Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a book, and so can you.

Excuse me from lifting this from my blog, but I thought it might be of interest to my fellow 50+ folks...

I've been making books about our trips for a few years now. The first was of "The Gates," Cristo's 2005 art installation in New York. I've also made them for our Oregon Coast ride, our Washington bike tour and now, our 2010 Cycle Montana, Idaho and Oregon summer. Even though I like to think I'm a digital guy, there is just nothing like having a physical book out on the table. And, like I tell my photo students, no one is ever going to go through an attic and discover an interesting shoe box full of pixels. Here's a link to the Montana book. You can even click that little four-headed arrow and get a full screen view.

I've created books using Kodak Gallery, Snapfish, Qoop, MyPublisher and Blurb. Several use a web interface, and some use a downloadable program you run locally. After messing with them all, I like Blurb the best. Mostly because their program does away with a slow web interface, and works pretty well. It's no InDesign, but it's easy to use.

This book covers our Cycle Montana ride with Adventure Cycling (which we loved. I can't say enough good things about them) as well as our stop in Idaho and our Crater Lake ride. It's the largest book I've done at about 11 x 14 inches. I'm happy with the reproduction and so far it looks like we spelled all the words right.

My other Blurb book: One Thousand Miles, and a Little Bit More
    I had so much fun making the Montana book I decided to make another one commemorating the quest for the California Triple Crown jersey undertaken by Lance Oldstrong (from the NorCal forum) and myself in 2010. I used recycled blog posts, screen captures from BikeForums.net NorCal posts, photos and "liberated" ride reports. After all, this may well be my pinnacle of cycling achievement, so a book seemed somewhat reasonable. It will give me something to reminisce over as I sit on the porch with my mint julep.

I made two, and gave one to Lance Oldstrong. My trick totally worked. At first he had no idea it was about him, he thought I'd just found a book about the Triple Crown. It was fun watching it dawn on him that he was in it.

If you ride, make photos, or take vacations, I strongly encourage you to consider making your own book with any of these services. It's just plain ol' cool to have a physical memory, and in making the book you get to relive all the fun you had.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Do you like Blurb best?

I've made a couple with MyPublisher.com, and have been impressed with their quality.

Here's one: Car Bike Trip

HotPrints.com is great for very cheap paperback photo books. Image quality is good, however. They used to be totally free, but now I think you have to pay a few dollars in shipping and handling. The ones I got had two pages of advertising in the middle, but those could be easily and neatly ripped out.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I liked Blurb best. I thoght their software was a bit nicer. I've used MyPublisher, but only for a very small fun paperback. Some reviewers say they have teh best photo quality, but I can't complain about Blurb at all.

I went full tilt and bought hardbound books, so they do cost, but they look like real books!

Car Bike Trip= nice! Looks like a great trip.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! This is the type of thing I'd like to showcase our road trip(s) to Glenwood Springs, CO and other future trips. Thank you for sharing.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontλ country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Montana link doesn't work for me!
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinJ View Post
    Your Montana link doesn't work for me!
    Odd. Try this link. Instead of going directly to the preview it goes to teh info page where you can click to preview.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on HotPrints: The books are free, BUT you have to pay $2.99 for shipping and handling. You can get four books per month at that rate.

The online software for creating the books is pretty cumbersome and slow. It takes a while to get used to it. The books are more like pamphlets, but they are definitely high quality images. When they were totally free, I made a few each month.

I'm too cheap to pay $3 per book, but if you like these things, it could be worth it.

You can see PDF versions here and here.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis, I also couldn't get to the Montana book via either of those links, but I could via your blog: http://ccorlew.blogspot.com/

That is a really, really nice book, I bet it took you a long time to make it. Is there any way to zoom in when viewing it online? Even when viewed full-screen, I can't read the text.

(I did that Blue Lake ride Friday.)
    Last edited by TromboneAl; 03-13-11 at 07:21 PM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curtis,

Thanks. My daughter wants to climb the 46 high peaks of the Adirondacks starting next month. I suspect it will take us 2 to 3 years but this would be a great way to chronicle the adventure as well as a good learning experience for her.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TromboneAl: I have no clue why those links fail, They work on my computer (edit: I think I figured it out and fixed it). So thanks for posting the link to the blog. You're right, there's no zooming. I think it's just a preview thing.

cyclinfoo: That's a great idea! And something you'll treasure forever. Shoot lots, and try to make notes as you go. It's amazing what slips away.
    Last edited by cccorlew; 03-13-11 at 07:21 PM.

Hebden Bridge, W. Yorks, UK (Brontλ country)
    My Bikes
    Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    Odd. Try this link. Instead of going directly to the preview it goes to teh info page where you can click to preview.
    Thanks - both links now work!

I was watching a documentary last night about reintroducing predators to Montana. It looks like a fantastic place.
    Filippo Pozzato's NAKED SIDI bike shoes ad - WTF were they thinking!
    My Mk2 Crud Roadracer fenders review (do you actually LIKE that dirty wet stripe up your back?)

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like we have some similarity of experiences:

SharedExperiences.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    It looks like we have some similarity of experiences:
    Too funny!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks wonderful... just wish I could see it full-size. (Am I missing something???) Maybe it will look bigger at the blogspot. I guess the only downside I can think of is that you've got to take a lot of really good pictures.

My deposit is in for 2011 Cycle Montana and someone else from 50+ (I forget who) is going too.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The book looks better in person at 11 x 14 or so than it does on screen. The preview is just that, a preview. There is a little button that makes it full screen, but you still can't really read it well.
    If it's just the photos you want to see, I have a Flickr set at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccorlew...32207135/show/

You will love Cycle Montana.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    The book looks better in person at 11 x 14 or so than it does on screen. The preview is just that, a preview. There is a little button that makes it full screen, but you still can't really read it well.
    If it's just the photos you want to see, I have a Flickr set at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ccorlew...32207135/show/

You will love Cycle Montana.
    The full screen button was not working for me earlier but now it does and it is a big improvement... still, I wish I could see it better. I am psyched for Montana and have fished in the Bozeman/Ennis area many times so the general turf is familiar. It is surely going to look different from a bicycle though.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a comment: I think the ability to "self publish" is rather cool - however - not everyone should attempt it. A man who is currently with my sister, "published" a book after his pining and lost love for my sister whom he connected with again 30 years later after they broke up (she dump him after meeting the man she would marry). Besides the fact the man is clearly barely literate, it makes him come off a stalker and kindof creepy. I think some stories are better left private.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A book? Not sure if I'm the "writerly" type. I *am* finishing up my first solo CD, though. Of course, CDs -much like the printed word and literacy, itself- are going the way of the dinosaur. Still, very, very cool, Curtis!
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    A book? Not sure if I'm the "writerly" type. I *am* finishing up my first solo CD, though. Of course, CDs -much like the printed word and literacy, itself- are going the way of the dinosaur. Still, very, very cool, Curtis!
    Words? Heck, I've made some that are only photos!

CDs? Love 'em. But Soundcloud and you can share!

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    Just a comment: I think the ability to "self publish" is rather cool - however - not everyone should attempt it. A man who is currently with my sister, "published" a book after his pining and lost love for my sister whom he connected with again 30 years later after they broke up (she dump him after meeting the man she would marry). Besides the fact the man is clearly barely literate, it makes him come off a stalker and kindof creepy. I think some stories are better left private.
    Because he is creepy or because he's "barely literate?" :-)