Thread: Arthritic thumb

My Bikes
    Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arthritic thumb

Others have complained about pain in the knees and ankles, but how about your thumbs?

I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my ankle. It made me stop and think about other aches and pains I've been having. By far the most painful is my thumbs. I've been having pain shifting gears and using my quick releases on bad arthritic days.

Anyone out there have some ideas on how to deal with this? I'm already doing glocosamine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have that slight problem in my left thumb only. Nothing too painful I admit but I find rotating the thumb around in big circles gives me some feedback about the discomfort. It seems to be easing off so maybe it's bruised but I don't recall smacking it. I don't as yet take any meds.
    If your bollocks ain't sore, yer ain't on yer boike!

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my right thumb is slightly arthritic. A couple of months ago, it hurt so much to shift my bike, that I though I would have to stop riding, or go fixed gear. I took the bike in for a check-up and the shop owner completely cleaned and re worked the right hand shifter--no more pain.

Make sure the shifters on your bike are in excellent working condition--it sure cuts down on the stress on the thumbs.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

Slow Moving Vehicle Jean Beetham Smith's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had dramatic results once using capsacin ointment on a stiff thumb. It had been bothering for days. I put on the ointment ONCE and 15 minutes later my thumb was fine, and stayed fine for 2 or 3 months. Repeat episodes have not been as dramatic. Also, you have to be extremely careful to keep it away from your face & eyes!! It at least keeps the NSAID consumption down.
    Help grow the future of cycling in the world. Volunteer at your local "earn-a-bike" program. In the Boston area http://www.bikesnotbombs.org/about

My Bikes
    Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jean,
    That name capsacin rang a bell with me. I'd seen or heard it some where before. I was talking to my partner about this and she said that she thought is was sourced from peppers.

Light bulb above my head!

I went down into the basement to check out my bear repellent. Active ingredient: 5% Oleoresin Capsium (.35 capsaicin).

Should I be spraying this on my thumb instead of a bruin?

My Bikes
    walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have nintendo thumb (yes, that is how I got it...) in both hands, so I ride with my fists closed, leaning the knuckles on the grips part of the time, and with my thumbs pointing the same way as my fingers most of the time. You have to learn to be quick to change to something more secure for braking, shifting and emergencies, but it works for me.
    And I am sure there are other choices I haven't thought of, yet...