Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-11, 09:36 PM   #1
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone Familiar with Noodles?

Just bought a road bike on eBay and it has size 42 Nitto Noodles on it. My current favored road bars are either FSA or TTT compact drop bars (44s) and after a bit of internet research I still am not completely sure what I am in for with the Noodles. (The eBay pics aren't real clear.) Aside from a cool name, smaller diameter, and silver color how different will these be? To be honest, I'm a little worried about the smaller diameter of the Noodles....
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:33 PM   #2
oldbobcat

Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The Noodle is a bit of a revival (or a throwback, depending on how you see it) to the traditional road bars of the '70s through the early '90s. It's pretty much what was considered a square bend back then, with moderate drop and moderate reach. The Noodle resembles a Cinelli Giro d'Italia bar but with a little more reach.

Personally, I like the prefer the fit of older bars on the drops, but the on-the-hoods position takes some getting used to, and it's very intolerant of a bad riding position. You might like it, you might not.
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 04:33 AM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I put noodle bars on my RB-1 and rode them for years. I really liked the level approach to the hoods. Very comfortable to me. Not sure what your concern is about the diameter. Wrap them thick if you want a larger grip.

Ribby by BluesDawg, on Flickr
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 06:32 AM   #4
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I am 6', avg build and find the 42 Noodle very comfortable. In fact, I sized down from a 44 in the noodle after trying them out.
northbend is online now   Reply With Quote