Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Holy !@#$!@ bike shipping charges

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Holy !@#$!@ bike shipping charges

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 09:07 AM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alanknm
Heh.. Holes in the side of the box ? At work we shipped a complete computer workstation system to another site by UPS once. When it got there we found out that there were some huge holes in the sides of the boxes and chunks of packing material hanging out the side. Looked as if somebody hit it with a forklift blade. The packing gods must have been generous because there was nothing wrong with it.
Could be. I worked at UPS for 3 days as a box thrower. You had about 15 minutes to empty a UPS truck onto a conveyor belt. Do you think that meant picking up the package, carrying it to the conveyor belt and then walking back and getting another. Nope, you toss it towards the conveyor belt and hope, then when the truck is empty, you go pick up the ones that missed.

When shipping by UPS or FedEx, I use the soccer test for packages. If its well enough packed so that the box can be used as a soccer ball, then it might be ready to ship.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-31-11, 05:44 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, this is frustrating. Shipping is rediculous, airlines rip you off (although I have not checked Southwest) and trains are not much better. This really feels like there is an unmet market need for an entrepeneur. If I could ship my bike for $25 I would take it on business trips where I needed to stay a few days.
Old 03-31-11, 06:23 PM
train safe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
If I could ship my bike for $25 I would take it on business trips where I needed to stay a few days.
that's why I bought the folder... it fits into a standard suitcase and can be taken as regular baggage when you trvel (obviously this doesn't help if you are shipping it)... but it works if you are travelling with it.

train safe-
Old 03-31-11, 06:36 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just can't see myself on a folder

Old 03-31-11, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at a Staples store near Riverside CA the other day (they do UPS shipping), and asked them about shipping a bike from there to Kentucky where I live. The lady used the largest size box that they would accept for the dimension of the box, used a weight of 30 lbs, entered the two zip codes, and quoted me a rate of $176.00.

EDIT: I was going back to Staples yesterday, so I measured the box my bike came in from Bikes Direct. It measured 31.5" x 52" x 8". Bikes Direct listed the weight as 30#. I gave the lady at Staples the dimensions, told her the weight would be 35# (I figured I'd likely ship some accessories back with the bike), and she quoted the shippng via UPS Ground from Moreno Valley, CA to Melbourne, KY at $146.51. That's not too bad, so when I'm done with this project I'll probably just pack it up and ship it home.

Last edited by tpelle; 04-07-11 at 10:37 AM.