Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thyroid Issues

My Bikes
    black one goes far, blue one goes fast, white one goes anywhere
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Levothyroxin. Early a.m., well before food, take with a big drink of water. Miss it one day, no crisis, but then I notice the memory issues... "what is that guy's name, dammit?..." One of the ten most prescribed drugs in the U.S. And staying on track with proper dosage and annual tests definitely improves the physio-factors for biking.

My Bikes
    Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys!
    I have been lax about taking it every day...
    Will not from now on!

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    In addition to synthroid (which I take in the morning), I also take simvastatin before going to bed. I was unaware of any link between the two. Could you provide a link (no pun intended) of where you read this information?

Thanks!
    If you google 'thyroid and simvastatin' you can get several articles on the subject of that linkage.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Specilized Crosstrail Comp, Canondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newbert
    The amour thyroid has also helped me with anxiety at least I feel it does. I still stress and instead of lasting for days I can control it on my own.I do find that exercising really helps with the stress and staying away form Coffee,sugar and soy also over the last few years I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. Pizza and burgers are hard to stay away from.I also try to find time too just relax I like to read Sifi Fantasy books it helps get my mind off things.

And yes in my case it has lowered the amount of snythroid from 150mcg to 50mcg of synthroid and 90mg of Armour thyroid. The amour thyroid contains T3 and T4 and is a natural thyroid. I will never completely get off synthroid because of the amount total I need to take.I do know some people that only have Armour thyroid by its self.

Yes if I were you I would talk to your Doc about it. It cant hurt to talk about it that's how I got my Doc to add the amour-thyroid.

My Bikes
    Peugeot Ventoux
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Hashimoto hypothyroid for about 7 year. It was hell! I had mood swings, gained a bunch of weight and the worst...winter and cold weather. I had my neck fused in June of last year, they went in from the front, I think they pissed my thyroid off because it really started acting up after. It felt as if I had a jell cap stuck in my throat and someone pressing their thumb there as well.

They removed my thyroid in November and things have gotten better. Still battling the correct level for my synthroid, but that will happen soon.

Keep working with your doctor, hope all comes out well

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semper Fi, Marine, welcome to BF, and the 50+ gang. I have to take it you are/were on embassy/legation duty, an interesting duty I imagine. Back to our regular scheduled discussion.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preco View Post
    Newbert
    The amour thyroid has also helped me with anxiety at least I feel it does. I still stress and instead of lasting for days I can control it on my own.I do find that exercising really helps with the stress and staying away form Coffee,sugar and soy also over the last few years I try to stay away from processed food as much as possible. Pizza and burgers are hard to stay away from.I also try to find time too just relax I like to read Sifi Fantasy books it helps get my mind off things.

And yes in my case it has lowered the amount of snythroid from 150mcg to 50mcg of synthroid and 90mg of Armour thyroid. The amour thyroid contains T3 and T4 and is a natural thyroid. I will never completely get off synthroid because of the amount total I need to take.I do know some people that only have Armour thyroid by its self.

Yes if I were you I would talk to your Doc about it. It cant hurt to talk about it that's how I got my Doc to add the amour-thyroid.
    Thanks so much for sharing this info! I have a follow-up appointment with my Doctor on Monday and will definitely discuss options like Armour Thyroid. (Until now, I wasn't even aware that any options, in terms of treatment for hypothyroid exist...)

Thanks again.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, in talking with my doctor (who rides a little) told me my levels came in at 54. He told me that anything over a 6 gets his attention and 54 though not off the charts was pretty high. I told him my general feeling of "ugh" has been with me since sometime last summer and maybe with the approaching ride season I could turn in some good times on Strava. He was chuckling a little over that and was telling me that thyroid meds are used in horse racing for an edge. Time will tell but I do look forward to starting meds in the morning.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant really respond to the original question as my thryroid was removed in Dec 2005. I take synthroid daily, and am able to keep riding.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The doc put me on .05mg Synthroid. My body is very sensitive to medications at the start. My noticeable hypo symptoms have been a lowered motivation/sense of well-being and that cursed brain fo.....
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12