Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-17-11, 04:52 PM   #1
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
How fast can you ride, and how slow?

On a more humorous note, how slow can you cycle? (I might hold the record ;-P)

Also how fast have you ridden a bike, gravity assist is OK!
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:10 PM   #2
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For slow, I guess the accurate answer would be "the limit approaching zero", but only for a duration also approaching zero, as I stop. :-)

But seriously, I took a bike handling skills clinic that focused a lot on slow riding. Slow and no-hands being the tough combo. Not sure how slow I was going in and out of the cones they set up.

I've only been up to 40ish, but am looking forward to some faster downhills later this year.
Old 03-17-11, 05:34 PM   #3
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fast: 36 downhill. Slow: 2 mph on level ground. (Just tested it today to convince myself that slowing down in my new clipless pedals was not lethal).
Sculptor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:35 PM   #4
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fastest - 56 mph (road bike) going down a steep grade in Mammoth... I probably would have gotten close to 60 but I got scared and started braking.

I know for absolute certainty I can climb that same steep hill going 2.3 mph for 6 miles. It was painfuly slow and I was amazed the bike stayed upright. I did get to see alot of scenary - it interesting what you see when you ride at the speed of a walk! I have probably gone even slower on my mountain bike but I don't have an speedometer on that bike.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:49 PM   #5
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Fastest about 45 MPH on a long steep downhill.

Slowest sustained about 0.50 MPH or so with the lower limit being patience. On a trike. On two wheels I can handle slow walking speeds just so you don't also expect gum chewing.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 05:50 PM   #6
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Damn, U all R good...
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:34 PM   #7
ciocc_cat
"Chooch"

Bikes: 1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
Fastest (recently): 28.6 mph on flat ground. Slowest - I've a two second "track stand" on a road bike (handy trick at stop signs).
ciocc_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:36 PM   #8
DX-MAN
Banned

Bikes:
My 8-y-o nephew comfortably walks at about 1.5mph; I can roll next to him.

When I was 15, on a 10-speed Schwinn, I hit 56mph leaving Brown County State Park.
DX-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 06:39 PM   #9
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
Fast enough to hurt myself, slow enough to remain upright.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:13 PM   #10
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I've had several of my bikes up over 53 mph. If I'm planning on doing a hilly tour, I've been known to put my 30/44/58 crankset on, so I can pedal to 50. Slow? I think I can stay balanced down to about 2.4 or 2.5 mph. Probably even slower on my upright, but then I hardly ever ride it.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:19 PM   #11
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have gone a little over 50 mph coming down a straight section of a mountain descent. I can move at a dead crawl of about 2mph on my MTB and have held a track stand for several seconds waiting for a light to change.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 07:26 PM   #12
Kurt Erlenbach

Bikes:
I have two goals in life. One is to get a speeding ticket on my bike. The other is to be able to do a trackstand clipped in without embarrassing myself.
Kurt Erlenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 12:09 AM   #13
LAriverRat

Bikes:
I did get a speeding ticket, 35mph paced by the cop, on a ten speed when i was 17. This was on a flat street. 45 or so coming down in the hills. Slowest, 4/5 mph going up in the mountains.
LAriverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 01:12 AM   #14
TheHen

Bikes:
Well, the fastest I ever went was 66 mph in somewhere between Banff and Jasper. But it was only 33 mph per person since it was on a loaded touring tandem. That old Phil Wood disk brake was never the same after that trip. I guess the slowest is either 0 (track stand) or slightly negative (bike polo on a fixed gear). Sadly, these days I spend much more time closer to my lowest speed than my fastest speed. Lots closer.
TheHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:11 AM   #15
NOS88

Bikes:
On a flat run with no head wind I can hold about 28 - 29 mph for about 1.25 miles. My average speed for a year's worth of cycling works out to just a bit over 16.5 mph. Downhill, I've routinely hit the 60 mph mark. In terms of how slow, I have a 17%+ grade I must go up before entering my neighborhood. On days when I'm toast, I've crawled up that hill at 2 mph. I can also hold a track stand long enough for a traffic light to change.
Old 03-18-11, 07:13 AM   #16
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
My fastest down hill, set 2 yrs ago, is just over 53 mph. It's not likely that I'll be able to cross off "matching my age" on my bucket list as every year it gets higher and we don't have those kind of hills in Ohio. So what is the gold standard for speed/age? 100, 110, 120?, My PR is 109 = 56 yrs/53mph

Last summer I did do a set of 6 x 1 mile intervals on a flat road, with no wind, a rolling start and averaged between 2:06 and 2:11 per mile or just over 28 mph. One of this years' training goals is to be under 2' on the reps. That will hurt.

Kicking over the computer sensor as you clip in, just as the fast group ride begins, helps in riding for a long while @ 0 mph.
Old 03-18-11, 07:16 AM   #17
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
50+ mph, down hill, draftng a Porsche 911. When my friend caught up, he looked at me and said "Your f***ing nuts' and kept going. Slow enough so the computer doesn't register a speed.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 09:11 AM   #18
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
My fastest down hill, set 2 yrs ago, is just over 53 mph. It's not likely that I'll be able to cross off "matching my age" on my bucket list as every year it gets higher and we don't have those kind of hills in Ohio. So what is the gold standard for speed/age? 100, 110, 120?, My PR is 109 = 56 yrs/53mph

Last summer I did do a set of 6 x 1 mile intervals on a flat road, with no wind, a rolling start and averaged between 2:06 and 2:11 per mile or just over 28 mph. One of this years' training goals is to be under 2' on the reps. That will hurt.

Kicking over the computer sensor as you clip in, just as the fast group ride begins, helps in riding for a long while @ 0 mph.
AJ: Is your time based on a standing start? The times I quoted are based on getting up to speed and then measuring the distance/speed. (It's a whole lot easier to get good looking times doing it this way!)
Old 03-18-11, 09:12 AM   #19
Hermes 
Elite Rider

Bikes: Too Many
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Since there is no age limit (62) or racers should not post...

Starting gate at 2010 Masters Track Worlds Anadia, Portugal = zero

Motor Pacing Pre-Worlds = 36 mph, 90 gear inches

Cat: Killer
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 09:27 AM   #20
bobbycorno

Bikes:
Well, if trackstands count, my min speed = 0, max = 52 (but not on the same bike). For top speed, it helps to live on the east slope of the Cascades, with passes as high as 6400' in pedaling distance. Oh, and riding a semi-lowracer recumbent helps too. ;-)

SP
Bend, OR
bobbycorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 09:58 AM   #21
Allegheny Jet 

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
AJ: Is your time based on a standing start? The times I quoted are based on getting up to speed and then measuring the distance/speed. (It's a whole lot easier to get good looking times doing it this way!)
It is with a rolling start which helps with the overall time. I'm doing repeat intervals and not nailing it at 100% because in 6 minutes I'll be doing the next one, then next one...
Old 03-18-11, 10:00 AM   #22
tony2v

Bikes:
Slowest - 0mph...track stand on the velodrome and waiting for traffic light to change. Fastest - (road) 53mph...downhill straightaway towards Scissors Crossing........(track) 38mph motorpacing...51x15
tony2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 11:49 AM   #23
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
Slowest - 0mph...track stand on the velodrome and waiting for traffic light to change. Fastest - (road) 53mph...downhill straightaway towards Scissors Crossing........(track) 38mph motorpacing...51x15
Roughly 145 rpm. Not bad! I've been laser-timed at 39 mph through a 200-foot timing trap, rolling start with a half mile run-up. Highest instantaneous speed during the run was a hair over 40 mph, as I was exiting the trap.
BlazingPedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:35 PM   #24
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
38 mph, with gravity. 4mph on the slow end.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-11, 06:38 PM   #25
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Downhill doesn't count for top speed in my book. On the flats, I've hit about 32mph in a group ride.

Slowest - do track stands count?
tinrobot is offline   Reply With Quote