Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lumbar fusion and back protection

just had 4 week post op----md says with 3 miles of walking per day he will put me back on road bike at 12 weeks-----does anyone wear any type back support---i am really scared of going down and messing up what i have gained

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you tell how much flexibility is lost yet? I guess I'll eventually have to have one, unless I can get a disc replacement - which the insurance companies are not particularly fond of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wont know till may

am going to start on a stationary bike tonite --but will not know full extent of movement till may

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by larry h View Post
    just had 4 week post op----md says with 3 miles of walking per day he will put me back on road bike at 12 weeks-----does anyone wear any type back support---i am really scared of going down and messing up what i have gained
    By 12 weeks your back should be totally fused. X-Ray should show bone growth, and, in theory, one could have the hardware removed.

I rode the road bike at 12 weeks with no back support after a L-4; L-5 fusion. I was cleared for ALL activities.

I wouldn't worry.

Any loss of flexibility is not discernible. In fact, due to the loss of pain, I have much MORE flexibility.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news Dnvr. By chance did you look into the Prodisc (replacement disc) surgery?

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    That's good news Dnvr. By chance did you look into the Prodisc (replacement disc) surgery?
    Don't know if we are talking about the same thing here, but there was a procedure that worked much better in the cervical area then in the lumbar area, and it may have been what you are referencing??

In any event, I went with a surgeon (first priority) and a very minimally invasive procedure - not using the traditional "cage" - more like a couple of titanium tinker toys and screw-in posts. They can be, and sometimes are, removed after about a year.

http://www.spineclinic.com/treatments.html
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dnvr. Its good to know the cage is not always needed. I am a bit new to this and, just looking ahead a little as I know my day is coming. Anyway, here is the link to Prodisc. It does appear to have quite a few qualifiers and, I'm not sure how much our insurance companies are comfortable with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fusion surgery

Quote Originally Posted by NealH View Post
    due to my injury they he to use 2 rods --4 screws and a cage--had hoped to use minimally invasive but ended up 2 3 inch cuts ---rode stationary --seemed to be fine

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get back on the bike, alternate it with the walks. One of my neighbours found out that he lost about 4% in bone density last year because he wasn't doing enough load bearing (.i.e. walking ) exercises. He was cycling pretty much 100% of the time.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stretching Not Optional

Quote Originally Posted by larry h View Post
    due to my injury they he to use 2 rods --4 screws and a cage--had hoped to use minimally invasive but ended up 2 3 inch cuts ---rode stationary --seemed to be fine
    I had the L4/L5 fusion in 2009. By 12 weeks, I was cleared to begin physical exercise. My treatment included therapies to loosen my hamstrings and pelvic muscles as well as to strengthen the core.

This wound up increasing my flexibility far beyond what it had been prior to the injury and surgery.

I also had the implanted screws with articulated brackets. I like to say that they made up the only Titanium frame I've ever owned , and it was inside of me. The frame was removed at about 9 months post op.

Take it slowly and let your body tell you what it can do.

Good luck,
    Phil

My Bikes
    Windsor Wellington 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my L5-S1 done almost 19 months ago. Because of a post-op infection and a few other things, I wasn't allowed to ride for 6 months after the surgery. I was out of the corsett type brace after 2 1/2 months. Disk replacement wasn't an option for me; my L5 was broken in about 5 pieces.

My flexibility is much better since the surgery because the pain of pinching my spinal cord is no longer the limiting factor. Alanknm is right: continue walking. I would also suggest playing frisbee. The twisting motion works muscles that really help with core-strength.