Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

New Season begins

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

New Season begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-11, 12:15 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New Season begins

It was only a few weeks ago when I was using the snow blower to blow out 18" of wet concrete snow out of the drive. Now the yard is almost completely visible, the streets are clear, although the big dirty snow mounds will be around for a few weeks. The shady protected parts of the bike path are still unpassable and likely to be so for a few weeks yet. I finally got out, I could have gone yesterday but that kitchen remodeling project that was started at thanksgiving and put aside for ski season just had to get finished.

Anyway - I got out for an hour today, nothing to long or hard but I get the lungs cleared out and made sure the legs still worked. Boy did the bike feel good, I love how quiet it is to zoom along, that since of oneness with the bike. How it glides, how it responds. It's great to see the season start anew.

Fortunately and unfortunately, the bike can be times of deep meditation for me - today it was thoughts of the current bone heads in DC getting us mixed up in a civil war. I was amazed how the liberal press turned on the anointed one on the Sunday talk shows. Oh well - that's too off topic and will probably get this moved off to the political section - sorry.
Old 03-21-11, 10:11 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Getting some quality bike time here too. I even moved the Van from it's winter home in the garage, so now there's room to work on the bikes!

Now I just need temperatures warm enough to keep my hands from freezing aroung the cold metal and I can start wrenching for fun again!! (they're calling for four days of scattered snow flurries!! )
Old 03-21-11, 10:24 AM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
We had a awesome ride yesterday, not a long one, 25 total but it was, partly sunny, in the 60's (F), wind was a bit mellower than it's been for a while, we just rode along and yacked and enjoyed the "feel" of Spring! Even though, March is the 2nd. highest month for "SNOWFALL" in So. Colorado, (Colorado Springs). It just felt good to not feel, COLD, (we have very chilly winds this time of year, usually) and be out for ride that didn't have any real destination or time limit!

Old 03-21-11, 04:18 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Getting some quality bike time here too. I even moved the Van from it's winter home in the garage, so now there's room to work on the bikes!

Now I just need temperatures warm enough to keep my hands from freezing aroung the cold metal and I can start wrenching for fun again!! (they're calling for four days of scattered snow flurries!! )
Lenny,

I moved the exploder out of the garage as well so I can bring the wife's and daughter's bikes off the hooks, they can't do that by themselves so this way they can go out when I am not at home.

Sloppy snow here today, it mostly melted off the roads by afternoon. Oh well, things should be a lot better when I can ride again next week.
Old 03-21-11, 05:28 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I love your handle, cyclinfool. I also love upstate NY. I was in the Lake Placid area one spring and summer, and would love to be able to spend all my summers there. Lots of hills and hundreds of miles of great ridding. I envy you the summers but not the winters. The cold just hurts my bones.
Old 03-21-11, 05:34 PM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
I love your handle, cyclinfool. I also love upstate NY. I was in the Lake Placid area one spring and summer, and would love to be able to spend all my summers there. Lots of hills and hundreds of miles of great ridding. I envy you the summers but not the winters. The cold just hurts my bones.
Phil,

The DaKs are great for riding, lots of quiet roads, pristine lakes of crystal clear water and magnificent vistas. However, as you state - you gotta love winters if you are going to be here 12 months of the year, thankfully I am a down hill skier so my winters are just as full as my summers.