Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Progressive lenses and cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Progressive lenses and cycling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-11, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
Maybe you didn't notice the part I quoted (e.g. "there is virtually no peripheral vision with progressives"). I don't disagree that cheap progressives distort badly - in fact I said so early in this thread. However, the original claim I was addressing is that progressive lenses restrict your peripheral vision.
I couldn't live with that from a safety perspective. Glad you pointed it out in case i got the urge.

Al
Old 03-17-11, 11:49 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcanoe
Years ago I was told by a Navy guy to use shaving cream, the kind out of a pressurized container to clean glasses. The whole family been doing that for decades now. They come out really clean. I use a very soft all-cotton cloth to wipe dry.

Al
Ok, I'm willing to give it a try. These lens wipe cloths do not do much but spread smudges
Old 03-17-11, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Ok, I'm willing to give it a try. These lens wipe cloths do not do much but spread smudges
Actually, my post was somewhat misleading, so just in case --- I need to add that you wet first with warm water and rinse the s. cream with warm water as well.

Al
Old 03-17-11, 07:03 PM
Rabid Member

Bikes: 2006 Trek 2100, 1973 Crescent Mark XX, 196x Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alcanoe
I couldn't live with that from a safety perspective. Glad you pointed it out in case i got the urge.

Al
Not sure what I pointed out? What I said was that progressive lenses DON'T restrict your peripheral vision, and cheap progressive lenses may distort peripheral vision. If you get the urge, just don't get cheap lenses if you want good vision.
Old 03-17-11, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KillerBeagle
Not sure what I pointed out? What I said was that progressive lenses DON'T restrict your peripheral vision, and cheap progressive lenses may distort peripheral vision. If you get the urge, just don't get cheap lenses if you want good vision.
I had progressive lenses I wore before I had progressives implanted. The external kind worked just fine with no loss of peripheral vision. Of course I purchased the brand and model that had the vision pattern that fitted my needs. Different brands and different models often differ so selection is important. Now that the progressives are implanted I have essentially the same visual field as I was born with.

Oh yes, I do bike and I do a fair number of other vision critical activities.
Old 03-17-11, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By now you probably have them? Anyhow, my 2 cents. I've had progressive trifocals for several years. It took a good couple of weeks to get used to them. Actually, they drove me crazy and made me feel sick for a while, but within a couple of weeks all was good and I love them. It's like your brain reprograms itself, and all of a sudden, one day all the problems vanish. No problems at all on bike. I do have a separate set of sunglasses (I like sunglasses not transitions, especially in the car). My sunglasses are bifocals, mainly because of the price difference (and I have been known to drop sunglasses in the lake). No problems for me switching back and forth.
Old 03-17-11, 09:35 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sesmith
By now you probably have them?
Nope. Still reading along though. I like to have time to consider important decisions.

I don't see the eye doc until Friday the 25th, although on Tuesday the 22nd I have to stop the optician's and put down a deposit on the frames so she can order them from Denmark. Takes a couple of weeks for them to come in.

When I'm there, I'll ask about the issues raised here, particularly the pattern and visual field.
Old 03-18-11, 06:15 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Nope. Still reading along though. I like to have time to consider important decisions.

I don't see the eye doc until Friday the 25th, although on Tuesday the 22nd I have to stop the optician's and put down a deposit on the frames so she can order them from Denmark. Takes a couple of weeks for them to come in.

When I'm there, I'll ask about the issues raised here, particularly the pattern and visual field.

Outside of folks in the optometry profession, this might be the only place I know where a thread on progressive glasses would go over 80 posts!
Old 03-18-11, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Ask the optho.about cutting your rx back a bit so you can still see distance ok and still read ok, I have been doing that for 20 +years, and have been doing without the reading rx hassle...one rx for everything...
Bud
Old 03-19-11, 06:08 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldster
Ask the optho.about cutting your rx back a bit so you can still see distance ok and still read ok, I have been doing that for 20 +years, and have been doing without the reading rx hassle...one rx for everything...
Bud
That is BAD advice. There's lots of information in this thread, some good and some not so good, but don't believe that you can get by without multifocal lenses by reducing the power of your distance Rx. There's no way that you are going to overcome the effects of presbiopia by this method.
Also, oldster is obviously myopic (nearsighted), and if you are hyperopic, (farsighted) then you'll never be able to read anything by cutting back on your Rx.
Get a good quality progressive, Varilux Physio is very good, but there are other good ones. Avoid the bargain price progressives. You might get used to them eventually, but the higher quality ones will give you much more natural vision at all focal points, and also much better peripheral vision, which is extremely important for bicycling.
There's always plenty of free advice on the internet, and most of it is worth what you pay for it. And I'm just another person giving my opinion on a bicycle forum, so you can take my advice or not, but I've been an optician for 37 years, and have lots of experience fitting and wearing progressives. I've had opportunity to try many different brands and styles, and have found the varilux to have the least amount of non-adapts, and I personally have had the best results wearing varilux. I'm currently wearing the varilux physio, but have had good success with varilux comfort and another lens called Definity, which is made by the same parent company as the varilux.
As long as you avoid the el cheapo lenses, and take the advice of your eye care professional and take the time to give your eyes a chance to get used to wearing the progressives, you'll be fine. I've been wearing progressives for 12 years, and I'd never give them up.
Good luck to you.

Last edited by grinningfool; 03-19-11 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-11, 07:51 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Ask the optho.about cutting your rx back a bit so you can still see distance ok and still read ok,
Silly man. If I could see distance okay and read okay I wouldn't need new glasses now, would I?
Old 03-19-11, 08:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Silly man. If I could see distance okay and read okay I wouldn't need new glasses now, would I?

I was just trying to share my situation where I can just wear one pair of single vision glasses for everything,,, no bi/tri or whatever focals, or reading glasses ,by doing a simple adjustment in correction, it makes things much easier.(and still pass drivers license vision test
Sorry if I have insulted anyone,,,
Bud
Old 03-20-11, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I was just trying to share my situation where I can just wear one pair of single vision glasses for everything,,, no bi/tri or whatever focals, or reading glasses
Cool if that works for you. You may have more accommodation capability than typical. Accommodation is the range over which you can adjust focus. For young people with a normal accommodation, a single vision lens works great, because it corrects for the fundamental power error in their eye leaving them able to focus near and far. As we age past 40, the range of accommodation decreases. For people with normal uncorrected vision, this manifests itself as inability to focus on near objects, AKA presbyopia (or their arms are getting to short to read). They need glass only for near objects. I'm nearsighted and when corrected for distance I have the same problem as presbyopic normal vision people. However, because I'm moderately nearsighted, I can still read fine without any glasses. Presbyopic farsighted people are really hosed in that they're doubly compromised for near objects.

I love...no, I adore...I get wood just thinking about... my new Hoya progressive, AR coated, Transitions, riding glasses.
Old 03-20-11, 11:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well not sure about the range, At a full strength rx I need reading help, but if I crank down the myopic correction by 1.25 diopters,it must put me in the middle of that range where I can read Ok and still see well enough at distance.I ran this by my opothomolagist,and he agreed that it was ok to give it a shot,that it may work...It did..Your comments are interesting, thanks,,
Bud
Old 03-23-11, 10:08 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Thanks, everyone for your input on this thread.

I dropped-off the deposit on the frames with my optician yesterday. We discussed the different points you all brought up, along with other reservations I had. She assured me the lenses address all those issues.

This morning she sent me a link to the lenses she's recommending for me. I feel a lot better about the product and the process now.

Friday is the appointment with the eye doc, then I'll drop off the 'scrip, we'll measure everything, I'll put a deposit on the lenses, and we'll be on our way.
Old 03-23-11, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yes, those are OK...but check the following:

https://www.hoyaluxid.com/index.php?S...&page_id=16735
Old 03-23-11, 11:53 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started wearing/needing bifocal lenses, my first pair were progressive, and I adapted to them fine. Then with my second pair I decided to save money and get regular bifocals. I hated them. I couldn't get used to the line distorting my field of vision. I now have a new pair of progressives. It does sound like you have a more severe vision problem than I do. I can frequently get away with driving with just regular sunglasses one. Good luck with the new glasses.