Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New England
    My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anybody Seen That @#%$*@XX! GroundHog?

    Just came back from a 38 degree wind from the North ride. What's all this about an early spring? Sure, if you want to keep holed up on your trainer in the basement all year.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

    "The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

  2. #2
    VoodooChile zoste's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...dunno, man...

    70 and sunny...about 5 degrees below normal...
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the groundhog was bribed.

    I can't go out today. The streets were like a luge run this morning. Most of the snow that fell yesterday has melted and now I've got to wait for the salt to get washed away.

    I was out over the weekend and it was about 35F. I think I'll get booties for my road shoes next year to keep the wind out. I came in after only doing about 15 miles because my toes were starting to get pretty cold.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

    2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was good!!

    WOODCHUCK (GROUNDHOG) STEW


    1 woodchuck
    2 onions, sliced
    1/2 cup celery, sliced
    Flour
    Vinegar and water
    Salt and pepper
    Cloves

    Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water. Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; thicken gravy with flour.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

    2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that the weather is getting warmer the raccoons are up and about and shopping for garbage again. It appears that some researchers are claiming that Toronto is "The Raccoon Capital of the World" http://science.yorku.ca/News/Researc...the-world.html

    It makes me wonder.. A local regional airline (Porter) uses a stylized raccoon in all it's ads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXChXPsW7o

    Since then, I've been referring to our needle nosed bandit friends as Mr. Porter.

  7. #7
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,467
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    He was good!!

    WOODCHUCK (GROUNDHOG) STEW


    1 woodchuck
    2 onions, sliced
    1/2 cup celery, sliced
    Flour
    Vinegar and water
    Salt and pepper
    Cloves
    1 lb of bacon

    Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water. Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; add baconthicken gravy with flourand bacon fat.
    Fixed it for you.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks even better.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

    2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say we form a committee and go to Punxsutawney and barbecue Phil and I actually grew up in the town of Punxsutawney.

    A story told to us in 6th grade by my 67 year old teacher: When he was a kid(around 1910) it rained like the dickens on Groundhog Day. Of course the city fathers had to declare spring was here early. no shadow. The next 3 months were some of the worst winter weather on record. They met in a back room and determined that Phil will not go shadow less again and didn't for a long time. I have many other sad and funny Groundhog stories but I will save them for the next time Phil screws up.

    Those that fail the know their history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

  10. #10
    Member Midlo Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Midlothian, Va
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    I say we form a committee and go to Punxsutawney and barbecue Phil and I actually grew up in the town of Punxsutawney.

    A story told to us in 6th grade by my 67 year old teacher: When he was a kid(around 1910) it rained like the dickens on Groundhog Day. Of course the city fathers had to declare spring was here early. no shadow. The next 3 months were some of the worst winter weather on record. They met in a back room and determined that Phil will not go shadow less again and didn't for a long time. I have many other sad and funny Groundhog stories but I will save them for the next time Phil screws up.

    Those that fail the know their history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.
    How can a groundhog that lives all year inside a library forecast the weather. That charade of pulling that furry rat out of a stump every year is really funny. Went there one year and saw how he really lives and wish I could be treated the same way. My wife used to say how awful that they pulled him out of his bed every year until that trip. Now she laughs every February when they do their show. The stump is even fake. It is now the middle of March and snow is forecast in Virginia. Groundhog predicting the weather, Yea Right.
    Made it this far so I am going for broke. Living life to its fullest.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlo Rider View Post
    How can a groundhog that lives all year inside a library forecast the weather. That charade of pulling that furry rat out of a stump every year is really funny. Went there one year and saw how he really lives and wish I could be treated the same way. My wife used to say how awful that they pulled him out of his bed every year until that trip. Now she laughs every February when they do their show. The stump is even fake. It is now the middle of March and snow is forecast in Virginia. Groundhog predicting the weather, Yea Right.
    You don't know how right you are. Before they built the groundhog habitat at the new library the "Groundhog Club", yes there really is one, kept the furry guy somewhere for the big day. He either died or got away but when I was in HS the morning announcement over the PA system was something like this: "If anyone knows where the Groundhog Club can get a live groundhog contact ........" They were fretting that they would have to use a stuffed taxidermy Phil for the event.

    Some farm kids got their dad's backhoe and dug some poor hibernating "whistle pig" out of the frozen ground to supply the live critter. The whole thing was a big joke when I was growing up there. Somehow it got some legs when hordes of drunken college kids would show up for the event. And the movie didn't hurt either.

    Another slice of Groundhog history is when a church bought the property the "Gobblers Knob" is on. They were quite upset about all the drunken revelry and threaded to kill the whole thing. They all worked it out, with massive police presence I think.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •