Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Applause and accolades for 70+ Riders

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-11, 12:31 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Our recent "50+ Age Check" poll turned up 15 riders 70+ -

12 who were 70-74

berner
bernmart
cehowardGS
DnvrFox
Faust
kjc9640
lookinUp
Marlin
pokey1
Sailing Jack
Whit51
Whiteknight

and 3 who were 75-79

Ms. Bibendum
Sculptor7
zonatandem

I think it takes something really special to be out there bicycling when one is 70+ and I take my hat off to everyone - (I guess that includes me).

If you didn't take the poll, it is not too late

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1-50-Age-Check

(I know of at least 4 other 70+'rs who did not complete the poll, including one 79 yo.)
Old 03-14-11, 12:55 PM
Banned.

And, I should add another BFN 70-74 member, who posts very rarely

Norafox

(my wife )
Old 03-14-11, 08:55 PM
Banned.

Well, you win some and you lose some!
Old 03-15-11, 03:53 AM
"He must be crazy!"

Bikes: Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep it up, 'senior cyclists'!

I was just looking at at photograph of my late great uncle Hugh standing next to his 'sit-up-and-beg' bicycle. He must have been in his late 70s/early 80s when that photograph was taken. I certainly intend to cycle until I am 80, if possible.

A couple of years ago, I rode a century ride in support of a UK cancer support charity. It took me deep into the Cotswolds, a scenic, hilly part of England. I was doing a rapid descent off Edge Hill (curiously enough, where the Battle of Edge Hill took place!) when I spotted another cyclist ahead of me. The route took a sharp right off the descent on the way down and I could tell by his line that he was going to miss the turn so I accelerated up behind him and shouted "Right turn here!".

He overshot the turn, but stopped further down the hill and started climbing back up so I waited for him. He thanked me for stopping him going all the way to the bottom of the hill and we decided to ride along together. I'd shown him the GPS unit on my bike and he was very interested in how it worked and wanted to find out more.

I thought he looked about 65 so I was surprised when he told me he had just celebrated his 70th birthday. He had a group of mates the same age as him with whom he did regular club rides. Now get this - one of the club riders was 85 years old! Apparently, every Wednesday the old guys got together and rode 25 miles out to a cyclists' cafe for coffee and cake. They'd stop an hour or so, having a chat about old times, then they'd ride home again. The 85 year old never missed that ride - it was the highlight of his week. If I can still be doing that when I'm 85, I'll be a happy man!

Here's a poignant, but inspiring story ...

I read about an old cyclist being found seriously injured in the road near Bolton Abbey in Wharefdale, a very scenic area about 25 miles from here. He had been taken to hospital where he died shortly afterwards. Police were appealing for witnesses. Original BBC report.

The local cycling community were up in arms about it. How could anybody knock an old guy off his bike and just leave him to die in the road?

I suggested that if that was what had happened, then yes, the driver should be spend years in prison for doing that, but hang on, the police didn't know what had happened. Perhaps we should reserve judgement until the facts emerged?

I wanted to know what had happened so I monitored the local media. A month or so later, I found the result of the inquest on a local newspaper's website:

A man who mixed with the stars and ran nightclubs for decades died of a massive stroke as he cycled in the Dales.

Leeds hairdresser Howard Silverman, a close friend for more than half-a-century, said:

“I have been a friend of his for 50 years and I don’t know of any relatives.”

Mr Peace, who lived in Bramhope, was 78 when he fell from his bike as he cycled on the B6160 Bolton Abbey to Burnsall road two weeks ago. He died in the Leeds General Infirmary the following day.

Mr Silverman said: “We thought at first he had had an accident, but by talking to the coroner we found out he was cycling and had had a massive stroke. That’s what killed him.”

He said his friend was a very fit man, and a lifelong cyclist, who used to joke when his time was up he wanted to simply fall off his bike in the Dales.

“It is incredible he got what he wanted,” he said.

“It’s very strange but only recently we were up on the same road where it happened and he said if he had to die he could not think of a better place.”
I'd prefer to get home from a ride and die peacefully in my bed aged 85, but dying at 78 doing something you love isn't the worst way to go.
Old 03-15-11, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid bombing around on my Schwinn Spitfire with my buddies, there was an "old man" who rode a Green English Racer around town, to and from work, wore a coat and tie, dress shoes. As kids we all thought he was weird. Now turning 60, I think what a great guy that "old man" was, what stories he could have told. We'd watch him always keeping our distance, he's stop and talk to his friends, old retired guys sitting on park benches. Here was a guy who was still active, riding his bike, working and interested in life.

Here's to all the 70+ folks riding their bikes. I bet if you asked them they wouldn't feel like they were 70. Hey I'll be there myself in a few short years.
Old 03-15-11, 10:35 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IMO, the real props go to the 75-79... They are smokin---
Old 03-15-11, 10:38 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And, I should add another BFN 70-74 member, who posts very rarely

Norafox

(my wife )

Bless her!!

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
who posts very rarely

You take up her posting slack, very nicely...
Old 03-15-11, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dnvrfox - I remember reading these forums when you were a young man of 65!