Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone Familiar with Noodles?

Just bought a road bike on eBay and it has size 42 Nitto Noodles on it. My current favored road bars are either FSA or TTT compact drop bars (44s) and after a bit of internet research I still am not completely sure what I am in for with the Noodles. (The eBay pics aren't real clear.) Aside from a cool name, smaller diameter, and silver color how different will these be? To be honest, I'm a little worried about the smaller diameter of the Noodles....

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Noodle is a bit of a revival (or a throwback, depending on how you see it) to the traditional road bars of the '70s through the early '90s. It's pretty much what was considered a square bend back then, with moderate drop and moderate reach. The Noodle resembles a Cinelli Giro d'Italia bar but with a little more reach.

Personally, I like the prefer the fit of older bars on the drops, but the on-the-hoods position takes some getting used to, and it's very intolerant of a bad riding position. You might like it, you might not.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put noodle bars on my RB-1 and rode them for years. I really liked the level approach to the hoods. Very comfortable to me. Not sure what your concern is about the diameter. Wrap them thick if you want a larger grip.

Ribby by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon (Vintage); Merckx MX Leader (Campy 10); Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB), Alex Singer (allrounder)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 6', avg build and find the 42 Noodle very comfortable. In fact, I sized down from a 44 in the noodle after trying them out.