Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you have a monogamous thing for just one bike?

Because so many of you tell about your several bikes, I've often wondered who here has just one bike. And if you do have several, do you have that one, special, sweet bike that you would be perfectly happy with for all your rides?

I have just one: My lovely "Lady Xizang" - a GT Xizang mountain bike that I bought new in 1995. I've turned down others. On occasion, I'll ride my girlfriend's bike when checking out something she's having trouble with. But I really don't feel a need to have any other bikes, be it road, utility, touring, etc.

Recently, I've been performing subtle little modifications in adapting Lady Xizang to suit my maturing body and changing riding style. New riser stem and handlebars to allow for a little more upright stance in the saddle. New saddle and a new set of touring wheels with touring tires (Marathon Plus 26x1.5 on Mavic xc/719-XTR wheels). New custom rear rack and Ortlieb panniers.

What can you tell us? You have a one-single preference? Has your riding changed over the recent past? How? And are you modifying your favorite bike to accommodate?
    Last edited by xizangstan; 03-26-11 at 05:17 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me. I grew up in a Mormon household.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xizangstan, In the context of your thread, I have a small harem. If I had to have just one bike, it'd be the mountain bike.

Brad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xizangstan, I'm curious. Given some of your previous posts in the past, is this "bicycle relationship" your only monagamous relationship, or perhaps you are a "serial monogamist" in the rest of your life?

For me, being mongamist in real-life for almost 50 years now, my bicycles are my only opportunity for a non-monogamous relationship!! I'll keep it that way.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see a picture of your special bike with her new wheels.

I believe she was the top of the line in her day, was she not?
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 road bikes, one is a touring bike, and a mountain bike but I ride the Gunnar road bike most of the time. One of the road bikes is on loan and one of the others is sitting without a rear wheel. The touring bike hasn't been ridden in 4 years.
    I'm too much of a slacker to maintain several bikes and even let the main ride get kinda run down before I do anything to it.
    btw, I never get emotional about bikes, cars, or other machines and never give them names or human atributes.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velophilanderer here.... With a heart of gold, I do love each member of the harem of course.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long term and loyal relationship with a bike? Yes. Monogamous? No way. I like to do too many different kinds of things with bikes and there is no bike that would do them all.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently sold a bike that I owned for 38 years, She was a noob and I was a teenager when we met.

If I had to be monogamous with one bike it would be a titanium Cyclocross bike for year-around all-weather riding. The bike would also allow for light touring. The bike would fit studded tires in the winter, Cyclocross tires for trails, comfortable road tires for century events and race tires for fast group rides. I would need two sets of wheels.

But having several bikes is better.

Right now my goal is to have a Cyclocross bike for winter use, light touring and trails. A good quality but mass produced vintage bike with fenders as a rain bike for anytime the pavement is damp. A fast long-distance bike for century rides.

Yep, three bikes would do it.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-27-11 at 10:52 AM.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here's what to do:

Ride just one bike faithfully for a long time. Continually tell your wife how much you love that bike. Then one day out of the blue tell your wife: "I'm thinking about getting another bike. The one that I have just isn't doing enough for me."

Then post back and let us know what happens.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Right now my goal is to have a Cyclocross bike for winter use, light touring and trails. A good quality but mass produced vintage bike with fenders as a rain bike for anytime the pavement is damp. A fast long-distance bike for century rides.

Yep, three bikes would do it.
    But you would still be lacking a full suspension MTB, a hardtail 29er single speed, a loaded touring bike ....etc. ad nauseum.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one bike? Well, yes and no. I have for decades favored 2 "types" of bikes both being in the city/utility style. So for me it's the old English 3 speed or the American Cruiser.

Both of these bike light my fire and make me comfortable when I ride.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need at least three bikes: a fairly fast fair weather road bike (my Bianchi), an ATB (my Schwinn), and a commuter/shopper/beater (my Peugeot). It is also fun to have a classy-looking, albeit updated, classic (Capo #1) and an all-original "faded glory" classic (Capo #2), but these are "extras."
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1974 I bought a Peugeot with the biggest frame they sold. I didn't quite fit, but I rode it a LOT for the next 30 years. At that time I was getting signals from my other half that things were not going well with the marriage of 26 years and I started to lust - for bikes and touring and...

I bought a custom Arvon-built expedition bike and rode it across northern Australia. Returning, ... my lovely wife said we should go to Europe and ... so I bought a Greenspeed GTO for her to use. The trip never happened, and now I will use the GTO across Australia this June-August. No pleasing the ex - now there is separation and ...

OTOH, bikes are like dogs: they go with me whenever and wherever. They are faithful, and put up with all of my idiosyncracies.

I have 3 bikes and am now lusting for another custom built that I can carry in a bag with shoulder straps (folder-type with 20" wheels and a IGH). I cannot do that with the Arvon-built, nor with the GTO. Nuff said - bikes are fun, and don't cost as much as my ex did. AKA "low maintenance" is what bikes mean to me

Colorado-California-Florida-(hopefully soon): Panama
    My Bikes
    Vintage GT Xizang (titanium mountain bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver - You seem to have figured me out. I've been married 3 times (one at a time) and have had a number of girlfriends. I'm living with a very sweet lady right now.

Most recently, I've owned a new Pontiac TransAm and at the same time a Hummer H1. I sold both of them and I bought a new white Dodge Ram 4x4 extended cab pickup truck.

So I've played the field a bit, you might say.

But with bikes, I got lucky. I've tried 'quickies' with lots of other guys' bikes, and even spent a couple days with others. No need to make my petite little beauty queen jealous. She does it all for me!

(I can't get arrested if she's only 16, can I?)

And yes, I'll take some photos of her for you guys to drool over.
    Who is John Galt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monogamist relationship with a bike?

Yeah right!!

Maybe if I found a bike that treats me as special as my wife does, well, ...then maybe... Nah!

Banned
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup...right here.

I've tried the multiple-bike thing, never got beyond 2. The last 'extra' bike was fall of '06, about the same time I sold the last car. Since then, I have had just one bike, and I have no reason to think it'll change any time soon.

And when that one beautiful, faithful, dependable bike is no longer able to take me for rides -- essentially, when it dies -- I will acquire ONE bike again, and be faithful to it.

*LIFE LESSON: When you have slippery fingers, don't try juggling.*

(That's almost as good as "When you're walking on eggs, don't hop.")

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My grandfather told of a story about the Kirgiz. Apparently back then, a young man started out with an old wife, because that was all he could afford. And as he became more mature and prosperous, he could afford more wives, succeedingly younger and more beautiful.

Apparently, in my life, that applies to bicycles.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    My grandfather told of a story about the Kirgiz. Apparently back then, a young man started out with an old wife, because that was all he could afford. And as he became more mature and prosperous, he could afford more wives, succeedingly younger and more beautiful.

Apparently, in my life, that applies to bicycles.
    Good one!

I have a number of different bikes, and use them for different things. I recently shipped my 1987 Jamis Explorer which I've loved since 1987 to my nephew in Hawaii. All other bikes come and go easily. I've had to change out my bikes as I've developed arthritis in my hands. My Trek Lime is an automatic 3 speed with really comfy handlebars - no shifting pain. This gets me to Publix and around town now. I hate to give up on MTB so I've gotten a couple with rapid fire shifters - had to lift the handlebars a little higher so not all the weight is on my arms/hands. And of course, the beach cruisers for beach riding.

I have 6 vehicles, a Miata, 2 minivans, a jeep, a ram 2500 conversion van and a classic red 1989 convertible with 26,000 miles. They also each have their own "style" and use.

I've been with the same guy for 22 years. Never been married - I am a commitment phobe. Fortunately you can't shop craigslist for a good deal on a different model guy or I might have a stable full of them - one for each occasion.
    Foxye, the Floribbean

2006 Trek Rail
    2009 Trek Lime
    2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7
    1980s Nishiki Road Bike
    1993 Cannondale V1000
    1994 Cannondale Killer V900
    1995 Cannondale M1000
    1996 Cannondale Killer V900
    1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3
    1997 Cannondale F1000
    1997 Cannondale Super V 2000

Fred at large
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one? No way.

Now, I'm not like these other biking playboys who have to have the latest and greatest velo idea to add to their ever increasing stable. But, I admit that I have more than 1 steed and I could not live without them. (well, maybe I could stand to let the Haro and the Nishiki go and probably will someday. Soon.)

I have my Orbea for road riding.
    I have my Hei-Hei for off road riding.

I split my time equally between the 2 and I'm in domestic bliss.

N=2
    I am Fred, hear me slurp my Grande Mocha.

2006 60cm Orbea Orca with 2009 Rival
    1985 55cm Nishiki lugged steel with Shimano parts and Rigida wheels (C&V for sale)

1987 Haro Extreme (undermount rear brake) mtn bike with Shimano LX and Rock Shox fork
    2009 Kona Hei-Hei 2-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my wife didn't mind me having a mistress or two, i'd probably have them. However she does, and if I did, my life insurance policy would have been paid off a long time ago.
    The bikes don't seen to care if I ride one or the other. And are ok if I ignore them for a bit. But they do sign a siren song if I leave them hanging for too long.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    OK, here's what to do:

Ride just one bike faithfully for a long time. Continually tell your wife how much you love that bike. Then one day out of the blue tell your wife: "I'm thinking about getting another bike. The one that I have just isn't doing enough for me."

Then post back and let us know what happens.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep 8 of them in the basement. I try to spend time down there with them every day in the winter, tending to their needs. In decent weather I try to spend time outdoors with some of them but must admit I'm not always fair. They're getting older now and growing more beautiful as each day passes. Sometimes, at night, I even dream about some of them and have been known to visit during the wee hours...

...Wait a minute...are we talking about bikes???

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the OP is pretty much telling us that he only has one style of ring? That's a sad thing.

What about road riding, tandem, offroad etc? Married 3 times? If you had a tandem, you'd still be with the first wife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
    xizangstan, In the context of your thread, I have a small harem. If I had to have just one bike, it'd be the mountain bike.

Brad
    Small harem, pifft. I am going for a Maharajah size harem of bicycles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast