Thread: Rude awakening

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rude awakening

Just like so many posts I have read here, people have told me that I don't look anywhere near my age, that they find it hard to believe I do the things I do and after hearing that, you begin to believe it. Last week I was running some experiments at work, these basically were timing people doing an activity a new technology I am working on should make a lot easier. We videoed each test subject doing the task.

I was one of the test subjects, I watch the video of me. Man do I look like an old guy fumbling around. The experiment went extremely well, but I just got really down because, for the first time - I saw pictures and even worse - a video where I really did look and act old. I don't feel old, but I now know I look and act old. I have a picture of me when I was in my early 40's, I looked like I was in my early 20's, now - to me anyway, father time caught up with me.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camera doesn't lie. I saw a pic of me riding and a was amazed by my "aero-belly" and I thought I was looking pretty trim.

However the scale doesn't lie, and I;m doing ok in the weight dept.

On the down side, my BP is a bit high despite 150+ mi a week, and now my dr wants a more agressive treatment of my Cholesterol (192, 66 hdl, 110 ldl) Its the 110 ldl that they are not happy with.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Just like so many posts I have read here, people have told me that I don't look anywhere near my age, that they find it hard to believe I do the things I do and after hearing that, you begin to believe it. Last week I was running some experiments at work, these basically were timing people doing an activity a new technology I am working on should make a lot easier. We videoed each test subject doing the task.

I was one of the test subjects, I watch the video of me. Man do I look like an old guy fumbling around. The experiment went extremely well, but I just got really down because, for the first time - I saw pictures and even worse - a video where I really did look and act old. I don't feel old, but I now know I look and act old. I have a picture of me when I was in my early 40's, I looked like I was in my early 20's, now - to me anyway, father time caught up with me.
    Mirrors and pictures are NOT my friend.

But, I bet you look a lot younger than many folks your age. I know I do Just ask me!

Neil_B
    I'd never seen photos of myself walking before a couple of months ago. Makes me want to have everything below my hips cut off.

On the right:

On the left:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, so have someone shoot a video of you on your bike pulling away from the pack....it'll take years off of you!!!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Yeh, so have someone shoot a video of you on your bike pulling away from the pack....it'll take years off of you!!!
    Leading the pack going up a hill.

[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I guess we hear what we want to hear but when we see the truth we can't ignore it.

Lenny - this is why I like you, you can always come up with the brighter side. I think I will have to wait for August - that is about the time I usually peak. I can't pull away from the A group riders, but by August I am usually in the strong B+ group.

I am just in a blue funk right now, the way I am being treated by our new (young & ADHD) management at work just makes me long for retirement, and realizing that I have at most 7 years also makes me feel old. Lately the only thing that makes me feel young and happy is hanging out with my 10YO, when she will have me. But alas I know that I only have about 3 more years before the aliens take her and substitute one of their own in her place.

My Bikes
    Fantom 29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a video of me pulling away from the pack, but they must be playing it backwards, because I'm falling behind them.

Wait, what's a pack? I can usually keep up with a six-pack.

What were we talking about?

squirrel!

Aní though the rules of the road have been lodged
    Itís only peopleís games that you got to dodge ~ Bob Dylan

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
    2010 Jamis Quest

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like so many posts I have read here, people have told me that I don't look anywhere near my age,.
    Gee, people are constantly telling me that I don't act anywhere near my age. And they say it like it's a bad thing.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still feel 19. But my body is trying to convince me otherwise.
    2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now watch that video again, only this time through the eyes of your younger peers.

Do you see that older gent, the confident one who's running this program, the guy with all that experience all rolled up in one neat package, the guy who's so close to retirement that he can taste it? I hear that not only is his career a roaring success but he's an avid and excelent downhill skier and a sincere and strong cyclist. He actually races his bike UP Whiteface Mt.!! On top of all that, he's a family man!

Lucky stiff!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see being a bit bummed when you see those little reminders; I see them almost daily now, in the ridges around my eyes, and such.

BUT -- at the end of the day -- I really couldn't care less what I look like doing what I do. There's ONE guy at work who can out-ride me, and NO ONE who can out-build me on the job. I have one nephew (bout to be 17) who has enough skill on the bike to be a challenge on a ride.

I know my limits, have accepted them with some reluctance, but still 'nudge' them (rather than push). Just passed 52, and I have this rep at work for being the crazy one. Winter pedaling helps with that image.....

Screw 'em; until they're feeding me, clothing/sheltering me, or sleeping with me, their opinions are bad air.

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a pic of any of us on our bike. Then take a pic of us at full extension in a recliner chair. Strange how much younger we look just by changing our "ride".

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    Take a pic of any of us on our bike. Then take a pic of us at full extension in a recliner chair. Strange how much younger we look just by changing our "ride".
    Um, that won't work so well for *cough* the guys on bents *cough*.

< ducks and runs >
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.óPeter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by '47 View Post
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    LOL....these young wise-a**es just don't quit!

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's only one person who needs to think I look good. And she does.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom likes to say, "I'm not getting older, my kids are!"
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at some old home movies. I looked a something videotaped when I was about 42, and I what struck me was how fast I moved (wife too). I was just cutting some birthday cake, and getting something from the other room, but I moved faster than I do today.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now watch that video again, only this time through the eyes of your younger peers.

Do you see that older gent, the confident one who's running this program, the guy with all that experience all rolled up in one neat package, the guy who's so close to retirement that he can taste it? I hear that not only is his career a roaring success but he's an avid and excelent downhill skier and a sincere and strong cyclist. He actually races his bike UP Whiteface Mt.!! On top of all that, he's a family man!

Lucky stiff!!

Thanks Lenny - that post made me smile.
    We also just finished up the race season with the award banquet. My daughter was not considered a strong contender and many times was very frustrated. She finished in a very strong position, not at the top but well up in the middle, we were so afraid she would end up DFL, we did not want to see her crushed. We were all so happy for her, the key was consistency, where lots of other kids had great single races, she was consistent. Today was a good day!

Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    I can see being a bit bummed when you see those little reminders; I see them almost daily now, in the ridges around my eyes, and such.

BUT -- at the end of the day -- I really couldn't care less what I look like doing what I do. There's ONE guy at work who can out-ride me, and NO ONE who can out-build me on the job. I have one nephew (bout to be 17) who has enough skill on the bike to be a challenge on a ride.

I know my limits, have accepted them with some reluctance, but still 'nudge' them (rather than push). Just passed 52, and I have this rep at work for being the crazy one. Winter pedaling helps with that image.....

Screw 'em; until they're feeding me, clothing/sheltering me, or sleeping with me, their opinions are bad air.
    Lots of guys at work can out ride me, but when the work force is close to 2000 - the odds are against you. There are also lots of people who are smarter and more creative, heck - when most of those you work with are world class scientists and engineers - again, being at the top is Nobel prize quality. I know what my advantage is - a broad range of experience, and like my daughter, consistency over more than 30 years.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    Um, that won't work so well for *cough* the guys on bents *cough*.

< ducks and runs >
    Heh! In that case, go to post #5. Although I have to say, I'm not moving too well since wrenching my back in December!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't necessarily want to look old, but really, it's the being old that's the issue, and if I'm 50 and I look 50, that's okay by me. If I was 50 and looked 60, then I'd get upset.

I gave up trying to guess women's ages. Several female cyclists turned out to be older than I figured. From which, I deduce that cycling is good for you. Also, they turned out to be about my age, so that was okay, too.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride more. Lose weight. Avoid cameras.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cyclingfool, I know your pain. I have to go to my 40th high school renioun this year and don't want to look the oldest. Maybe something like this helps some.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of guys at work can out ride me, but when the work force is close to 2000 - the odds are against you. There are also lots of people who are smarter and more creative, heck - when most of those you work with are world class scientists and engineers - again, being at the top is Nobel prize quality. I know what my advantage is - a broad range of experience, and like my daughter, consistency over more than 30 years.
    Sounds like your job is more fun than mine; from a creative or skilled standpoint, I idle at a higher level than 75% of my co-workers' HIGH GEAR. And while I am proud of my varied skills and intelligence, I am no prodigy. I'm just surrounded by a larger-than-normal collection of dullards. My cure? Absurdity!

Too many people -- not just here at work, but in town as a whole -- seem allergic to generating perspiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast