Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just gotta say, I like hills...

I see so many off-hand comments about hating hills that I gotta say, I like hills. I actively search out rides with more hill. I like standing up and pumping up short hills, and sitting and grinding up long steep hills. I like the vistas that getting to the top often provides. Fast descents are fun too, unless they get tediously long. I dislike long flat rides. I also kinda like riding into stiff headwinds.

I know I'm not alone, as there are many group rides that feature climbs.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the hills

I'll sometimes cuss them while I'm climbing them, especially when they come late in a long ride, but I'd much rather do hilly rides than flat ones. But you can keep your headwinds. The only thing worse is a crosswind.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    +1 on the hills

I'll sometimes cuss them while I'm climbing them, especially when they come late in a long ride, but I'd much rather do hilly rides than flat ones. But you can keep your headwinds. The only thing worse is a crosswind.
    +1 I'm built like an NFL running back (5'9" & 190 lbs.) and I suck on the hills but for some reason I like the feeling of accomplishment when I crest the hill and still have enough left to pick up the pace for the flats.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind short hills. Long ones had better have a pretty good payoff. Headwinds and crosswinds? Piffle!

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll choose a hill over a 20 MPH headwind any day.

Brad

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are both "H Factors": Hills, Headwinds and Heat. It's when they gang up on you that it really gets tough. Double H is hard; Triple H is brutal. As I get stronger, I'm starting to enjoy climbing more.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days ago I went out for a short 15 mi. ride. It was warm but windy in a sporadic way. I was having a great time for the first couple of miles and then made a right that put me at due west into a 20-25 mph wind. Good God that sucked. It was like that almost all the way home. The last mile felt like the last mile of a 50 mi. ride.

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As they say, variety is the spice of life. I like hills but I don't like riding just hills where you spend all your time going up long ascents or coasting down the other side. As far as wind goes, I don't mind a head wind if I know I'm going to get rewarded with a tail wind the other way. Going into a head wind all day, particularly when you have to get somewhere by a certain time, is tough.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine a ride without significant climbing. A flat ride to me is 50 ft per mile. It is nice once in a while to do a relatively flat ride for the change, though I have to travel to find it. Heat though kills me. Anything over 80 and I suffer badly. It's always been that way for me.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, you all are my hero's, I'll think about you as I "avoid" the next big hill, if possible! Have a most excellent day!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love long climbs! GMR/GRR that starts with a 7.6 mile climb, Angeles Crest, Hwy 39, all the Long Climbs on the Knoxville Double . . . all very good and great fun.

My friend Laura calls it "the Zen of climbing." I don't know anything about Zen, but it does seem like a semi-meditative state when I'm climbing for hours on end. Sure, I love descents too, esp. the winding type with switchbacks; all good!

Rick / OCRR

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like hills, however, I wish I had a few miles of warm-up before starting on them.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind and the hills are our friends. They speed us along or they make us strong.

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Mountain bike. Mountain is her first name. But since joining the old-geezer gang, I'm thinking more about doing mountain trails like they do in the summer season: Riding the chairlift up to the top and riding the bike down.

I didn't like snow skiing up the mountains either...
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    They are both "H Factors": Hills, Headwinds and Heat. It's when they gang up on you that it really gets tough. Double H is hard; Triple H is brutal. As I get stronger, I'm starting to enjoy climbing more.
    Worse than hills, headwinds and heat; indoor trainers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with ya bro, exept for stiff headwinds. When i was 12 i got into a stiff head wind in the SF bay area. I had a tackle box and fishing pole strapped to my ass and it was getting hard to move forward after fishing all day and being somewhat cold and wet. I kicked the front fork because i was an idiot! I missed and my foot went into the front wheel flipping me and all my junk. Wow, i have a lot more patience now. After racing as an intermediate and junior in the 70s i gained more patience. Now here we are on the 50plus side. I dig sprints up short hills, love decents with the wind in my face, screw a helmet! The vistas are awsome in the sierra foothills where i reside at the present time. A couple of bike riders die every summer in my local, they had helmets but it doesnt matter when a car creams you. Riding now is a sort of meditation that drugs never could beat! In 1999 did a climb with my father into the Austrian Alps. I had not been able to do much training before hand because of work. I cursed that climb all the way to the top! The decent was the most awsome decent i can remember in my cycling times. I got off the saddle and sat on the panier rack, got me a little lower and was more enjoyable to stretch out on the downhill cruise. I always distained tourists on bikes but that was an awsome trip. Keep on keeping on!

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like climbs , just wish there were more closer to me. I have hills but I want mountains so to speak. To get to the mountains is a 2 hour drive and I have done it once and want to again but just haven't yet.
    Heat is okay with me too, just pace yourself and accept it.

And I am with BluesDawg with the crosswinds. I just in fact told my brother those exact words this morning, I don't mind a headwind but I hate a crosswind of the same mph. He agreed.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I see so many off-hand comments about hating hills that I gotta say, I like hills. I actively search out rides with more hill. I like standing up and pumping up short hills, and sitting and grinding up long steep hills. I like the vistas that getting to the top often provides. Fast descents are fun too, unless they get tediously long. I dislike long flat rides. I also kinda like riding into stiff headwinds.

I know I'm not alone, as there are many group rides that feature climbs.
    Just curious how you'd define a long steep hill?
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I'd have to say that 3 miles at 12% at the end of the Mountains of Misery Century is pretty tough.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mont Ventoux and it was fantastic. Once in the rhythm- it wasn't that steep- wasn't that long- just took a long time to do.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like hills as well, a flat ride is boring. I train for hills, doing hill repeats to build strength. Luckily there are a lot of really nice 1200' to 1800' climbs close to me and a nice 2700' mountain about a 45 minute drive.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like riding up hills on my terms. I can enjoy riding up a long climb in an easy gear and develop that rhythm with just enough effort to move along nicely. At 6' and 185 lbs riding up hills in races usually isn't on my terms and they put a hurt into me. Hills lasting less than 2 or 3 minutes are my friend and I can beat up on other guys, any longer and we don't see eye to eye anymore.

I'm going to hill climbing camp in North Central PA the 2nd weekend of April for 3 days of hurt.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll take a 40 mph heawind over a long hill anyday. Figure at 6' 1 (230-240 lbs) it takes me 6 hours to get to the top of this thing. Big headwind won't ever last that long on a century.

Profile Bear by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reno to Tahoe. Circumnavigating Tahoe. Reno to Virgina City via Geiger Grade. To the top of Mission Peak in Fremont CA on a mountain bike. San Jose Ca to the top of Mount Hamilton (Lick Observatory). Nothing too epic. These are a few of my faves, which I miss dearly since moving to New England.

I used to regularly ride the trail along Alameda creek out into the SF Bay into steady 30 mph headwinds. You could really fly going the other way. Paddling a kayak into these winds duck hunting in the South Bay was a different kind of a workout.
    Last edited by Looigi; 03-21-11 at 05:04 PM.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on where you are. Two years ago we spent the spring and summer in the Lake Placid NY area. I hated hills when I got there, but by the end of the summer I was right at home there and loved to do hills. Now that I am back in the Arizona desert the hills in my area are no match for the ones in Lake Placid. Most of my ridding is flatter and so hills have become more problematic.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast