Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pie Ride (2 Pie Stops!) Anza Borrego, CA Sat. April 23rd, 2011

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-23-11, 09:04 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

My wife, Jackie and I have reserved two campsites at the Anza Borrego state park to use as a base for a remote start Rebel ride with optional camping for OC Rebels.

The ride is 76 miles with 6,700 feet of climbing. It will start from the Visitor's Center at Anza Borrego state park at 8:00AM on Sat. April 23rd, 2011.

Jackie and I have pre-ridden this route several times to work out the details, and it has also been tested / ridden by OCRebels: Rosanne Giorgio, Lou Ann Montalvo, Linda Adams and Maria Szweminska.

From the visitor's center at Anza Borrego, the route almost immediately starts to climb Montezuma Grade. This is a 12 mile climb that varies from 4% - 8% with the majority being 5-6% (about the same as GMR). It will be warm at the start on the desert floor, but pack a jacket and / or arm / leg warmers since it will be cold at the summit.

There will be a re-group rest stop half way up at the Scenic Overlook (which offers a terrific view of the desert floor). The next re-group is at the little store in the micro-town of Ranchita (just after the summit of Montezuma) where food and drinks are also available for purchase.

After Ranchita it's a constant descent for seven miles, a right turn at the first intersection, left at the 2nd intersection, then a smooth ride with one easy climb into the Pie Stop at Santa Ysabell. Excellent pie and coffee here, plus major re-group.

From Santa Ysabell it's a seven-mile ride, mostly climbing, into the town of Julian. Optional pie stop at Julian as well, and a re-group at the intersection / General Store just as we enter Julian.

After Julian there's a wonderful descent (Banner Grade) back onto the desert floor, then more great desert scenery (and mostly descending) until the left turn at Yaqui Wells. This is a short (two mile) twisty climb that leads to the long final descent into Anza Borrego.

The last re-group stop will be at the Ice Cream shop in Anza Borrego, just off Christmas Circle. After Ice Cream it's a mile and a half ride back to the Visitor's Center, or two miles back to our campground.

Rebels can either drive down Friday evening and camp out with us (or, alternatively, stay at a motel in the town of Anza Borrego), or drive down early Saturday morning and meet us at the Visitor's Center. We're still working on the route sheet, but it will be provided in Standard Rebel Format (SRF).

All 50+ forumites who would like to join our club (OC Rebel Riders) are welcome. Pls. RSVP and let me know if you have any questions!

Here is a link to some Anza Borrego Ride photos:

https://www.ocrebels.com/special.htm#RickPix

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-23-11, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds really, really fun. I wish I was up to the task. Maybe next year. Climbing is not my forte'. I like going fast on a flat.
Old 03-24-11, 03:34 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pi^2. Nice!
Old 03-24-11, 11:29 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I thought this pie ride would be a good idea for this forum, but as of now there have been 57 readers of this post and only 2 replies . . . and no one (yet) saying they'll join us.

Hey 50+ riders, we're going to have 2 pie stops! Really, really good pie too!

Note: outwest5, there is one short flat section!

Rick / OCRR