Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife Wants Saddle Too High

My wife likes her saddle high, and recently asked me to raise it for her, which I did.

Today I measured her inseam and calculated the recommended height. The saddle is a full two inches above the height recommended by the Lemond formula (88.3% times inseam to bottom bracket) or 1.09% formula (pedal spindle at lowest point to saddle).

I think I'll try to convince her to try it lower.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either that, or wait until the pain behind her knee convinces her. If it is indeed too high, she'll likely feel it there.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try the heel-on-pedal method; more reliable for me that those formulas. If she has a problem there, you have the ammo to convince her.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take the blocks off her pedals.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just let my wife ride, IMO it's better if it is her idea to lower it, which she likely will. Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She might like to pedal toes down which would lengthen her leg. If that is her natural style then it might be ok, but two inches is quite a lot.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up giving my wife, or most other people for that matter, advice... unless they ask for it. I figure I'll stay married longer this way. As BikeWNC points out, she may like to pedal with toes down.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would let her make her own mind up if we are talking about my wife of course. In 51 years I've never changed her mind about anything and I am not about to start now. Your results may be different. Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least she isn't riding with the saddle too low.

I try not to give advice to folks either but... so I have a few girlfriends who refused to learn anything about the bike. Just this weekend my friend meets me for a ride and says "something is wrong, the peddles won't turn". I look, the chain is off. No problem right? Well my friend tried to correct the problem herself and instead of pulling forward the rear derailleur wheel forward cereating slack for the chain, she pulled the front derailleur away from the frame and disconnected the derailleur wire. WTF? Getting the chain on was easy... reconnecting the wire and adjusting the derailleur was hard and her bike... has never ever been cleaned. The chain was crusty with dirt. Ugh! But I was good, just worked quietly and didn't say a word.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just lower it to the proper height , feign loss of memory, and don't tell her.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say just let her have it where she wants. The guy at the lbs told me to raise my seat almost 2 inches. He didn't measure my inseam to determine seat height. He put my bike on the trainer and watched me pedal to see what my style was. He said I should have the seat at the height where I can use every bit of umph from the leg before I hit the down position. If your wife runs out of leg to push with before she hits the bottom then her seat is too high.

Measuring the inseam only gives an approximate because everyone's pedaling style is different. Some people use more of a flat foot pedaling style using the thigh muscles more, but women are more likely to use a toe pushing one using the lower leg muscles more. At least, that's what the dude said. I am 2 inches shorter than my husband, but my seat is significantly higher than his is (my legs are a bit longer, I admit). I also prefer to use the muscles on the front of my lower legs more than my thigh muscles, thus I have more of a toe pushing style. My knees never bother me, my thighs are weak.
    Last edited by outwest5; 03-23-11 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you measure her inseam correctly? It's from the floor up hard against the pubic bone (blush). For example, mine is 3" longer than the pants inseam I wear when correctly measured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pamestique, My husband is always washing my chain. I just figure the dirt and gunk is there showing that I ride it. He loves getting his new bike dirty and then all sparkly again. He loves buying various chain lubes and wash stuff. He loves it so much that I allow him to do the same to mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just do what you are told.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many fitters will have you pedal a bit, then stop the action with your leg extended, and measure the angle of your knee. That's the most precise way to do it. Some also do this with a computer and video. Some do both. Of course, one can still argue about what that angle should be.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on her side and good for her in paying attention to determine what she likes. Many raise their saddles until their hips rock, then they lower it until they don't. Mine is much higher than the formula which is nothing but a starting point.

If you study the road racers on Versus, you see seat heights all over the place. You can tell by how high the knees get.

By the way, one can apply more force on the pedal just before and as it passes over the top (12 o-clock) of the pedal stroke with a higher saddle.

Al
    Last edited by alcanoe; 03-23-11 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Divorce her.

Option II.

Grab her by both upper arms, shake her violently, tell her to 'snap out of it' and slap her in the face with the back of your hand a couple times.

I saw that technique in an few old movies and it always seemed to work really well.
    Last edited by Agave; 03-24-11 at 06:14 AM.
    http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_14902.gif

*Common sense clearly isn't common*

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TAl, Ride behind her and if her hips are rocking excessively, let her know.

Brad

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    TAl, Ride behind her and if her hips are rocking excessively, post a video here!
    fify...
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    I gave up giving my wife, or most other people for that matter, advice... unless they ask for it. I figure I'll stay married longer this way. As BikeWNC points out, she may like to pedal with toes down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    I would let her make her own mind up if we are talking about my wife of course. In 51 years I've never changed her mind about anything and I am not about to start now. Your results may be different. Good luck.
    Smart guys.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 107%of inseam(not pants length), top of seat, to top surface of pedal, at its lowest point, in line with seat tube. (within 1%of your#
    if it slips 1/2inch lower my knees hurt...
    Bud

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Must Take Action

This situation clearly calls for a traditional, strong, knowledgeable 50+ male to set her straight!

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    1980s Ciocc San Cristobal, 2000-ish Ciocc Titan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX-MAN View Post
    Try the heel-on-pedal method; more reliable for me that those formulas. If she has a problem there, you have the ammo to convince her.
    Problem I've found (as an ex-shop mechanic) with the traditional "heel-to-pedal" method is it was okay back-in-the day when cycling shoes had flatter soles and pedals were quill-style. In an age of curved-sole cycling shoes and clip-less pedals, it doesn't necessarily work and can produce saddle heights that are on the low side (but still ride-able). Like all methods, it is a starting point. The LeMond (88.3%) method doesn't take into account crank length/shoe length (but it worked for him so good enough) and the ol' 1.09 method can produce too-high saddle heights (voice of personal experience).
    "A bicycle built by a frame builder has the soul of the builder. A mass produced frame does not have soul. It doesn't know anyone." - Giovanni "Ciocc" Pelizzoli.
    “Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]My Ciocc San Cistobal
    Visit my website at http://ciocc-cat.angelfire.com/

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. She's interested in trying it a little lower, if it ever stops raining here.

If I had my saddle that high, I'd have Achilles tendon problems. The only pain she gets is some tailbone pain, which I've never understood.

Do you think that having it so high could mean a loss in efficiency?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Do you think that having it so high could mean a loss in efficiency?
    Some efficiency articles.

Al

http://bethleasure.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/pedaling-efficiency/

http://www.bikesplit.com/bsa4.htm

http://www.ismj.com/pages/311417173/...ng-cycling.asp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast