Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, what a wife!

Mrs S just presented me with a gift certificate for a professional bike fitting for my birthday. Isn't she wonderful? So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you happy with your current bike? You know, a bird in the hand is worth more than how many in the bush???
    Who is John Galt?

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughtful gift.

And n+1 is good anytime.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Thoughtful gift.

And n+1 is good anytime.
    This. ^^^^^^

Happy Birthday!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
    Great wife! About 15 years ago, mine starting cycling on her own and by doing so rekindled my interest in it. We've been riding together ever since. I keep getting her cycling stuff...

Fits are portable between bikes. Once you have the relative positions of the crank, seat and bars working to your likings, adjust and select components to duplicate that on any other bike of the same general type. To do that requires a tape measure and plumb line.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    Great wife! About 15 years ago, mine starting cycling on her own and by doing so rekindled my interest in it. We've been riding together ever since. I keep getting her cycling stuff...

Fits are portable between bikes. Once you have the relative positions of the crank, seat and bars working to your likings, adjust and select components to duplicate that on any other bike of the same general type. To do that requires a tape measure and plumb line.
    +1!

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local shop did that when I was getting a new bike. It turned out that my old bike was pretty dialed in by me doing just what felt "right".

If you want to use this opportunity to justify an addition to your bicycle stable, by all means do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is a professional fit better than one that feels right? Isn't a professional fit a bunch of measurements to some sort of industry standard for what is right? A person may not fit the industry standard because of any number of reasons. Every body is different with different quirks.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    Mrs S just presented me with a gift certificate for a professional bike fitting for my birthday. Isn't she wonderful? So, get fitted on my current faithful ride or really celebrate the occasion with a fit on a new ride? Hm.
    A pro fit is portable. Keep all the measurements and use them to fit N+1. No, use them to SELECT N+1.

I was told to "get fit before you buy your bike." I thought the guys in the club were crazy. Now I know they were right. But I lucked out. The bike I was riding was a '89 Trek 54 cm. It was a scoche too small. I got a Trek/Fuji compatible 56 cm and it fit perfect. I watched a ton of videos, and read a bunch of instructions on fitting, and fit myself. It was great for about 20 mi but then I got a back ache and numb hands. I broke down and got a Profit. Best $$ I spent on the bike. I couldn't believe it. And the fitter did very little, and remarked "how close it was." But I could feel the differnce in power and comfort.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib View Post
    I couldn't believe it. And the fitter did very little, and remarked "how close it was." But I could feel the differnce in power and comfort.
    Placebo effect?