Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spring Preview Ride

Taking advantage of being South and in very mild weather I'm getting a preview of where I am in my rehab and readiness for this summer's cycling. First ride 22 miles in the hills south of Denver, Co. Typically windy, a couple times enough to blow me sideways, but very mild. Went very well.

Yesterday's ride was The Evaluation. Down a steepish slope 4 miles and then hitting it as hard as I comfortably could back up to the start. My bike has a top gearing of 53-11 so I flew down the hill. Coming back not so fast . Didn't get even close to my maximum heart rate before the legs reached their maximum. Recovery was pretty quick.

Thanks to the Preview I know I've done OK in keeping my cardiovascular fitness over the winter. The knee rehab has worked. But, I have a lot of work to do on the legs. Now to find the discipline to not push it too hard....

Oh yes, I envy you folks who don't have a winter layoff to recover from.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    Oh yes, I envy you folks who don't have a winter layoff to recover from.
    That's the whole reason I changed job locations to a library further away. My winter commute is long enough now to maintain a base level of fitness, without any other riding.

This was borne out at the club's first ride of the season this past Saturday. The traditional first ride route is only 14 miles, but it's hilly. It's supposed to shake the cobwebs loose. Due to the climbing, mountain bikes, triples and compacts were the chosen rides of the day. On the last hill (6% for a half-mile) one of the racers (a thirty-something) blew up and puked.

Meanwhile the old guy on a standard double felt refreshed at the top.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very happy to be living in the southwest desert and can ride all year long. The summers mean I must leave early enough to get back before it gets to hot. I like to be back by the time it reaches 108 or so. For most of the year weather is not a factor in ridding. The down side for me now is the pollen. It seems there is always something blooming here except for about two months. Right now the citrus are coming into bloom and I must wear a mask to ride even with the medications. Still and all I like it here.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tsh

I think if I lived in your area I might give winter biking a shot. But, on minimally plowed streets at temperatures well into the minus numbers it just isn't practical. Oh, we have a few hardy souls who ride, actually carry for the most part, their bikes most of the winter. A few even do 150 mile treks in an annual competition. But, those are it.

I am a newbie at using a bike for more than a toy. But, I understand it has some significant limitations as transportation in inclement weather.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.