Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have we gone too far, or am I just out of step?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No flame intended here--it's a serious sociological question, or something.
I pulled this from a recent post:

For the time being, I am not mounting the Krylions as I broke my tire lever ... and I don't want to go out minus the lever. New levers have been ordered.

If I'm reading this correctly, a broken tire lever is stopping somebody from riding, and he won't go again until new tire levers arrive in the mail.
I order a lot of stuff online, including my two most recent bikes. But since you can walk into any bike shop or supermarket or Walmart in America and walk out with tire levers for three bucks, why would you order them online, pay six or seven dollars in shipping and wait a week? Have the computers really taken over?
Old 03-31-11, 08:28 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is a island with no bike shop.
Old 03-31-11, 08:29 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As a kid I used a couple of screw drivers - although very carefully.
Old 03-31-11, 08:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Or mount a set of Continental Gator hard shell tires and forget about flats.

My LBS just gave me a couple of levers but they've gotten no use since I got sick of flats and installed the Contis.
Old 03-31-11, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think we've all done that when we were kids. Maybe this guy lives in a hermetically sealed box with a mail slot ?
Old 03-31-11, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Supermarket? But I do agree that you have to be in a pretty remote area to have to order tire levers.

One of the guys we ride with can do the whole change a flat thing with no levers. I always amazes me because I have tried this and no way. There is a vid out there on Utube where the guy shows you how to do it sans levers.
Old 03-31-11, 09:16 PM
"Chooch"

Bikes: Late 1990s Ciocc Titan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride sew-ups (a.k.a. "tubulars"). No tire levers required.

Edit: No flats in a year, and I ride some less-than-ideal roads!

Last edited by ciocc_cat; 03-31-11 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-31-11, 09:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TomD77
Or mount a set of Continental Gator hard shell tires and forget about flats.

My LBS just gave me a couple of levers but they've gotten no use since I got sick of flats and installed the Contis.
I have the gators and had two flats this month.
Old 03-31-11, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
No flame intended here--it's a serious sociological question, or something.
I pulled this from a recent post:

For the time being, I am not mounting the Krylions as I broke my tire lever ... and I don't want to go out minus the lever. New levers have been ordered.

If I'm reading this correctly, a broken tire lever is stopping somebody from riding, and he won't go again until new tire levers arrive in the mail.
I order a lot of stuff online, including my two most recent bikes. But since you can walk into any bike shop or supermarket or Walmart in America and walk out with tire levers for three bucks, why would you order them online, pay six or seven dollars in shipping and wait a week? Have the computers really taken over?
Quoted guy will wait for the mail, you'd shop local, TomD77 never has flats, DnvrFox may revert to screwdrivers, and I'd pull some spare steel tire levers out of a toolbox. Everything is just fine.
Old 03-31-11, 09:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To be fair, as I recall ... the gentleman who was waiting for the tire levers had just installed a new set of tires and had done so with a degree of difficulty. I got the impression that he was a bit frustrated and maybe kinda looking for a bit of a recovery or break from any possibility of changing another tire for a spell.

I suspect that it can be very confusing for a novice cyclist to learn from many of the threads I've read in these Forums. There can tend to be a lot of experts who know the only correct method of servicing any and every mechanical system on a bike and some of those folks can be very convincing. Brands of parts, tools and installation methods can easily become interperated as the best or only way to accomplish a task.

Now I have garnered a lot of mechanical knowledge from this Forum as there really are some mechanically gifted folks here, but I came into this with years of personal (not professional) wrenching under my belt so I've been able to seperate the wheat from the chaff. As a novice I believe I would be quite confused and, if trusting enough, I can see me ordering specific brands of locally unavailable tools because some on-line expert suggested it.

I'm not saying that is what the 'gent experienced. I'm just offering up a point a view.
Old 03-31-11, 09:42 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I still do when I'm at home and don't want to dig around in my saddle bag. You just need to be alert and careful.

Old 03-31-11, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Too funny ... I used the handle of a open end wrench when I was a kid ...
Old 03-31-11, 10:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And some people just have "magic hands".. like the little guy who's 4'10", weighs 100 lbs soaking wet and can heave a large bag of cement around like a small bag of potatos.
Old 03-31-11, 11:40 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ciocc_cat
Ride sew-ups (a.k.a. "tubulars"). No tire levers required.

Edit: No flats in a year, and I ride some less-than-ideal roads!
Good point, you don't need tire levers if you get a flat. You just need another tire, clue a rubber glove and time to let the glue dry before you take any hard sharp turns.

I got the following instructions with my tubular clinchers for my 7801s.

Step 1
Place the bicycle rim on the floor in front of you with the hole for the valve stem in the 12 o'clock position. Use your feet and knees to keep the rim upright.

Step 2
Lean over the rim and put the valve stem of the new tire into the hole. Stretch the tire onto the rim in the same manner as before. Remember, if you can't generate enough force to roll the final section of the tire onto the rim, straighten up, press the wheel against your stomach and roll the remainder over the rim with your thumbs. Remove any excess glue that settles on the rim.

Step 3
Align the tire. Push, pull and adjust until the amount of base tape visible at the rim's edge is uniform.

Step 4
Pump the tire to 100 psi. Check the alignment by spinning the wheel. If the tire wobbles, deflate it and eliminate the wobble by pressing on the tire with your thumbs in the direction opposite the wobble.

Step 5
Inflate tire to at least 120 psi and allow glue to set overnight.
Old 04-01-11, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Even I am not that obsessed with ordering bicycle stuff on the internet.... well, I did order a triple of Schwalbe levers once, but I had several other sets in the tool box to keep me going. And I would have used anything handy, including allen keys and screwdrivers if necessary.

I've broken or bent right out of shape a few levers, mainly narrow ones. There are some that look the goods, but the plastic is way too soft to get a really tight bead over the rim. I now have a triple of steel levers in the tool box for just such occasions. They were bought at an LBS.

I used to have a triple of what were called Milk Levers... they were made from recycled plastic milk cartons. Until I bought them, I had used only narrow levers, even up to recently. I have found the broader ones, in the Milk and Schwalbe style, are much more useful. So the steel levers are really in the box just as a final option.

Having said all that, each to his or her own. We live in parts of the world where there is freedom to do such things if we so desire and can afford it both in terms of money and time.

Last edited by Rowan; 04-01-11 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-01-11, 12:52 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I can understand the guy's position.

I don't have a cell phone, or anyone I could call for help if I had one. As a result, I'm obsessive about having tools and flat changing stuff with me on every ride, no matter where or how short. If I can't fix a flat, I'm walking home. (There was a time when I wouldn't venture more than a mile or two from a bus line for the same reason.)

This, despite having puncture-resistant tires on all the bikes.
Old 04-01-11, 05:19 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I'd pull some spare steel tire levers out of a toolbox.
Every time I buy a set of tire levers I take one of the three and toss it in a drawer, then put two levers in my saddlebag. Over the years my drawer has accumulated two or three complete (sic) sets of new levers magically! For free!
Old 04-01-11, 05:48 AM
Oh! That British Bloke ..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I helped out in a bike shop I'd have said this was impossible, but really, it's just a knack. Getting the tyre off is the most difficult, even then just one lever should do it. BTW: no pump needed either ;-)

Old 04-01-11, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will install adamantium thumbs and become a wolverine hitchhiker. I should pack up my blue ox, The Goat Head Eater, and traverse the country with my adamantium opposable thumbs and just show up randomly to fix the flats of damsels in distress.

Now I have a career plan for my retirement years.
Old 04-01-11, 07:54 AM
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My tire levers are steel. They don't break.
Old 04-01-11, 08:01 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Better watch out if you accidently take them through airport inspection.

I took my old Mafac levers accidently when I was moving. I got through inspection in San Diego and Dallas, but the Little Rock folks flagged me and wouldn't let the tire levers through. At least they did let me send them back home via the UPS and some extraordinary shipping fees.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-01-11, 08:08 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont forget in a pinch you can always use your quick release levers.
Old 04-01-11, 08:32 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Ha! I've snapped a steel lever.
Old 04-01-11, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
How many times have you heard/said; "WOW, look at the price of that, I can get it cheaper on-line."
Old 04-01-11, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
yeah at some point the margin on things between lbs and online just isn't worth it. But I also used to use screwdrivers and threw some levers in with another online purchase because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about (and the local lbs employed a bunch of d-nozzles that I didn't like dealing with).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.