Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-08-11, 08:02 AM   #1
Tony N.

Bikes:
Follow-up question bout clipless, what shoes for long rides?

For all you fellow (so far) clip types, what shoes do you wear for long 50 to 100 mile rides since most athletic walking and running shoes are made to flex? Planning on some long rides this summer and been thinking I would have to go clipless to get a good stiff riding shoe for better power for the long haul. Anyone wearing clipless shoes without the clips? Just a thought. I too love the clips for everyday riding and commuting. I can wear whatever I want. I did buy a pair of Power Straps to protec my dress shoes but have not tried them yet.
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 08:18 AM   #2
mkane77g

Bikes:
Sure can. Buy some good mtn. bike shoes. clipless road shoes wont work, mtn. types shoes will do just fine.
mkane77g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 05:03 PM   #3
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
MTB shoes work for me, even with the cleats. No way when it comes to my road shoes.

I've heard of one guy who did the Waterfront Trail Adventure http://www.waterfronttrail.org/gwta_web/index.htm
which is about 450 miles on a CF road bike. He tied on a cheap pair of sandals/thongs on to a big seatbag along with the usual (lightweight) stuff that went into the bag.
alanknm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 05:56 PM   #4
Recycle

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
I have toe clips. On long rides I wear some stiff sole, Merrill cross-training shoes, like these
http://www.rei.com/product/748515
Recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:39 AM   #5
Tony N.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
I have toe clips. On long rides I wear some stiff sole, Merrill cross-training shoes, like these
http://www.rei.com/product/748515
Thanks for all replies. MTB type shoes and this product is what suggestions I'm looking for. Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right? I'm not going to race a 100 hundred miles but would like to finish a 100 mile ride.
What are you (clipped folks) actually wearing?
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 04:38 PM   #6
Recycle

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N. View Post
Thanks for all replies. MTB type shoes and this product is what suggestions I'm looking for. Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right? I'm not going to race a 100 hundred miles but would like to finish a 100 mile ride.
I've never done a century in the cross trainers (or anything else for that matter ), but I have ridden a good number of 75-80 milers with them, as well as with a bunch of back to back 55-65 milers.
Recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 07:35 PM   #7
Rowan
Has opinion, will express

Bikes:
Quote:
This is true to a degree, but if you want to keep using clips or just plain platform pedals, you can still buy the MTB shoes for their stiff soles, and leave on the sole patch covering the cleat opening. There is no requirement to fit cleats just because you buy MTB shoes. This is unlike road shoes that have slick soles and usually must have cleats to function properly.

If it's any help, I have three different brands of MTB shoes -- Shimano, Specialized and Diadora. I like the Diadoras because they fit me well, and are brown instead of plain, boring grey that seemed to dominate the market when I bought them.

All do their job as required. The important thing is to get a fit that's right for you.

When I first started out cycling, I wore adidas tennis shoes, and rode a 3,500km tour with them and clipped platform pedals. I didn't really get into clipless pedals until about three years later. But the softer soles of the tennis shoes became really obvious once I made the change.

A friend was riding with trainers and had problems with flex. He didn't want to go the clipless route, so we persauded him to invest in a pair of hiking shoes with the thicker, stiffer sole. The one thing we found is that they wouldn't push far enough into the clips, and he pedalled in front of the ball of the foot. I made up some spacers to go between the clips and the pedal from some aluminium flatbar, and he was a happy pedaller from there on.

Just watch also the aggressiveness of either the sole of the shoe and the pedals as pulling out of clips can become a significant issue.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 01:27 PM   #8
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Bikes:
I wear Specialized Tahoe's (MTB Shoe). Comfortable on and off the bike, and easy to walk on pavement even with a SPD or eggbeater style clip attached. I cringe when I watch others walk (waddle?) with their super-still soled road shoes and those huge clips.

These have worked great for me through several centuries and a double century:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=9309&eid=4927
woodway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 02:27 PM   #9
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Just a good stiff shoe that will enhance the efficiency of power to the pedal which is the main reason for clipless, right?
Not for me. That was the reason I first went to a cycling shoe, back in my cleats/clips/straps days. But I decided to go clipless for two other reasons: a ) to get a more positive connection to the pedals so I could pedal in circles more effectively (and pull up more securely when climbing out of the saddle), and b ) to get rid of the excrutiating pain the straps caused where they put pressure on the edges of my feet - where I've always been prone to the occasional plantars wart.

Also, my biggest problem with athletic shoes on bikes is the wide platform soles they all seem to have. In order to keep them from interfering with the crank arm, I have to hang over the outside edge of the pedal, and pivot my heels outboard. I find that very unnerving. I also worry a lot about shoelaces getting caught in the chainring.

Last edited by CraigB; 04-11-11 at 02:31 PM.
CraigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 02:33 PM   #10
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
I have been wearing Shimano M076 shoes for a while now on my road bike. I get the support I need, but they are much easier to walk on at rest stops, coffee stops, etc. They have been fine for the 50-60 mile club rides, centuries, and double centuries.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-11, 03:47 PM   #11
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Consider riding sandals (they have recessed clips). Very cool - I wear them all-year-round, even in Colorado. Shimano and others sell them. I've worn them for 10 years, never a problem - same sandals, still look new and are still stiff.

Mine are the older model with two straps intead of three.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 12:39 AM   #12
Rowan
Has opinion, will express

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

Mine are the older model with two straps intead of three.
If I've read and looked at recent listings for on-line shops lately, I think Shimano have reverted back to the two-strap design.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 06:38 AM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
If I've read and looked at recent listings for on-line shops lately, I think Shimano have reverted back to the two-strap design.
Great - I would believe they are a bit cooler.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 08:14 AM   #14
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes:
Can't agree with general athletic shoes or MT shoes. My experience is the shoe needs to be simple, light, stiff and breath. I've done many 8+ hr rides with old skool tennis shoes, the type with a very thin and stiff sole (like Adidas Millennium Nastases) . And driving shoes; like the Adidas / Goodyear shoe. Both are very comfortable to walk in, hang in, and good in the traps or power bands. In summer, you need something that is perforated or the shoes simply get too hot. Adidas makes a simple leather tennis shoe that has the perforation-holes, but its hard to find. I avoid anything with a built up sole-heal which is the problem with athletic shoes.

Chrome has new shoes that can go either way, I might try those next. http://www.chromebagsstore.com/shoes.html
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 09:24 AM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
The Shimano sandals I bought last year have two straps.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 11:29 AM   #16
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!
My bikes are mostly clipless, but a few are set up with toe clips. I have appropriate shoes for each type but I generally wear a pair of Carnac Ventoux (sp?), which have a built up rubber sole around the clip mounts. These work equally well with clipless & toe clips plus have the added benefit of being relatively comfortable to walk in when off the bike.

I once faced a walk of a couple miles in some addidas road clip shoes & ended up removing them & trashing my socks, as standard clipless shoes are hopeless for walking any distance. I will try to post a pic of the Carnac shoes. Don
ollo_ollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 12:33 PM   #17
John Lockland

Bikes:
Indoor football (soccer) shoes fit good in the clips and have a flat and quite stiff sole.
John Lockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 07:25 PM   #18
ItsJustAHill

Bikes:
My LBS suggested the Specialized Elite Touring when I asked about a clipless-compatible shoe with a walking sole. Very nice shoe; it takes SPD-type two-bolt cleats, and the soles are stiff enough for good power transmission, but not so stiff you can't walk in them.
ItsJustAHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 08:29 PM   #19
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
Before the advent of clipless, bike shoes were made to work with clips. I got my first bike shoes in '83. They were Adidas. Stiff smooth sole with a cleat that was made to fit over the ridge on standard pedals. Cinch the strap up tight and almost as good as clipless. Don't know if you could still find something similar.
chinarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 08:55 PM   #20
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10
Specialized road shoes, Carbon Comp, fit my feet. I use a Look(alike) pedal, which has the large cleat.

At dismount, the cleat covers come out and go over the cleat.

Uhm, "duh."

I can see compromise for short rides, but a 100-200+ mile day, compromise for w a l k i n g?

No, not, never.

... except cleat cover, which protect the cleat and allows for safe walking.

Last edited by Spiduhman; 05-04-11 at 08:57 PM. Reason: becuase, whack u think?
Spiduhman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 09:55 PM   #21
chinarider
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
I got the impression the OP's questioned stemed from his preference for clips for everyday riding & commuting and not wanting to change pedals. This may be the solution (will require new shoes)
chinarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:17 PM   #22
B. Carfree

Bikes:
I have seen people do double centuries with toe-clips while bare-foot, so it is possible to go minimalist. Back in the days when toe-clips were the norm, it was not unusual to ride a hundred miles or so without the cleat on a new shoe. The pedal edge made a nice line to help with cleat alignment. However, the soles were often softer than the hard plastic that today's cycling shoes are made of, so the shoe didn't slip around much.

It only takes a few moments to change pedals. Get some nice cycling shoes with whatever pedal system is appropriate for your longer rides; foot comfort is important. For shorter or in-town stuff, just change the pedals back to platforms as needed until you succumb to n+1 and have different bikes for different purposes.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-11, 10:36 PM   #23
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: My War
I do centuries in running shoes, clips and straps. Spongy soles allow a little bit of pedal bite.
LesterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote