Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-26-14, 10:10 AM   #26
blacknbluebikes

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Levothyroxin. Early a.m., well before food, take with a big drink of water. Miss it one day, no crisis, but then I notice the memory issues... "what is that guy's name, dammit?..." One of the ten most prescribed drugs in the U.S. And staying on track with proper dosage and annual tests definitely improves the physio-factors for biking.
blacknbluebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 11:20 AM   #27
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks guys!
I have been lax about taking it every day...
Will not from now on!
Null66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 04:08 PM   #28
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbert View Post
In addition to synthroid (which I take in the morning), I also take simvastatin before going to bed. I was unaware of any link between the two. Could you provide a link (no pun intended) of where you read this information?

Thanks!
If you google 'thyroid and simvastatin' you can get several articles on the subject of that linkage.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-14, 08:35 PM   #29
Preco

Bikes: Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse
Newbert
The amour thyroid has also helped me with anxiety at least I feel it does. I still stress and instead of lasting for days I can control it on my own.I do find that exercising really helps with the stress and staying away form Coffee,sugar and soy also over the last few years I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. Pizza and burgers are hard to stay away from.I also try to find time too just relax I like to read Sifi Fantasy books it helps get my mind off things.

And yes in my case it has lowered the amount of snythroid from 150mcg to 50mcg of synthroid and 90mg of Armour thyroid. The amour thyroid contains T3 and T4 and is a natural thyroid. I will never completely get off synthroid because of the amount total I need to take.I do know some people that only have Armour thyroid by its self.

Yes if I were you I would talk to your Doc about it. It cant hurt to talk about it that's how I got my Doc to add the amour-thyroid.
Preco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 02:43 AM   #30
EmbassyJarhead

Bikes: Peugeot Ventoux
I had Hashimoto hypothyroid for about 7 year. It was hell! I had mood swings, gained a bunch of weight and the worst...winter and cold weather. I had my neck fused in June of last year, they went in from the front, I think they pissed my thyroid off because it really started acting up after. It felt as if I had a jell cap stuck in my throat and someone pressing their thumb there as well.

They removed my thyroid in November and things have gotten better. Still battling the correct level for my synthroid, but that will happen soon.

Keep working with your doctor, hope all comes out well
EmbassyJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 06:10 AM   #31
qcpmsame 
USMC, 1975-1977

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Semper Fi, Marine, welcome to BF, and the 50+ gang. I have to take it you are/were on embassy/legation duty, an interesting duty I imagine. Back to our regular scheduled discussion.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 NIV
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 08:36 AM   #32
newbert

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preco View Post
Newbert
The amour thyroid has also helped me with anxiety at least I feel it does. I still stress and instead of lasting for days I can control it on my own.I do find that exercising really helps with the stress and staying away form Coffee,sugar and soy also over the last few years I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. Pizza and burgers are hard to stay away from.I also try to find time too just relax I like to read Sifi Fantasy books it helps get my mind off things.

And yes in my case it has lowered the amount of snythroid from 150mcg to 50mcg of synthroid and 90mg of Armour thyroid. The amour thyroid contains T3 and T4 and is a natural thyroid. I will never completely get off synthroid because of the amount total I need to take.I do know some people that only have Armour thyroid by its self.

Yes if I were you I would talk to your Doc about it. It cant hurt to talk about it that's how I got my Doc to add the amour-thyroid.
Thanks so much for sharing this info! I have a follow-up appointment with my Doctor on Monday and will definitely discuss options like Armour Thyroid. (Until now, I wasn't even aware that any options, in terms of treatment for hypothyroid exist...)

Thanks again.
newbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 03:52 PM   #33
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
So, in talking with my doctor (who rides a little) told me my levels came in at 54. He told me that anything over a 6 gets his attention and 54 though not off the charts was pretty high. I told him my general feeling of "ugh" has been with me since sometime last summer and maybe with the approaching ride season I could turn in some good times on Strava. He was chuckling a little over that and was telling me that thyroid meds are used in horse racing for an edge. Time will tell but I do look forward to starting meds in the morning.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-14, 04:15 PM   #34
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
Cant really respond to the original question as my thryroid was removed in Dec 2005. I take synthroid daily, and am able to keep riding.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-14, 07:30 AM   #35
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
The doc put me on .05mg Synthroid. My body is very sensitive to medications at the start. My noticeable hypo symptoms have been a lowered motivation/sense of well-being and that cursed brain fo.....
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote