Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who else is planning to start racing?

After reading AJets, AZTallRiders, Hermes and others experiences racing I'm going to jump into doing races as well. I do a lot of riding with a number of the licensed riders in the area anyway plus I'm getting tired of just riding with recreational riders. While they are a great group to spend time with, their riding skills have diminished and are keeping me from being the rider I know I can be.

In fact I think I'll pull my extra large Raleigh steel frame with downtube shifters down from the garage ceiling and use it with it's Mavic 32 spoked wheels to race on. That way if I do wind up crashing I will not have damaged any of my carbon bikes or expensive components.

I've been searching for a another aspect of riding to recharge the juices and I think racing might just be it! Anyone else planning to jump in to the racing scene??
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me. I'm quitting bicycling completely. I'm tired of being the only healthy one around all the time. I'm going to sell all my bikes and buy a bigger car. I hear there are some new kinds of potato chips and sodas that I'd like to try while watching Dancing With the Stars in my recliner.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Not me. I'm quitting bicycling completely. I'm tired of being the only healthy one around all the time. I'm going to sell all my bikes and buy a bigger car. I hear there are some new kinds of potato chips and sodas that I'd like to try while watching Dancing With the Stars in my recliner.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    So what's your goal ? 300 pounds, -150 miles or 150000 elbow tips of the can to the mouth whichever comes first ?
    At any age: Always carry a spare.
    After age 50: Always carry a spare and try to get rid of the one around the middle.
    Km for last year: 2,844.02 km
    Km this year: 172 km

2011 Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    2007 Trek 7100

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think about it from time to time but just can not see why.
    I mean to be good you need to train and training means work and commitment and I am not fond of either.

I was watching a video on Vimeo the other night of some dudes cat4 race. I was thinking I could do that, didn't look too bad.
    Another thing I would have to get used to is riding with people, most my rides are solo.

I think I would need some pretty good incentive to start. (cash!) LOL j/k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that, 15 years was enough.

SP
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really racing then there will always be a greater risk of crashing. I have enough orthopedic problems already. I'm too cautious a rider anyway to race. Even on our rec rides I'm always the slowest in the corners and down the hills. I've never found a good reason to want to lay my bike down. That pretty much excludes me from racing (not to mention I'm friggin slow).
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been saying for decades: I can't keep up with the racers.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Criterium- just about zero chance of doing that.

Short Distance Time Trial- may try it, I'll thoroughly suck, but that never stopped me before.

Long Distance Time Trial- already did it once, will try again. I suck at it, too, but there's less competition, so the suckage is less apparent.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    If you're really racing then there will always be a greater risk of crashing. .
    Good point and I do not want that either.
    riding bike=fun
    crashing bike= no fun,pain,long healing just a bummer all around

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't plan to. I get enough satisfaction from getting more fit and faster. I will never be fast enough to be competitive.

I do get inspiration from those who do race.

jppe
    I think I remember some posts that you had some medical issues. I hope this thread means that you are doing great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I don't plan to. I get enough satisfaction from getting more fit and faster. I will never be fast enough to be competitive.

I do get inspiration from those who do race."

^^^
    This ... about sums up my view. I ride solo pretty much all the time anyway; the only thing remotely resembling 'racing' (and not much at that) that appeals to me is audax (not 'sportives') -- might (might) try my hand at one or two audax rides if I develop the fitness.

Waaaait a minute ... "I'm getting tired of just riding with recreational riders. While they are a great group to spend time with, their riding skills have diminished and are keeping me from being the rider I know I can be" ... ok, now the penny drops ... April 1, right? huh? c'mon!
    Last edited by badger1; 04-01-11 at 12:34 PM.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raced road in the 70's and mountain bikes in the late 80's, early 90's and it was fun! Not that I ever won much, but still, it was fun.

Now I do try to ride double centuries as fast as I can; but that's not really racing. After I quit doing doubles I may enter some age-group road races, but still it will just be for fun. I can't see myself giving it the time and dedication serious racing demands.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Litespeed Catalyst, Burley Bossa Nova tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am. First race for me this is season is tomorrow (Cat 5, south of Nashville, TN). I raced 11 years ago for one season, but it seemed much more casual at the Cat 5 level back then so I am a bit apprehensive. Even if things go badly (short of serious injury), deciding to race has been a good decision for me since it pushed me to lose weight and to get fitter than I've been in a long time. I don't think I would have made these changes without deciding to race. It's also improved my `ride negotiations' with my wife and family, as in, "Ooh, I'm so sorry but I can't do ... or go to ..., I've got to get a ride in since I'm going to race."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gtragitt View Post
    I don't plan to. I get enough satisfaction from getting more fit and faster. I will never be fast enough to be competitive.

I do get inspiration from those who do race.

jppe
    I think I remember some posts that you had some medical issues. I hope this thread means that you are doing great!
    Thanks for asking and yes---I'm 95+% back to normal. Still carrying too much weight and the cardio is not where I'd like it but I'm beginning to see a lot of progress.

And for what it's worth.... my post was another dedicated to April 1. If doing the TT's at Charlotte Motor Speeday can be considered racing then I guess I am racing. Or if sprinting to the county line sign with one of my bud's is considered racing then I guess I am racing. Outside of that I'm very, very content with "touring speeds" for a while.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This old lady isn't going to be racing. I went to a local race a couple weeks ago. They had all age categories and both professional and amateur. I love all the colors:

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photos outwest5

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed it was a joke but I am really glad you are feeling better.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you ever see a post from me that I am taking up racing, it will also be on April 1st, believe me...
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice shots, outwest...
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."