Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First real ride on new road bike, and first flat...

I just got back from a week at the beach where I put 178 miles on my Raleigh Misceo 1.0 riding up and down Ocean Blvd in Surfside Beach SC. It was lots of fun and really enjoyed myself. The Misceo is perfect for the beach and I have put about 280 miles on it over the two weeks I have been able to ride it this winter. Came back to Ohio last night.

The weather was halfway decent here today, so I decided to take my 2010 Specialized Sectuer Triple out for a ride tonight. I just bought it a month ago, mainly to ride on a trainer over the winter. I have about 120 miles on it using a Elite RealTour trainer, but it has never seen the road. I played around for an hour getting used to it and was really having fun. I climbed a couple of pretty steep hills in the area and was really getting a feel for the bike.

I parked it and took care of some other stuff in the garage while the weather was decent. After I was done, I carried the bike back into the basement and found out I had a flat rear tire. There was a tiny little rock that had embedded itself into the tire and went on to puncture the tube. I don't have a patch kit, so I am not going to be able to ride for a day or so while I figure out what replacement tire to buy.

This is the first flat I have gotten on a bicycle in the last year, and since this is my first road bike in 35+ years and I had only ridden only about 10 miles, I am obviously a little nervous that I am going to be going through a bunch of money on tires and tubes.

So I have some questions that hopefully you experts can help me with:

1) Is it possible that the rear tire was compromised / made softer by being used on the trainer? The tread looks OK, so it is not wore out or anything.
    2) If the tire was not compromised, are Specialized All Condition 700cx25 tires any good? That is what came on the bike.
    3) Should I just patch the tube and not worry about the tiny hole in the tire? That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
    4) If not, should I buy a better tire that the All Conditions? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your assistance!!!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patch the tube and put a small piece of duct tape over the cut on the inside of the tire.

I ride with group of retired folks.
    One day I helped one of the riders with a flat.

He had 19 pieces of duct tape in his tire.
    Said he had 12,000 miles on the tire.
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-21-11 at 10:42 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    _nelsonc, Just patch the tube and remove the stone. We all get flats regardless of tire brand. Some tires I've had seemed more flat worthy than others, but I could also just chalk it up to bad luck. If you don't have 'on the road' tire repair equipment make it a priority purchase.

Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    _nelsonc, Just patch the tube and remove the stone. We all get flats regardless of tire brand. Some tires I've had seemed more flat worthy than others, but I could also just chalk it up to bad luck. If you don't have 'on the road' tire repair equipment make it a priority purchase.

Brad
    Thanks for the advice. I patched the tube, duct taped the cut, and put everything back together. I also bought another tire repair kit as the one I had was scary old.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could talk to 20 different people about what tire they like and you'll get 20 different answers. You'll have better luck asking them about ice cream flavours.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a flat in the first 15 miles on my new bike, too. It was right at the valve. I chocked it up to not having one of those screw thingies against the rim because it was a super cheap tube. I threw the tube out and bought another not as cheap tube ($5.50 instead of $3.00) and have about 300 miles without a flat now. I bought an extra tube for the seat bag and a repair kit. The other wheel still has the super cheap tube on it.

You just had bad luck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    You could talk to 20 different people about what tire they like and you'll get 20 different answers. You'll have better luck asking them about ice cream flavours.
    Mint chocolate chip

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raise you and bet Cherry Vanilla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamoca (without the almonds) from 31 flavors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really aren't all that many bad tires out there anymore. It's more a matter of personal likes and dislikes. I'd replace the tube, remove the stone, and if the hole left is bigger than a pencil point, I'd follow !0 Wheels advice and put a bit of tape over it from the inside.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    09 Specialized Sequoia, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I basically agree with the advice your getting FOR ONE TIME. I hate flats when I am riding. I also have bought a bike with the Specialized All Condition Tire on it as an OEM tire.
    On my second flat I changed the tire to one with a Kevlar reinforcement belt on the tire - Continental Ultra Gator Skin. I have never had a flat on these tires (knock on wood).
    Julio (me)
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    2009 Trek 7.3 (Red)

Patricia (wife)
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite; 2008 Fuji Absolute 2.0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continental Ultra Gator Skin. I have never had a flat on these tires (knock on wood).
    And, I have had two in the past two weeks on these tires. Keep knocking!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...se=&sort=Defau
    My Secteur came with the same Specialized All Condition tires and at 2500 miles show almost no wear. I also have been using the Serfas Seca which are inexpensive and also show no wear. Jensen has the Serfas on sale for $10 each, a true bargan.

On the important topic of icecream I favor Heavy Belgian Chocolate, available only at a secret location near Tiverton's Four Corners in Rhode Island. This icecream should only be used by habitual users of icecream and may be injected directly into the blood stream.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alanknm View Post
    You could talk to 20 different people about what tire they like and you'll get at least 20 different answers. You'll have better luck asking them about ice cream flavours.
    Fixed it for you.

FWIW, I decided years ago to check out other rider's bikes on group rides and to buy whatever they're using. I don't know it it's any better but if (when) I have a flat, at least I don't have to listen to a lecture about what a poor tire purchase decision I made.
    Last edited by Retro Grouch; 03-24-11 at 10:52 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one guy who likes the Michelin Krylons, another who likes Continental Gatorskins, somebody else likes Vittorio, and Continental GP4000's, my neighbour uses Specialized Armadillos, the list goes on and on.

My bike came with a pair of Specialized Elite All Condition. I'll wait until I wear them out and then worry about it then.
    The All Conditions seem to use a really hard rubber compound and I've read somewhere that a reviewer wound up on his backside when riding in cold weather but I can't say that I've noticed that there are any traction issues.

Tire performance really has a lot of variables like road condition, climate, weight of the rider, size, contact area, heat retention, inflation pressure etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I'd just ask around locally for a bunch of opinions (ask people of a similar size and weight riding a similar type of bike ) and use a dartboard to pick one. If the tires don't work for you, choose another. I've heard that some people have had problems with tire quality issues and I recall somebody on another forum reminding the OP of the fact that sometimes the tire can be sitting in a non temperature/humidity controlled warehouse for some time before it reaches the store and can be sitting in the store forever. By the time somebody buys them, they're dried out. I don't know how true that is but it is a good point.

Some people like puncture protection, some don't because they weigh more.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/articl...e-myths-29245/

is interesting. I wonder if they repeat the tests under different temperature conditions ?
    I know from being a garage rat as a kid that temperature can really affect the performance of any tire.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100