User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy !@#$!@ bike shipping charges

Rant, complaint or just the facts?

Just got the FedEx Home Delivery bills on 2 bikes I shipped from Montana to Arizona. Both aluminum and with the packaging weight came in at 25 pounds each.

I almost chocked when I opened the billing. $236 to ship 2 bikes! 30% more than the shipping quote when they were sent. The both bikes might be worth $500 on a good day.

Both FedEx and UPS have spent the great recession raising rates by as much as 40% but this is getting to the point where it only makes sense to ship an expensive bike. I think this all but kills selling a low end bike on scambay. The freight is going to be more than the bike is worth.

I have always been able to ship bikes via FedEx for $60 - $85 in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's brutal. Try traveling somewhere on an airline and shipping your bike out in advance. Brutal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColorChange View Post
    It's brutal. Try traveling somewhere on an airline and shipping your bike out in advance. Brutal.

Even more brutal to a take it along on most airlines...more than the ticket in some cases.

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much nowadays for conventional truck shipping? Back in the day it used to be truck or maybe Greyhound or something like that to get from pt A to pt B for reasonable cost. Yeah, flying w/ bikes is...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, so they charged you more than they quoted you? How does that work?

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody checked with Amtrak for shipping their bikes? I purchased a bike from someone and they were about 300 miles away. However, Amtrak connected to their city and mine. I could have had him ship the bike to me on a baggage car for under $50 bucks. However, I wanted to visit some of my relatives in that city, so I purchased a round trip train ticket. I bought the bike back as baggage. Cost me $15 for a box, and $5 to ship. Plus, I just took off the pedals, and turn the handle bars around. Bike, arrived without damage..

With UPS and FEDEX raising prices like crazy, IMO, when available, train shipping becomes an option...
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    73,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Rant, complaint or just the facts?

Just got the FedEx Home Delivery bills on 2 bikes I shipped from Montana to Arizona. Both aluminum and with the packaging weight came in at 25 pounds each.

I almost chocked when I opened the billing. $236 to ship 2 bikes! 30% more than the shipping quote when they were sent. The both bikes might be worth $500 on a good day.

Both FedEx and UPS have spent the great recession raising rates by as much as 40% but this is getting to the point where it only makes sense to ship an expensive bike. I think this all but kills selling a low end bike on scambay. The freight is going to be more than the bike is worth.

I have always been able to ship bikes via FedEx for $60 - $85 in the past.
    I've never heard of this. Living where I do I do a lot of shipping. I've never had any of the common shipping companies charge more than what they quoted (FedEx, UPS, USPS). In fact, with rare exception they want to get paid up front. I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pay up front with any of them.

What is the real story? Who gave you the quote? What was the shipping company? You sure all the money you paid for "shipping" actually went to the shpping company and not to the seller?

My Bikes
    1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer, 1999 Specialized FSR Elite, 2011 Raleigh Record Ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $236 to ship 2 bikes! ... Both FedEx and UPS have spent the great recession raising rates by as much as 40% but this is getting to the point where it only makes sense to ship an expensive bike.
    About five years ago, I shipped my mt bike from CA to NJ via UPS and it was $85 - can't believe that it went up that much! (I do believe it, but it's a hard pill to swallow). In addition to that, the box had holes in the sides, like they stacked things vertically on top of it (despite labeling to not do so). I was actually concerned that some parts may have fallen out through the holes (pedals). The drivers response: "You got the bike, didn't you?".

Charming. Just charming.

Fortunately, the bike was OK. Using Amtrak or Greydog might be viable options until they catch on and jack the price up.
    There's nothing for you to see here...just move along, now...

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningPirate View Post
    About five years ago, I shipped my mt bike from CA to NJ via UPS and it was $85 - can't believe that it went up that much! (I do believe it, but it's a hard pill to swallow). In addition to that, the box had holes in the sides, like they stacked things vertically on top of it (despite labeling to not do so). I was actually concerned that some parts may have fallen out through the holes (pedals). The drivers response: "You got the bike, didn't you?".

Charming. Just charming.

Fortunately, the bike was OK. Using Amtrak or Greydog might be viable options until they catch on and jack the price up.
    Heh.. Holes in the side of the box ? At work we shipped a complete computer workstation system to another site by UPS once. When it got there we found out that there were some huge holes in the sides of the boxes and chunks of packing material hanging out the side. Looked as if somebody hit it with a forklift blade. The packing gods must have been generous because there was nothing wrong with it.

UPS is also notorious for leaving small packages lying on the doorstep if nobody is home.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheaper to rent a bike at your destination?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude65 View Post
    I've never heard of this. Living where I do I do a lot of shipping. I've never had any of the common shipping companies charge more than what they quoted (FedEx, UPS, USPS). In fact, with rare exception they want to get paid up front. I can't remember the last time I didn't have to pay up front with any of them.

What is the real story? Who gave you the quote? What was the shipping company? You sure all the money you paid for "shipping" actually went to the shpping company and not to the seller?
    I have a FedEx account. The shipping charges are calculated on line based on size, weight, value and ship from and to locations plus any extras you want like customer signature, etc. In the past the "estimates" have been close but not dead on to the penny. I am going to contact them to see why the difference. Still to darn high to ship low value bikes which was the main point.

You made a lot of assumptions and you know that assume makes an a@@ out of u and me.

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised at shipping costs a couple years back when I shipped two bikes east from Washington after a tour; IIRC, it was about $100 and $150. But (a) I had just crossed the country, and got home, so I didn't care, and (b) I'd left them in the care of a bike shop which disassembled and shipped them after I was already home, so I couldn't do much about it.

At over $200 to pack and ship my bike home, the $40 luggage charge for an S&S coupled bike on the plane would have been attractive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a FedEx account. The shipping charges are calculated on line based on size, weight, value and ship from and to locations plus any extras you want like customer signature, etc. In the past the "estimates" have been close but not dead on to the penny. I am going to contact them to see why the difference. Still to darn high to ship low value bikes which was the main point.

You made a lot of assumptions and you know that assume makes an a@@ out of u and me.
    I'd be curious to hear what their explanation is. It does seem a bit odd that they'd be so far off. If I were in your shoes, I'd sure want to know. Otherwise it gets to be a real guessing game whenever you consider shipping something.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shipped one wheel, with a Power Tap hub back to Saris on Saturday, in a wheel box provided by my LBS. Total cost with insurance was $32.20. Ouch! Insurance over UPS's $100 coverage added to the cost considerably.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No assumptions at all. Just a lack of information in the original post that made me wonder what the real facts were. That is why there were questiion marks. You've provided them. Now we know and can better understand the vent.
    Last edited by HawkOwl; 03-23-11 at 10:12 AM.

My Bikes
    Schwinn World Traveler, Raleigh Port Townsend, Bianci Roadmaster, Raleigh Clubman
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP might have got with with an "oversize" charge which wasn't included in the quote.
    We have met the enemy and they is us.

Pogo

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shipped a bike today from Chicago to Austin, TX. The box was 59x29x8". It went FedEx ground for $54.21. This is a residential shipment and I do not have an account.

DoctorWes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://www.shipbikes.com/. Companies like this work special deals with shippers. Packing the bike in the caddy takes some time, though.

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I shipped a bike today from Chicago to Austin, TX. The box was 59x29x8". It went FedEx ground for $54.21. This is a residential shipment and I do not have an account.
    I have a Crateworks bike box I was going to ship from Bakersfield to my son in Washington DC, he was going to bring his bike with for a visit. UPS wanted $150 to ship the EMPTY box to DC and $175 to ship it with the bike in it each way, it was going to cost us $500 to ship a 10 year old bike. I was telling my LBS this and the owner said he had a bike my son could use while he was here visiting, a brand new Pinarello Dogma with Di2 installed.
    Make mine a double!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    ...I was telling my LBS this and the owner said he had a bike my son could use while he was here visiting, a brand new Pinarello Dogma with Di2 installed.

Can I come for a visit ;-).

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Can I come for a visit ;-).
    Anytime, I can't guarantee the Dogma.
    Make mine a double!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this resolved but if I charged myself minimum wage for the time I spent on the phone with FedEx I am still in the hole. After a while I was thinking that they went down and cleaned out the DMV lunchroom to staff their customer reps.

Fedex can not explain the higher charges but reduced the charge to $135 for the both bikes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWes View Post
    Try http://www.shipbikes.com/. Companies like this work special deals with shippers. Packing the bike in the caddy takes some time, though.
    I checked this site out and it was slightly higher than the rates I was originally quoted when I put in for shipping in a standard bike box. Using their $99 box to ship via the airlines might have some merit however.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to hear you got it figured out. customer service all over seems to suck these days (and this is not a rant about outsourcing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoild of bought it at your local bike shop o_0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast