the idea. I don't have time to develop this approach just now as I'm going to go ride my bike. The weather is finally warming up around here and the bike path is clear of snow and ice. Yeaaa. Whoops. Sorry. I'll come back after the ride and rant about something or other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.