Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Roubaix vs Ruby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roubaix vs Ruby

Hi, I've been reading about the Roubaix and it sounds like a great bike. I rode one for a few minutes today at the lbs and I felt too stretched out. I'm 5'5" woman. So, I tried the Ruby, and it felt great, but I didn't really ride either one very long.

The lbs said the Ruby was just the same as the Roubaix except the geometry was built for women. However, comparing the two bikes online, it appears they are different. What are your opinions on this? I'm a noob, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are buying a bike, get the one that rides and fits YOU the best.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 5'5" you'd be looking at a 51cm frame ? I'm just under 5'6" and my Roubaix is a 52.

The top tube on the 52cm Roubaix is 537mm Seat tube is 475mm Seat tube angle 74 degrees
    The top tube on the 51cmd Ruby is 515mm Seat tube is 445mm Seat tube angle 75.5 degrees

That probably explains why you feel stretched out. The saddle is totally different as well.
    I couldn't see my wife riding my Roubaix with the Avatar saddle for example. It's way too narrow for her.
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a given model level, the Ruby and the Roubaix are identical except for the frame geometry. That means if you're looking at a Ruby Elite SL2 Compact, its technical features will be identical to a Roubaix Elite SL2 Compact.

Both frames are built on an "endurance" (plush) geometry, which, according to Specialized, means slacker head angle, slightly longer fork rake, "zertz" inserts, and the famous extended head tube. The Ruby is built as a women's bike, though. The frame is shorter in the top tube and steeper in the seat tube. The bike is fitted with a shorter handlebar stem, a narrower, shorter reach handlebar, and a women's saddle.

Some women, usually those with proportionally short legs and/or long arms, prefer the men's frame geometry. The still usually end up changing the saddle and handlebar, though.

Have I left anything out?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think so. I do know a woman who rides a Tarmac (with a different saddle of course) and she is longer in the torso so a Tarmac is a better fit.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.

2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is 5'3.5" and rides a 51cm Amira. She loves the way it fits and rides.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2008 Roubaix. I'm about 5'8.5" but wanted a shorter reach so I considered a Ruby for its compact geometry, but the largest Ruby frame was too small for me.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post
    The lbs said the Ruby was just the same as the Roubaix except the geometry was built for women. However, comparing the two bikes online, it appears they are different.
    Which models were you comparing and what differences did you see? It does appear that the Ruby Expert does not have the new SL3 style frame with internal cable routing and has 9r vs. 10r carbon, more like the 2010 Roubaix. Other than the woman specific variations, the components and accessories look to be pretty much the same.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Which models were you comparing and what differences did you see? It does appear that the Ruby Expert does not have the new SL3 style frame with internal cable routing and has 9r vs. 10r carbon, more like the 2010 Roubaix. Other than the woman specific variations, the components and accessories look to be pretty much the same.
    Could be an overstock of 2010 frames or the jig has not yet been made for the 2011 Ruby.

It is generally the shorter women that find the WSD frames more comfortable. They do not suit all women but if that is the frame that works for you- then go for the Ruby. WSD bikes do not only have differences in frame Geometry. Some of the Components are changed aswell such as short reach brake levers for the smaller hands- Bar width and saddle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that Specialized trickled down the SL3 tech to the Ruby this year. They only did it for the Tarmac and the Roubaix.

2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When do the 2012 models come out?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabriz View Post
    When do the 2012 models come out?

It varies. They usually start announcing the new stuff around August. Models that sold out early tend to be released earliest. I think I got one of the earliest 2011 Roubaix Experts in mid-December. I saw some Sectuers on the showroom floor in July.

What features of the SL3 design do you like over the current model to make it worth waiting to see if they will change the Ruby for 2012?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The SL2 started coming out in production volumes about the same time. I got mine in January. I think the 2011 Tarmacs came out about the same time (early December).

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, the rule of thumb in bikes and shoes is fit trumps everything else. If it does not fit, it will not feel good. If it does not feel good, you will not ride it.

Now a bike that does not quite fit can be modified to fit by a decent LBS. But if as is said above, the Ruby and the Roubaix are essentially equivelent in frame and components, go with the fit. It is a no brainer.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Roubaix and my wife a Ruby, both have full Ultegra. She loves her Ruby A TON. She's riden it 1000s of miles, on centuries and week long supported tours.

If it feels good, get it. It certainly shouldn't be looked at as "lesser than a Roubaix."

Just because I can, here's her photo. I think her bike is about as pretty as they come.
    Tricia and her new Ruby
    by ccorlew, on Flickr

Now with red tires! And upgraded Williams System 19 wheels.

BigBossMan Birthday ride_Red Tires
    by ccorlew, on Flickr
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'7" (barely) and ride a 54cm Ruby Pro. I tried the Roubaix but it did not fit as well. Very comfortable riding on the hoods.
    It's a 2006 model bought new in 2008 and seemed comparable to the Roubaix bikes that era. All Dura-Ace components.
    I swapped the c/f seatpost for alloy, subbed the saddle for one that was better suited for athena-class saggy middle-age butt.
    I use the bike for commuting to work, coffeeshop noodling, club/event rides, and a 400-mile weeklong supported tour.
    Have ridden it for < 2-1/2 years and 8500 miles.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the seatpost swap?

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I have a 2008 Roubaix. I'm about 5'8.5" but wanted a shorter reach so I considered a Ruby for its compact geometry, but the largest Ruby frame was too small for me.
    5'8.5" is not outrageously tall. At your height I'd be looking at a 54, or a 56 if your build tends toward rangy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought it!

So, I bought the Ruby Expert last week! I went back and tried both bikes again, and the Ruby won out. I too traded the seat for one for an old athena saggy butt, but I guess my butt is even older and saggier than I though and wants the saddle from my old bike back. I may swap them. I've ridden about 100 miles so far, and I'm loving it more with every mile!

Tabriz

Oh! That British Bloke .. ThatBritBloke's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not the law that women must buy the women's version of a bicycle. Taller women often favour a "regular" bike to the point where most manufacturers only build bikes up to "medium".

The "women's" bike is an extra choice for women to choose if it suits them. Components can vary at any particular level to accommodate smaller hands, shoulders, etc.

Frankly, even if you're a guy with fit problems it might be worth trying the alternative geometry. Most women's bikes aren't pink.
    Alan

Oh! That British Bloke ... in central New Jersey
    http://h-i-l-l.net/BikeBlog/BikesT.png
    ohthatbritishbloke.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the seatpost swap?
    I wanted to commute on the bike. The really nice c/f seatpost was not compatible with the quick-release beam rear rack I use to carry a pannier or trunk bag.

My Ruby bike came with a Specialized Jett saddle. The bottom edges were stiff on the sides of the nose and cut into my upper legs. I am not built like Tricia. Otherwise it seemed like a good saddle.

The bike is deep red/maroon with a beautiful finish. No butterflies or Barbie doll colors.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nkfrench View Post
    I wanted to commute on the bike. The really nice c/f seatpost was not compatible with the quick-release beam rear rack I use to carry a pannier or trunk bag.
    I figured that was probably the reason and it's a good one. I wouldn't clamp anything solid and weight-bearing onto the shaft of a CF seatpost.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting for photos.....(aaaahum)
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post
    5'8.5" is not outrageously tall. At your height I'd be looking at a 54, or a 56 if your build tends toward rangy.
    I know... I consider myself "on the short side of tall". I did get the 54cm Roubaix. The largest Ruby (at that time, in 2008) was a bit too small, probably similar to the 52cm Roubaix.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker