User Tag List

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another tuition payment

I just made another tuition payment to the bike mechanics department of the school of hard knocks. My son asked me to lace up a lightweight (1300 gram) wheelset for him with bladed spokes. I was surprised at how much the bladed spokes twisted, how much untwisting them affects the wheel trueness, and how easy they are to bugger up while trying to un-twist them. That's a mistake that I won't make again.

I just ordered the proper tool to keep the spokes from twisting. I also reordered a new set of 24 bladed spokes for my son's front wheel. SIGH. On the other hand, life would be pretty uninteresting if we weren't continually learning new things.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That could be an expensive lesson if the spokes are CXrays.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I was surprised at how much the bladed spokes twisted, how much untwisting them affects the wheel trueness, and how easy they are to bugger up while trying to un-twist them. That's a mistake that I won't make again.

I just ordered the proper tool to keep the spokes from twisting.
    You mean you can't just use a mini vise grip to keep the spoke from twisting?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t4mv View Post
    You mean you can't just use a mini vise grip to keep the spoke from twisting?
    That's one of the mistakes that I made. I tried holding them with a pair of pliers that I had cushioned with masking tape but it didn't have enough surface area and slightly deformed the spokes. They'd be OK functionally but I wouldn't be satisfied and I'm the guy who I'm trying to please.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    They're DT Aerolites - still expensive spokes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember taking the same class two years ago. My LBS mechanics had a laugh, supplied me with the right tools, and I graduated with honors.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

Ha. HA! You guys are penny ante. When I read "tuition," I thought "college." I've got one more semester of that left (according to my daughter, who's had "One more semester, Dad" for two years). For what she's cost me just in the last two years (since she would have graduated if she weren't on the six-year plan), I could have bought a semi truck load of spokes and a mechanic to install each one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Ha. HA! You guys are penny ante. When I read "tuition," I thought "college." I've got one more semester of that left (according to my daughter, who's had "One more semester, Dad" for two years). For what she's cost me just in the last two years (since she would have graduated if she weren't on the six-year plan), I could have bought a semi truck load of spokes and a mechanic to install each one.
    I remember when bikes were expensive and college was cheap. (My community college was free and the University of California only charged $274.50/quarter.)

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can relate. Son # 2 will be joining son # 1 at college next year. I'll have 2 years of double tuition before son # 1 graduates and I'll be back to "only" paying tuition for one.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had three tuitions going on at the same time but thank goodness that is behind me now......when that was over I bought myself a new bike for somehow managing to just get from week to week without the creditors barking too loudly! My parents always said they didn't know how they did it but they put 4 of us through school. I'm not sure how we did it either but I only have one more to go!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha. HA! You guys are penny ante. When I read "tuition," I thought "college."
    Well, it's the price of learning that's really the point. When you make a costly mistake you can either curse and wish or pretend that it didn't happen or you can realize that it's a learning opportunity.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I had three tuitions going on at the same time but thank goodness that is behind me now......when that was over I bought myself a new bike for somehow managing to just get from week to week without the creditors barking too loudly! My parents always said they didn't know how they did it but they put 4 of us through school. I'm not sure how we did it either but I only have one more to go!
    Sounds familiar. I've got two right now. The oldest one graduates this year but he's planning on going to law school after a year off so I'll get hit up for at least part of that for another three years but he's on the hook for a good chunk of it since tuition is more that double that of undergrad. It looks like I'll have one year when all three will be in university.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^
    Double undergrad tuition? Gad Zooks! I never thought I'd ask this but do you suppose it's possible that lawyers actually do deserve to make more money than bike mechanics?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Law school tuition has more than doubled in Canada over the last 5 years. For what you are getting, it's still a bargain in the long term.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.

2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHen View Post
    I remember when bikes were expensive and college was cheap. (My community college was free and the University of California only charged $274.50/quarter.)
    I've been b!tch!ng about that since I moved to Nevada. When I came home from Vietnam in 1969 I did four semesters at a community college for I think $64 a semester, transferred ALL my credits to San Jose State and paid less than $300 a semester there. U of Nevada is VERY reluctant to transfer credits even from four-year schools (they have a secret plan for English 101? Their own value for pi, making community college math unacceptable?), and they've raised tuition more than 30 percent in two years.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to college on the super economy plan. In the early 60's I managed one full year - fees, rent, meals and books for under $1,000.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to college on the super economy plan. In the early 60's I managed one full year - fees, rent, meals and books for under $1,000.
    That was a lot of money in those days, especially when you consider what starting salaries were back then.

2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    That was a lot of money in those days, especially when you consider what starting salaries were back then.
    Yeah. Back then I thought that if I could just earn $1,000 a month I'd never have any money concerns.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a while ago. # 1 son's tuition, room and board, after scholarships and grants, is $24K for the year plus the cost of books. Fortunately, # 2 son is getting a bit more in the way of scholarships and we will probably get more grants due to having 2 in at the same time. And my sister is helping us out as well. They both know that they get 4 years each on us, any more is on them.
    Last edited by CACycling; 03-16-11 at 10:27 AM.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Me too. My daughter is on year 3 of a 5 year plan (double degree, music education and psychology) at a fairly pricey private college.