Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow-up question bout clipless, what shoes for long rides?

For all you fellow (so far) clip types, what shoes do you wear for long 50 to 100 mile rides since most athletic walking and running shoes are made to flex? Planning on some long rides this summer and been thinking I would have to go clipless to get a good stiff riding shoe for better power for the long haul. Anyone wearing clipless shoes without the clips? Just a thought. I too love the clips for everyday riding and commuting. I can wear whatever I want. I did buy a pair of Power Straps to protec my dress shoes but have not tried them yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure can. Buy some good mtn. bike shoes. clipless road shoes wont work, mtn. types shoes will do just fine.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTB shoes work for me, even with the cleats. No way when it comes to my road shoes.

I've heard of one guy who did the Waterfront Trail Adventure http://www.waterfronttrail.org/gwta_web/index.htm
    which is about 450 miles on a CF road bike. He tied on a cheap pair of sandals/thongs on to a big seatbag along with the usual (lightweight) stuff that went into the bag.

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have toe clips. On long rides I wear some stiff sole, Merrill cross-training shoes, like these
    http://www.rei.com/product/748515

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
    I have toe clips. On long rides I wear some stiff sole, Merrill cross-training shoes, like these
    http://www.rei.com/product/748515
    Thanks for all replies. MTB type shoes and this product is what suggestions I'm looking for. Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right? I'm not going to race a 100 hundred miles but would like to finish a 100 mile ride.
    What are you (clipped folks) actually wearing?

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony N. View Post
    Thanks for all replies. MTB type shoes and this product is what suggestions I'm looking for. Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right? I'm not going to race a 100 hundred miles but would like to finish a 100 mile ride.
    I've never done a century in the cross trainers (or anything else for that matter ), but I have ridden a good number of 75-80 milers with them, as well as with a bunch of back to back 55-65 milers.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true to a degree, but if you want to keep using clips or just plain platform pedals, you can still buy the MTB shoes for their stiff soles, and leave on the sole patch covering the cleat opening. There is no requirement to fit cleats just because you buy MTB shoes. This is unlike road shoes that have slick soles and usually must have cleats to function properly.

If it's any help, I have three different brands of MTB shoes -- Shimano, Specialized and Diadora. I like the Diadoras because they fit me well, and are brown instead of plain, boring grey that seemed to dominate the market when I bought them.

All do their job as required. The important thing is to get a fit that's right for you.

When I first started out cycling, I wore adidas tennis shoes, and rode a 3,500km tour with them and clipped platform pedals. I didn't really get into clipless pedals until about three years later. But the softer soles of the tennis shoes became really obvious once I made the change.

A friend was riding with trainers and had problems with flex. He didn't want to go the clipless route, so we persauded him to invest in a pair of hiking shoes with the thicker, stiffer sole. The one thing we found is that they wouldn't push far enough into the clips, and he pedalled in front of the ball of the foot. I made up some spacers to go between the clips and the pedal from some aluminium flatbar, and he was a happy pedaller from there on.

Just watch also the aggressiveness of either the sole of the shoe and the pedals as pulling out of clips can become a significant issue.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Specialized Tahoe's (MTB Shoe). Comfortable on and off the bike, and easy to walk on pavement even with a SPD or eggbeater style clip attached. I cringe when I watch others walk (waddle?) with their super-still soled road shoes and those huge clips.

These have worked great for me through several centuries and a double century:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9309&eid=4927

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right?
    Not for me. That was the reason I first went to a cycling shoe, back in my cleats/clips/straps days. But I decided to go clipless for two other reasons: a ) to get a more positive connection to the pedals so I could pedal in circles more effectively (and pull up more securely when climbing out of the saddle), and b ) to get rid of the excrutiating pain the straps caused where they put pressure on the edges of my feet - where I've always been prone to the occasional plantars wart.

Also, my biggest problem with athletic shoes on bikes is the wide platform soles they all seem to have. In order to keep them from interfering with the crank arm, I have to hang over the outside edge of the pedal, and pivot my heels outboard. I find that very unnerving. I also worry a lot about shoelaces getting caught in the chainring.
    Last edited by CraigB; 04-11-11 at 03:31 PM.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been wearing Shimano M076 shoes for a while now on my road bike. I get the support I need, but they are much easier to walk on at rest stops, coffee stops, etc. They have been fine for the 50-60 mile club rides, centuries, and double centuries.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider riding sandals (they have recessed clips). Very cool - I wear them all-year-round, even in Colorado. Shimano and others sell them. I've worn them for 10 years, never a problem - same sandals, still look new and are still stiff.

Mine are the older model with two straps intead of three.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Mine are the older model with two straps intead of three.
    If I've read and looked at recent listings for on-line shops lately, I think Shimano have reverted back to the two-strap design.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    If I've read and looked at recent listings for on-line shops lately, I think Shimano have reverted back to the two-strap design.
    Great - I would believe they are a bit cooler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't agree with general athletic shoes or MT shoes. My experience is the shoe needs to be simple, light, stiff and breath. I've done many 8+ hr rides with old skool tennis shoes, the type with a very thin and stiff sole (like Adidas Millennium Nastases) . And driving shoes; like the Adidas / Goodyear shoe. Both are very comfortable to walk in, hang in, and good in the traps or power bands. In summer, you need something that is perforated or the shoes simply get too hot. Adidas makes a simple leather tennis shoe that has the perforation-holes, but its hard to find. I avoid anything with a built up sole-heal which is the problem with athletic shoes.

Chrome has new shoes that can go either way, I might try those next. http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes.html

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The Shimano sandals I bought last year have two straps.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Still have a few left!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikes are mostly clipless, but a few are set up with toe clips. I have appropriate shoes for each type but I generally wear a pair of Carnac Ventoux (sp?), which have a built up rubber sole around the clip mounts. These work equally well with clipless & toe clips plus have the added benefit of being relatively comfortable to walk in when off the bike.

I once faced a walk of a couple miles in some addidas road clip shoes & ended up removing them & trashing my socks, as standard clipless shoes are hopeless for walking any distance. I will try to post a pic of the Carnac shoes. Don
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoor football (soccer) shoes fit good in the clips and have a flat and quite stiff sole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS suggested the Specialized Elite Touring when I asked about a clipless-compatible shoe with a walking sole. Very nice shoe; it takes SPD-type two-bolt cleats, and the soles are stiff enough for good power transmission, but not so stiff you can't walk in them.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the advent of clipless, bike shoes were made to work with clips. I got my first bike shoes in '83. They were Adidas. Stiff smooth sole with a cleat that was made to fit over the ridge on standard pedals. Cinch the strap up tight and almost as good as clipless. Don't know if you could still find something similar.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized road shoes, Carbon Comp, fit my feet. I use a Look(alike) pedal, which has the large cleat.

At dismount, the cleat covers come out and go over the cleat.

Uhm, "duh."

I can see compromise for short rides, but a 100-200+ mile day, compromise for w a l k i n g?

No, not, never.

... except cleat cover, which protect the cleat and allows for safe walking.
    Last edited by Spiduhman; 05-04-11 at 09:57 PM. Reason: becuase, whack u think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "It beats the alternative." "Every day is a good day." - PoppaDaddy

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the impression the OP's questioned stemed from his preference for clips for everyday riding & commuting and not wanting to change pedals. This may be the solution (will require new shoes)
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen people do double centuries with toe-clips while bare-foot, so it is possible to go minimalist. Back in the days when toe-clips were the norm, it was not unusual to ride a hundred miles or so without the cleat on a new shoe. The pedal edge made a nice line to help with cleat alignment. However, the soles were often softer than the hard plastic that today's cycling shoes are made of, so the shoe didn't slip around much.

It only takes a few moments to change pedals. Get some nice cycling shoes with whatever pedal system is appropriate for your longer rides; foot comfort is important. For shorter or in-town stuff, just change the pedals back to platforms as needed until you succumb to n+1 and have different bikes for different purposes.

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I do centuries in running shoes, clips and straps. Spongy soles allow a little bit of pedal bite.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple