User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd last bike accessory advice request: adapter bar

We bought two Specialized Low-entry Elite models, and will need adapter bars to fit on the car rack.

The bike shop has Saris models. Any thoughts, pros or cons? I'm inclined to go with what they recommend (carry), since I'm buying the bike and car rack, helmets and probaly the tire pump from them.

I'm geting excited to get going!!

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are your bikes something like this?

What bike rack do you have? If its a Saris Bones are you sure you really need an adapter bar? The bikes don't have to be level when on the bike rack.
    I have a Saris Bones and it works just fine for both of my bikes. If you want the adapter so the bikes are carried "level" then what is the question? Get the adapter.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Saris adapter, along with the Saris Solo rack. I'm using the rack on a 2009 Jetta and the adapter with an Electra Townie. The setup works well. I like the Solo rack because a) I only need to carry one bike at a time; b) it's lightweight and easy to attach; c) it doesn't shift or seem unstable; d) it's easy to put away and store in the trunk. I just wrap the pedal that touches the car in a towel so the car paint doesn't get scratched and I tie the front wheel to the frame so it doesn't shift and hit the car.

As far as the adapter goes, it does the job well.

Pros:
    - The length can be adjusted depending on your bike.
    - One clamp is wider than the other (to accommodate thicker bars)
    - The ends are rubberized so your bike's paint doesn't get damaged.
    - Easy to put on and take off
    - It's heavy and feels very solid. Some say that it seems "weak" but I don't find this to be the case at all.

Cons:
    - This largely depends on the height of your seat and the bike itself, but I find that in order to get the bike level, I have to raise the seat up from the normal position
    - The large clamp doesn't seem like it'd fit on thick bikes like the Nirve beach cruisers. It fits around my Townie with not much room to spare.
    - Clamp size is not adjustable.

5dc3b262b1bb4df6bb4c6231020828f0_7.jpg
    For some reason the rack looks tilted and/or the beam looks like it's bending, but it's just the photo.
    Last edited by Maybeiloveyou; 03-13-11 at 05:27 PM.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colpatrick View Post
    We bought two Specialized Low-entry Elite models, and will need adapter bars to fit on the car rack.

The bike shop has Saris models. Any thoughts, pros or cons? I'm inclined to go with what they recommend (carry), since I'm buying the bike and car rack, helmets and probaly the tire pump from them.

I'm geting excited to get going!!
    I have one of those adapter bars I'd be happy to part with. As I recall, it's a Saris. My rack is, anyway. I no longer have a bike that requires an adapter bar.

You could pick it up from me at the library or I live on University Ave a stone's throw from Towner's Bike Shop. Lemme know if you're interested.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gotta have it...

My Bikes
    Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there really much difference between different brands of these adapters?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.