My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cape Town

http://www.southafrica.info/about/sport/cycletour.htm

I arrived in Cape Town one day too late for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour. It will go on my bucket list.

My wife loves Cape Town; so, maybe we can return, and I can participate in the Cape Argus Cycle Tour.

As I was checking into my hotel, a gent was checking out. He won in the tandem class. He rode a Trek tandem. It took him about 2.5 hr for the 110 km route.

The Chapman's Peak looks fairly difficult. I drove it in the car yesterday. The scenery is awesome.

My Bikes
    Raleigh RC4500 Tiagra 9Spd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I'm sorry to hear that you've missed the Argus Cycle Cycle Tour in Capetown- i assume that you've entered, but arrived too late. This race is so popular that they reach the full quota of entrants very soon after opening of registration. I live in Capetown and hope to do my first one next year as i'm currently looking for a bike. The whole City is gearing up for this annual event as all relevant roads are closed for the duration of the event. Hope you'll come next year, and in time. Welcome to Capetown. Hope you enjoy your stay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AlroyD,
    Thanks for the welcome!

I claim ignorance and knew nothing about the race prior to arriving in JoBurg Sunday night. I arrived in Cape Town Monday morning. I became intrigued when I heard about the ride. I drove around the peninsula and found the scenery to be fantastic. We will leave for Victoria Falls tomorrow and will greatly miss Cape Town. It is a fabulous city.

I want to participate next year. When does registration open for next year? I need to work on logistics. I don't know if I should try to ship my bicycle to Cape Town or to try and rent a bicycle in Cape Town.

I live in Houston, and I don't have much opportunity to ride hills. Chapman's Peak will be my biggest obstacle in completing the race. I am not concerned about the distance.

The crowd will also cause a challenge. I read a 91 yr old crashed and caused a chain reaction crash. I think I read he had completed 6 previous races.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Some info on the race. I dont know exactly the date for 2012 but it should be more or less the same as this year. http:// www.cycletour.co.za

I cut & paste the following from the website

Entries for the 2012 Cape Argus Pick n Pay Cycle Tour will open on 1 September 2011.
    RACE OFFICE (RACE QUERIES)
    Tel: +27 21 681 4333
    Fax: +27 21 685 6648
    info@cycletour.co.za

How do I enter?Online entries open 1 September every year, and will be on a first come, first served basis. To enter online, you will need a valid credit card. South African entrants can also submit a postal entry and pay by cheque or postal order. Please contact us on +27 21 681 4333 or info@cycletour.co.za to request an entry form. Please note that we do not accept EFT payments or direct deposits.

International entrants can enter online from 1 September every year. Alternatively, you can download the appropriate entry form and email or fax it to us. The entry forms will be available once entries have opened.
    How can I be seeded if I am from overseas?
    Please forward details of recent cycling achievements to seeding@cycletour.co.za – we need information on events you have participated in; distance and degree of difficulty of the course; winner’s time; your time; average speed; number of participants, your position – as much information as possible. If this is not provided, you will be placed in one of the international groups leaving approximately 3/4 way down the field. You may choose to ride with slower riders in later groups without being reseeded. Your start time will be picked up from the start mats and your time will be adjusted automatically. You may not move to an earlier start group, however."

Minimum age: You must turn 12 during the year of the event (or 10 years when riding on a tandem with an adult). Anybody who can ride a bicycle and is moderately fit can participate. If you are unsure of your fitness levels or medical status, please visit your doctor first. Remember: PPA members receive a discounted entry fee and reserved starting positions, so why not join them if you are not already a member? You can join or renew your PPA membership when entering the Cycle Tour. Mail info@pedalpower.org.za for more info.
    I am resident outside of South Africa. How do I enter?
    International entrants can enter online from 1 September every year. Alternatively, you can download the appropriate entry form and email or fax it to us. The entry forms will be available once entries have opened.

Hope this helps

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional information. It was quite helpful. I guess I need to do a few timed events before September.

A couple of my colleagues from work are seriously considering this.

I figure some of the 50+ racers would find this to be a fun and challenging event.

Live fast, take chances! iRide Africa's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Marin Attack Trail 140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi gtragitt,

If you don't want to fly your own bike over, we have a good stock of bikes for rental for the Argus - but you need to book early! Have a look at http://irideafrica.com/bike-hire/ for details.

Cheers!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the 2010 Giant TCR Advanced 3 - R350/day, but 54cm is too small. I ride a 58cm with similar geometry and a 56cm would work.

Thanks for the information!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Please note that entries for the Argus Cycle Tour in Capetown, South Africa will open at 13h00 on 1 September 2011 (local time). I just bought myself a roadbike and plan to do the race for the 1st time next year. I don't have a seeding and will thus start at the back- not aproblem for me as I have never done any races and will just try and finish the 110 km in 05h30
    Alroy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AlroyD,
    I will be in the back with you if I can work out the logistics and be in shape. Thanks for posting the information regarding the registration.

iRide Africa,
    I checked on a rental. They say they can sort out a rental for me, but they have a 7 day minimum rental for the Argus.
    Greg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I booked a hotel at the Bantry Bay Luxury Suites. I stayed there last year. I better reserve a rental car also.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have many friends who've done the Argus, and would like to do it myself if I'm ever in the country at the right time. (I used to live in the Joburg area, been in the USA since 1994).

I have a certain "history" with Chapman's Peak Drive - it was built by my great grandfather
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    I have many friends who've done the Argus, and would like to do it myself if I'm ever in the country at the right time. (I used to live in the Joburg area, been in the USA since 1994).

I have a certain "history" with Chapman's Peak Drive - it was built by my great grandfather
    Come with me. Another guy from my office is going. In November Continental is flying direct from Houston to Lagos, which should make the trip cheaper for me.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    Come with me. Another guy from my office is going. In November Continental is flying direct from Houston to Lagos, which should make the trip cheaper for me.
    I'd really like to - but can't:

In 10 days time I fly to Tanzania, where I'll be climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. And after that, and because of of a week riding RAGBRAI last July, my annual leave (and my budget) will be down to zero
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now registered!

I checked on renting a case and shipping my bicycle vs renting. I think I will rent a bicycle.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iRide Africa has a 58 cm Giant TCR Advance 3 that I will rent. I test rode one before I bought my Roubaix Expert. The geometry was comparable and I felt good riding it. It is a little pricey at $350 (7 day minimum rental). I thought about buying a Trico Iron Case for $340, but I still have to get it to Cape Town and back with my bicycle inside. I opted for convenience.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I am now registered!

I checked on renting a case and shipping my bicycle vs renting. I think I will rent a bicycle.
    Cool - I'm as jealous as hell!

Maybe next year.

Full report-back expected!
    Regards,
    Duncan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid a 50% deposit for a 58cm Giant TCR Advanced. I am certain that I will take my own saddle to Cape town. I am thinking hard about taking my Roval wheels also.

I ride flat terrain in Houston. The route is hilly; so ,I may need the advantage of my lighter wheels and my 11-28 cassette since the Giant will have a compact crankset.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I managed to finish my first 110km Pick & Pay Argus Cycle Tour in Capetown yesterday in a time of 04:08:13
    in very nice weather, in fact it was very hot. In an earllier post I mentioned my target as being 05h30, but then was when I was just starting out.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left S.A. on March 11th (last Sunday) - the day of the Argus .

I was there for a family emergency, though, and could not ride - even though I had entered and had arranged for a rental bike (a Giant with 105 groupset).

I plan to be there next year, though...
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info - thanks guys!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlroyD View Post
    Hi
    I managed to finish my first 110km Pick & Pay Argus Cycle Tour in Capetown yesterday in a time of 04:08:13
    in very nice weather, in fact it was very hot. In an earllier post I mentioned my target as being 05h30, but then was when I was just starting out.
    Congratulations on a very good time.