Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Colnago is still in the shop!

I wanted to swap out the 53/39 on my Colnago Master XL to a compact 50/34. It currently has a Dura Ace in it with Italian threads. Using a Park bottom bracket tool I took about three shots at getting the cups out and was not successful. Given the Colnago has such a great paint job, but one that chips easily, I took it off to my LBS. Well, they can't get it out either. It's now been three days soaking in an anti-seize agent and the drive side cup just doesn't want to move. I guess I wondering if additional time letting it soak will really make much of a difference. I appreciate their approach in wanting to be careful, but I starting to wonder if we'll ever get it out. Have any of you had experiences suggesting that more time and more anti-seize will really work? I'm looking for a ray of hope here.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colnago booth at the Taipei Show 2011.jpgJust got back from the bike show and Colnago had a huge booth. You just new a few more Colnagos in case one is in the shop; ride another one!
    Titanium Cinelli.jpgOr, a Cinelli would be a good companion for your Colnago. This one is titanium, which I hadn't seen in a Cinelli before.
    And they could be friends because they both speak Italian (though maybe with a Taiwanese accent these days).

Rick / OCRR

PS: Yes, time and anti-seize really work. Sorry to say I have had that experience!

Fred at large
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to change your method if the first thing didn't work. Try CAREFULLY heating the BB shell with a hair dryer. The paint should be able to take that much heat without scorching IF you're careful. The heat will expand the shell but not the cup. This may break it loose or allow penetrant into the threads.

Sometimes things need to soak for a long time.
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tool are they using? Does it look something like this: ?

Because, I'm thinking with a tool like that, secured from both sides of the cup, and additional leverage as needed from some added pipe, that cup should be coming off...eventually. Unless they're turning it the wrong way...

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had one BB fixed cup that I couldn't get out with traditional tools and liquid wrench. Fortunately it was on a frame that needed to be painted anyway so I took a torch to it and with lots of heat and a huge wrench I finally broke it free. It took half the threads with it when it came out so I needed to re-tap the BB for an oversize cup.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought exquisite Italian road bikes were like Rolls Royce cars. You replace the car when the ashtray is full, and you replace the bike when a tire goes flat. I guess you've had a lot of luck not getting flats?
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a torch to the BB shell and let the metal expand.

Oh, I see that dck has done that with success. lol
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the ARMY method.... Get a bigger hammer.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Pine View Post
    Use the ARMY method.... Get a bigger hammer.
    I used a similar method once with a stuck BB. But instead of a bigger hammer, I used a longer lever. I used a 15 foot section of TV antenna pole as an extension of the arm of the wrench and it came right out.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No heat, hammer or heartbreak needed. Patience pays off. The old one is out and the new one is in. It just took four days of letting the anti-sieze soak in.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    No heat, hammer or heartbreak needed. Patience pays off. The old one is out and the new one is in. It just took four days of letting the anti-sieze soak in.
    Let's hope they greased it well this time.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."