Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does this make us Brookophiles?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-08-11, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts

I received another Brooks in the mail today. Bought on eBay for a good price. A B17 Special with copper-plated rails and copper rivets. It's a bit ratty because the dye is inconsistent across the leather, but it will do a nice job on one of our bikes.

That brings to nine the number of Brooks in the household:

1. The new honey B17 Special.
2. A honey Brooks B17 Ladies (shorter than standard) for Machka's MTB.
3. A honey B17 Standard for my fixed gear.
4. A black Ti Swallow on my carbon roadie.
5. A well worn black B17 Standard on my touring bike (it's so worn that the dye has faded to a grey in some spots).
6. A green Ti B17 on Machka's titanium roadie (this is a gorgeous saddle, complete with copper rivets).
7. A black B17 standard for me on the tandem.
8. A black B17 standard for Machka on the tandem (this was originally on my fixed gear, but it became Machka's after her bike, complete with well broken-in B17 was stolen last Easter).
9. A brand new black B17 that will probably go on Machka's touring bike that I am building up.

The next one will likely be a Ti B17 for my new Ti frame that also will be built soon.

We seem to be in a perpetual state of breaking in saddles at the moment, but we think it's worth it.

We do have a whole lot of other saddles that have come on various bikes over the years but have been dispensed with. The exception is a San Marco SKN that has Ti rails, and leather covering, and is super lightweight. It was bought originally for my carbon bike. I like this saddle, and it will likely go on my new single-speed commuter bike based on an old Giant MTB frame I picked out a rubbish dump. Another option is to put it on my fully fledged MTB.

The new honey Brooks? That will probably go on one of two town bikes I am building, based on 28" wheels on step-through "women's" frames, also acquired from the local rubbish dump.

Hmmmm... that means we need another Brooks for the second town bike. Hmmm, where's that eBay b(r)ookmark?

Old 04-08-11, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say it means you have a leather fetish.
Old 04-08-11, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12161 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,088 Posts
The Ti frames on Brooks have a rep for not lasting.
My wife uses the Finesse, but she weighs 110...
Maybe Machka on the tandem?
Old 04-08-11, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
So do you buy your Profide in shop sized containers yet?
Old 04-08-11, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
I'd say it means you have a leather fetish.
Ahhh... the smell of leather in the morning... and the evening...

Originally Posted by late
The Ti frames on Brooks have a rep for not lasting.
My wife uses the Finesse, but she weighs 110...
Maybe Machka on the tandem?
I haven't come across any discussion on the durability of the Ti rails, but we will continue to monitor the situation. One thing, though, the Swallow is the noisiest saddle I've come across. It makes a creaking noise. I am not sure if it is the frame or the leather. I suppose I should try lubing it. But then the noise is sort of comforting out there in the middle of the night; it let's me know I am still awake and actually pedalling.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Not quite, but we are thinking of ordering one!! Actually, we rarely use Proofide, with maybe a dab every six months to a year.

By the way, we've found Proofide doesn't like excessive temperatures, especially those inside in a toolbox inside a motor vehicle in the hot sun. It separates the oil from the bees wax, and in this case, the oil leaked out of the tin, leaving the white bees wax as a solid lump in the tin. It was a reasonably new tin, but fortunately, Machka had another one stashed away in her stuff from Canada.

Now... do you want me to talk about my liking for Time Atac pedals...
Old 04-08-11, 02:04 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Now... do you want me to talk about my liking for Time Atac pedals...
Yes, please. What do you think of Time ATAC pedals (like/dislike)?

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-08-11, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Do they do that? Where is it available?
https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...onspiracy.html

Marc
Old 04-08-11, 09:01 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I received another Brooks in the mail today. Bought on eBay for a good price. A B17 Special with copper-plated rails and copper rivets. It's a bit ratty because the dye is inconsistent across the leather, but it will do a nice job on one of our bikes.

That brings to nine the number of Brooks in the household:

1. The new honey B17 Special.
2. A honey Brooks B17 Ladies (shorter than standard) for Machka's MTB.
3. A honey B17 Standard for my fixed gear.
4. A black Ti Swallow on my carbon roadie.
5. A well worn black B17 Standard on my touring bike (it's so worn that the dye has faded to a grey in some spots).
6. A green Ti B17 on Machka's titanium roadie (this is a gorgeous saddle, complete with copper rivets).
7. A black B17 standard for me on the tandem.
8. A black B17 standard for Machka on the tandem (this was originally on my fixed gear, but it became Machka's after her bike, complete with well broken-in B17 was stolen last Easter).
9. A brand new black B17 that will probably go on Machka's touring bike that I am building up.

The next one will likely be a Ti B17 for my new Ti frame that also will be built soon.

We seem to be in a perpetual state of breaking in saddles at the moment, but we think it's worth it.

We do have a whole lot of other saddles that have come on various bikes over the years but have been dispensed with. The exception is a San Marco SKN that has Ti rails, and leather covering, and is super lightweight. It was bought originally for my carbon bike. I like this saddle, and it will likely go on my new single-speed commuter bike based on an old Giant MTB frame I picked out a rubbish dump. Another option is to put it on my fully fledged MTB.

The new honey Brooks? That will probably go on one of two town bikes I am building, based on 28" wheels on step-through "women's" frames, also acquired from the local rubbish dump.

Hmmmm... that means we need another Brooks for the second town bike. Hmmm, where's that eBay b(r)ookmark?

Yes, and presenting with B17ism. It can be treated medically.

I tend toward Selle AnAtomicophilia.
Old 04-09-11, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Yes, please. What do you think of Time ATAC pedals (like/dislike)?

Rick / OCRR
1. Simplilcity. There are two springs to trap the cleat. That's it. No other mechanism to wear or work loose as has happened with several of Machka's genuine and knock-off Shimano pedals.

2. There is an inbult lateral float in the cleats (see below for a further explanation).

3. The mechanism is not overly sensitve to mud. I've still been able to clip in with gobs of mud on my soles.

4. They are well built in terms of bearings. I've never stripped down the bearings on any I have, and some have done tens of thousands of kilometres.

5. The exit tension is adjustable by swapping the cleats over from left to right and right to left. This is more so for the Aliums rather than the XS models which have a small spring tension screw, but the cleats are interchangeable between the range anyway.

Dislikes (but obviously I can live with them):

1. The cleats are brass, and do wear both where they slot in between the springs and from walking on them if they protrude beyond the sole of the shoe. Replacement cleats range between $20 and $30, and they usually last well over a year so, for me, it's no biggie.

2. The tops of the springs also can wear down, although this has happened seriously to only one pair.

3. The springs can catch on the sole around the cleat opening, and usually this has to be pared aware.

I bought my original Alium pair when I transitioned from platforms-and-straps to clipless. I still have those originals, a red pair, now on my touring bike. They were swapped as needed between bikes in the early days.

I opted for them after consulting with some cycling friends, and at that time, Shimano did not make an SPD pedal for MTBs that had float. And float was what I was after, and the Atacs provided it.

Then I started to have problems problems with hotfoot and further issues on the top side of my right ankle. I went to a platform pair of Atacs, and they are the ones I wore the tops of the spring out on. The physical issues were not to do with the pedals, but with shoes.

From then, I bought another two pairs of Aliums in black, and now I have three pairs of the "up-market" Atac XS pedals. I like the XS pedals because they look good on roadbikes. They also have an adjustment screw for spring tension.

The XS Carbons are a little over the top in price for me, and unless I can pick up cheap pairs on eBay, I won't bother -- the weight saving is not significant.

Soooo... I have three pairs of Aliums, and three pairs of XSs.

Last edited by Rowan; 04-09-11 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-09-11, 06:05 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You love'em or hate'em.
Old 04-09-11, 05:12 PM

There really aren't absolutes in cycling. I am always willing to give something a go if I can be convinced it is better for the purpose than what I already use. sometimes I will try something just to prove to myself that I am either wrong or right.

I've used and will use platform pedals on my commuters, and I have a Terry Fly that came on the tandem what wll go on something (either the commuter or the MTB). And as I said, I have the Selle San Marco SKN that I quite like.