Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How fast can you ride, and how slow?

On a more humorous note, how slow can you cycle? (I might hold the record ;-P)

Also how fast have you ridden a bike, gravity assist is OK!

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For slow, I guess the accurate answer would be "the limit approaching zero", but only for a duration also approaching zero, as I stop. :-)

But seriously, I took a bike handling skills clinic that focused a lot on slow riding. Slow and no-hands being the tough combo. Not sure how slow I was going in and out of the cones they set up.

I've only been up to 40ish, but am looking forward to some faster downhills later this year.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast: 36 downhill. Slow: 2 mph on level ground. (Just tested it today to convince myself that slowing down in my new clipless pedals was not lethal).
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fastest - 56 mph (road bike) going down a steep grade in Mammoth... I probably would have gotten close to 60 but I got scared and started braking.

I know for absolute certainty I can climb that same steep hill going 2.3 mph for 6 miles. It was painfuly slow and I was amazed the bike stayed upright. I did get to see alot of scenary - it interesting what you see when you ride at the speed of a walk! I have probably gone even slower on my mountain bike but I don't have an speedometer on that bike.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fastest about 45 MPH on a long steep downhill.

Slowest sustained about 0.50 MPH or so with the lower limit being patience. On a trike. On two wheels I can handle slow walking speeds just so you don't also expect gum chewing.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, U all R good...

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fastest (recently): 28.6 mph on flat ground. Slowest - I've a two second "track stand" on a road bike (handy trick at stop signs).
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 8-y-o nephew comfortably walks at about 1.5mph; I can roll next to him.

When I was 15, on a 10-speed Schwinn, I hit 56mph leaving Brown County State Park.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast enough to hurt myself, slow enough to remain upright.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had several of my bikes up over 53 mph. If I'm planning on doing a hilly tour, I've been known to put my 30/44/58 crankset on, so I can pedal to 50. Slow? I think I can stay balanced down to about 2.4 or 2.5 mph. Probably even slower on my upright, but then I hardly ever ride it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gone a little over 50 mph coming down a straight section of a mountain descent. I can move at a dead crawl of about 2mph on my MTB and have held a track stand for several seconds waiting for a light to change.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two goals in life. One is to get a speeding ticket on my bike. The other is to be able to do a trackstand clipped in without embarrassing myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get a speeding ticket, 35mph paced by the cop, on a ten speed when i was 17. This was on a flat street. 45 or so coming down in the hills. Slowest, 4/5 mph going up in the mountains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the fastest I ever went was 66 mph in somewhere between Banff and Jasper. But it was only 33 mph per person since it was on a loaded touring tandem. That old Phil Wood disk brake was never the same after that trip. I guess the slowest is either 0 (track stand) or slightly negative (bike polo on a fixed gear). Sadly, these days I spend much more time closer to my lowest speed than my fastest speed. Lots closer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a flat run with no head wind I can hold about 28 - 29 mph for about 1.25 miles. My average speed for a year's worth of cycling works out to just a bit over 16.5 mph. Downhill, I've routinely hit the 60 mph mark. In terms of how slow, I have a 17%+ grade I must go up before entering my neighborhood. On days when I'm toast, I've crawled up that hill at 2 mph. I can also hold a track stand long enough for a traffic light to change.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fastest down hill, set 2 yrs ago, is just over 53 mph. It's not likely that I'll be able to cross off "matching my age" on my bucket list as every year it gets higher and we don't have those kind of hills in Ohio. So what is the gold standard for speed/age? 100, 110, 120?, My PR is 109 = 56 yrs/53mph

Last summer I did do a set of 6 x 1 mile intervals on a flat road, with no wind, a rolling start and averaged between 2:06 and 2:11 per mile or just over 28 mph. One of this years' training goals is to be under 2' on the reps. That will hurt.

Kicking over the computer sensor as you clip in, just as the fast group ride begins, helps in riding for a long while @ 0 mph.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50+ mph, down hill, draftng a Porsche 911. When my friend caught up, he looked at me and said "Your f***ing nuts' and kept going. Slow enough so the computer doesn't register a speed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    My fastest down hill, set 2 yrs ago, is just over 53 mph. It's not likely that I'll be able to cross off "matching my age" on my bucket list as every year it gets higher and we don't have those kind of hills in Ohio. So what is the gold standard for speed/age? 100, 110, 120?, My PR is 109 = 56 yrs/53mph

Last summer I did do a set of 6 x 1 mile intervals on a flat road, with no wind, a rolling start and averaged between 2:06 and 2:11 per mile or just over 28 mph. One of this years' training goals is to be under 2' on the reps. That will hurt.

Kicking over the computer sensor as you clip in, just as the fast group ride begins, helps in riding for a long while @ 0 mph.
    AJ: Is your time based on a standing start? The times I quoted are based on getting up to speed and then measuring the distance/speed. (It's a whole lot easier to get good looking times doing it this way!)
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there is no age limit (62) or racers should not post...

Starting gate at 2010 Masters Track Worlds Anadia, Portugal = zero

Motor Pacing Pre-Worlds = 36 mph, 90 gear inches

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if trackstands count, my min speed = 0, max = 52 (but not on the same bike). For top speed, it helps to live on the east slope of the Cascades, with passes as high as 6400' in pedaling distance. Oh, and riding a semi-lowracer recumbent helps too. ;-)

SP
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    AJ: Is your time based on a standing start? The times I quoted are based on getting up to speed and then measuring the distance/speed. (It's a whole lot easier to get good looking times doing it this way!)
    It is with a rolling start which helps with the overall time. I'm doing repeat intervals and not nailing it at 100% because in 6 minutes I'll be doing the next one, then next one...
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slowest - 0mph...track stand on the velodrome and waiting for traffic light to change. Fastest - (road) 53mph...downhill straightaway towards Scissors Crossing........(track) 38mph motorpacing...51x15

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony2v View Post
    Slowest - 0mph...track stand on the velodrome and waiting for traffic light to change. Fastest - (road) 53mph...downhill straightaway towards Scissors Crossing........(track) 38mph motorpacing...51x15
    Roughly 145 rpm. Not bad! I've been laser-timed at 39 mph through a 200-foot timing trap, rolling start with a half mile run-up. Highest instantaneous speed during the run was a hair over 40 mph, as I was exiting the trap.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    38 mph, with gravity. 4mph on the slow end.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downhill doesn't count for top speed in my book. On the flats, I've hit about 32mph in a group ride.

Slowest - do track stands count?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast