Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ann Arbor, Michigan, 3rd Annual 50+ Summer Ride, "One Helluva Ride" Invitation

I'm setting up this new thread for this ride. It's been discussed in several threads, most notably in one titled "3rd Annual ... Ride."

I'm inviting any 50+er or BFer (and any friends/family) to come to Ann Arbor Michigan and participate in the 1-day organized ride, "One Helluva Ride." It will be held rain or shine on Saturday, July 9 2011. On-line registration has begun, at www.aabts.org/ohr. You can see all the riding and pricing options there on-line. Several of us have already signed up for the 64 mile option (good opportunity to do that birthday-distance ride!), and I'm hoping we'll to some degree ride together.

The route and all of the (really rather extensive) supporting functions are set by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society. Participation is unlimited - registration is not cut off up to and including day-of-event. Significant and generally adequate food and water stops are provided by AABTS as part of the event fee. The route is always well-marked with little pitchforks spray painted on the ground, and the variety of route distances are indicated by pitchfork color. Local LEOs monitor the route and assist with controlling significant traffic crossings.

The AABTS prides itself on choosing the best-condition roads for these rides, within of course the constraints of designing closed loops. Because of this, they don't release current event maps until the day of event. All registered riders will be given the correct map - if they forget, ask. I can sketch up last year's maps on MapMyRide if anyone is interested. There is usually a lot of repetition, but not total repetition from year to year. The routine of the event has been developed for 35 years, so most possible problems have been discovered already.

I've been asked for hotel and restaurant recommendations, and I can provide some favorite restaurants, but I don't really know the hotels. Commonly Ann Arbor people recommend the LampPost Inn for a locally-owned low-cost motel that is reasonably clean and capable, but has no food or other amenities. You do get a decent room. Much higher on the service scale is Weber's Inn. I suggest we focus on rooms in Ann Arbor or within 10 miles, making our other activities as a group more convenient.

Camping may seem a good option, and of course it's always fun. But the suggested campgrounds are Waterloo Recreation Area and Hell Creek Ranch. Both are 30 to 40 miles from Ann Arbor, and in different directions. Recreating in a group might not be possible. OTOH, if me and Mrs. Road Fan are the only ones 50 miles from the BF 50+ers, I'll suck it up. Either way, biking to the event start is probably not a good proposition, from Waterloo, Hell, or Ann Arbor. There are some lodgings in Chelsea itself.

There's been a tradition (?) in the annual 50+ rides to dine together when possible and to do some shorter rides as a group. I can block off Thursday and Friday before the event as vacation days and hence be available. I'll come up with some specific options after I get an idea where people want to sleep. As I said before, right now it's potentially a 50 mile span.

There is still a problem in hotels nationally, that of bedbugs. I don't think it's ever been a huge problem in Washtenaw County, but anyone who's considering staying in a hotel or motel here or anywhere should check it out on www.bedbugregistry.com.

Copying and pasting from the last thread on this (post #147, with additions from more recent activity), currently interested parties include:

rtool
    billydon
    JimfromBoston
    Road Fan and Mrs. Road Fan
    Beverly (with friends from Dayton?)
    Freedomrider1
    BlazingPedals
    Louis (with friends?)

PAlt, it would be good to meet, but it looks like it won't happen this year.

My back yard is small, but I think two parties could set up tents in it. My driveway could in addition take a moderate RV. Got a nice charcoal Weber kettle, too.
    Last edited by Road Fan; 03-27-11 at 08:58 AM.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the preferences of those who show up and are looking for added riding, I'll invite you all to join me in rides on Thursday and a recovery/pre-event/taper on Friday. Probably 20 miles each. Maybe the Hills of Ann Arbor on Thursday and a flat country ride on Friday. Sunday we can discuss.

I'd also suggest group dinner on Friday and Saturday nights, with brunch on Sunday before us workin' folks have to get back in place for toil.

So far those who are registering are selecting the 64 mile option. Mrs. Road Fan and I rode that last year, and we loved it.
    Last edited by Road Fan; 03-27-11 at 09:01 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liability for this ride - will write something here.

Anyone who knows enough law to add some concrete information, please contribute in this space or at least in this thread. I'll try to multiquote it all together. BF 50+ needs to build an understanding of these issues - it comes up anytime organizing is mentioned.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This brings back the memories. I was a grad student at U of Mich from 1975 to 1980, and I went on the Helluva Ride at least twice. I also went on most of the Saturday club rides. What a great place for riding.

I remember a Saturday ride in which one guy had one of the first Bell Helmets:

On that ride, he hit a St. Bernard, and fell on his head, but was OK.

The next week, six of the riders had Bell helmets.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come join us and bring your Bell. Helmets are required, btw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride the 75 route and its not too bad with the nice break stops provided. That being said, a couple of times it started heating up pretty good in the afternoon and it was all I could handle. I am open to whatever, if there is anyone who would perfer the 75, I would do that with them.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would consider the 75, depends on my training, starting, well, now, really! Not sure wehave to decide absolutely, do we?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think we do have to decide, that last part of the 75 is interesting with some rolling hills, I have never done a century, it seems when i get to the cut off point for the century i always think naw i have had enough.Have you ever been to a Irish pub in Chelsea named Cleary's? Saw it on OHR website looked like good food and drink.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    I dont think we do have to decide, that last part of the 75 is interesting with some rolling hills, I have never done a century, it seems when i get to the cut off point for the century i always think naw i have had enough.Have you ever been to a Irish pub in Chelsea named Cleary's? Saw it on OHR website looked like good food and drink.
    I think I have been there, but quite a long time ago. Worth another try? Maybe we should test it and report back to 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to test that out Road Fan, we will keep that in mind. Right now i am training for The Glass City Half marathon which is April 17, by the way iam not a fast or graceful runner just want to get it done and get on the bike. So after that...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I plan to be in Chicago for the Chicago C&V ride held by iab on teh 16th. I should be in need of added hydration.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I would most likely arrive a couple days early and stay at the Weber Inn in AA. The 64 miler will likely be enough for me.

Edit: On review of the room rates, I suggest the Lamp Post Inn for 50+ headquarters for those not camping. I am open to other ideas though....

Link: http://www.lamppostinn.com/ann-arbor-map.html
    Last edited by billydonn; 03-27-11 at 08:51 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta stay hydrated better this year. Last year I was flirting with heat stroke when I got to the last rest stop. I stayed ahead of the Wolverines until a innocent-looking hill just south of Grass Lake. Hitting that was just like hitting a wall. After limping a few miles into town, I stayed in the shade drinking lemonade for about 45 minutes before I was fit to ride again. The 75-mile route is a good one, and it gets us to the watermelon faster than the century route!

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail mtb, '01 Rans Wave, '98 Raleigh R700, Mid-80's Takara Professional, '91 Bianchi Alfana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still planning on coming up too! However - I interview this week for a different position at work, so depending on whether or not I get the job will determine what happens next, as I'll be going back on swing shift. Lots of pros and cons involved each way! I'll definitely keep you informed.
    Oh, the 64 miler is about as much as I'd be interested in. After that it starts to feel too much like work!
    Faster than a sundial.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck, Seenowevil!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I gotta stay hydrated better this year. Last year I was flirting with heat stroke when I got to the last rest stop. I stayed ahead of the Wolverines until a innocent-looking hill just south of Grass Lake. Hitting that was just like hitting a wall. After limping a few miles into town, I stayed in the shade drinking lemonade for about 45 minutes before I was fit to ride again. The 75-mile route is a good one, and it gets us to the watermelon faster than the century route!
    If you were staying ahead of Wolverines you were doing a lot better than me, since for one thing, they paceline!

I remember a bunch of placid, wind-killing hills coming east out of Grass Lake!

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After recovering at Grass Lake, I figured I'd take it easy the rest of the way back. I sort of loafed until we hit the last eastbound stretch. It must have been a tailwind, because even at my reduced power, it was very fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Know what you are sayin Blazing, at Grass lake thats when the heat starts to get to you,but what a nice rest stop there to get you fixed up,it is still a ride to the finish. also that is where they cut off for the century i think.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's correct, Freedom. One year I had an amazingly fast run east back into Chelsea, after the hot area that has no trees - Kept up and passed my friends on their tandem Rans, riding my Mondonico. I still haven't quite figured that one out.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure wish we could join you -- the 1st annual ride still stands out as one of my favorite events in recent memory. Wishing you all a great time and looking forward to the pictures!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then, it's Yen!

I really wish you could join us, too.

I'm a little worried that the campers and hotellers will be a long distance from each other.

Have you started riding again?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sayin, 50+ers, you all don't have to forgo having a nice summer gathering. Somebody else can set on up on the West Coast, and another in the south or southeast, perhaps.

With today's gas prices I don't blame anyone for not driving to Michigan.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken - I still can't ride or do other things I enjoy without pain. The tennis elbow is the most painful, and even if the doctor didn't restrict me from riding then the elbow pain would not allow it ----- it would hurt a lot just squeezing brake lever.

This sounds like a fun ride... we'll talk about it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Beverly i may be interested in camping with you and your friends,let me know on what you find out, have you ever done any of the GOBA rides in Ohio?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
    Hey, Beverly i may be interested in camping with you and your friends,let me know on what you find out, have you ever done any of the GOBA rides in Ohio?
    Yes, I've done GOBA the past two years and will be doing it again this year. Nothing could be as hilly as last year....could it

We'll probably camp at the Waterloo camp area. I've tried to access their website but the camping option doesn't seem to work for me...guess I'll need to call them. I'll post what I find out from them. I know rtool will be with us and maybe John. I think Louis plans to camp, too.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast