Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-11, 09:05 AM   #1
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Will I make it?

I'm signed up for a 100+ (107 miles to be exact, plus probably another 8 junk miles to the start and back) ride in 5 weeks. Been training since Feb, on the road or trainer depending on the weather. I've been riding 100+ miles a week for the last 4 weeks (some of them trainer rides), with my longest road ride being 63 miles. Think I'll be fit enough for this ride. There's a 10 hour time limit and I'll probably need all 10!
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:19 AM   #2
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You will have "made it" as soon as you start the ride. After that, just relax enjoy yourself. Take it very easy at the beginning. Avoid the temptation to ride with rabbit groups. Take advantage of stops. Drink steadily and eat a bit.

Ride as if the question is "Was it fun?" rather than "How many miles did I do?" With that attitude you may well finish the ride.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:47 AM   #3
az_cyclist
Senior Member
 
az_cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
Posts: 1,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is your average speed for the metric? If you could get in an 80 miler, that would be a good test.
az_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:49 AM   #4
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always operated with the formula - If I can do 75 miles with comfort in the same conditions (weather and terrain), I can do the 100 miler too. At 63 miles, you are real close, and I think az-cyclist makes a good point. An 80 miler would be a good test.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 10:39 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
You can do it. Just don't overdo it.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 10:57 AM   #6
Pat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Bikes: litespeed, cannondale
Posts: 2,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, you managed a metric. You should be able to do the century assuming you are faster than a snail. The main thing with long distances is to keep your pace to a level that you can sustain.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 11:14 AM   #7
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Distance should be fine, the time may be an issue, depends on how you work things.

One thing I've learned in randonneuring is that the time you spend stopped can be deceptive, a few minutes here and a few minutes there and all the sudden 2 hours of your 10 hours is spent diddling around doing nothing. So get off and on the bike at stops in a hurry, be repacking or refilling water bottles while you chew your food, etc.

This also assumes you're not riding flat land for workouts and then doing a super-hilly century.

On a lot of rides that have a time limit like that, they can't actually make you quit riding; they may close down rest stops that you haven't come to yet or something, but they aren't going to tackle you to get you off the road.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 11:47 AM   #8
doctor j
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Central Louisiana
Bikes:
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with the 75 to 80 mile contingent. If you can do that, you can do 100.

Pace yourself and pay attention to fuel and fluids.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 11:56 AM   #9
kr32
Senior Member
 
kr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldorf Md.
Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long did it take you to do the 63? And how did you feel?

I think you can do it and will.
Drink before you are thirsty,eat before you are hungry, take it easy but don't fool around either. Be steady and it should be fine.
Best wishes to you on your first 100 miler.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 12:30 PM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm not clear as to whether the OP is saying his longest road ride ever is 63 miles or if that's the longest so far this year. Have you done centuries before or will this be your first? Either way, I still say you can do it with the kind of riding you have been doing. Doing a 75-80 mile ride between now and the event would be ideal, but not necessary. If you have done a century before, you have a better idea of how to dole out your efforts to ensure that you won't bonk before the end. If not, you'll need to be more careful and a longer ride before the event becomes more advisable, but still not absolutely necessary. Long rides are all about using stored energy wisely.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 01:31 PM   #11
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
How long did it take you to do the 63? And how did you feel?

I think you can do it and will.
Drink before you are thirsty,eat before you are hungry, take it easy but don't fool around either. Be steady and it should be fine.
Best wishes to you on your first 100 miler.
Well the 63, was actually 47, with 16 junk miles to and from the group ride. The 47 miles took 4:26, with 57 minutes spent at 2 rest breaks. My total time for the metric including my junk miles came to 5:47. This ride was my longest this year. The longest I ever did was 72 miles, and that was 2 years ago. I actually felt pretty good after the ride, though I conked out after dinner!

Last edited by dendawg; 04-08-11 at 01:37 PM.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 01:35 PM   #12
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I'm not clear as to whether the OP is saying his longest road ride ever is 63 miles or if that's the longest so far this year. Have you done centuries before or will this be your first? Either way, I still say you can do it with the kind of riding you have been doing. Doing a 75-80 mile ride between now and the event would be ideal, but not necessary. If you have done a century before, you have a better idea of how to dole out your efforts to ensure that you won't bonk before the end. If not, you'll need to be more careful and a longer ride before the event becomes more advisable, but still not absolutely necessary. Long rides are all about using stored energy wisely.
This will be my first century and the 63 miles is my longest this year. My longest ever was 72 miles 2 years ago. I hope to do an 80 miler this week. I really need to work on the hills as there is around 5-6k of climbing on the ride. Last weeks ride had 1.6k of climbing on the 47 mile section I did with the group. I have a feeling this weeks ride might double that.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 01:40 PM   #13
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
Distance should be fine, the time may be an issue, depends on how you work things.


This also assumes you're not riding flat land for workouts and then doing a super-hilly century.

.
I've been trying to keep hills in the mix though I sometimes do a longish flat recovery ride after a hard day out.
Today I did some easy laps in a local park, but added a bunch of hill repeats on the one short steep hill there. The ride has quite a bit of climbing
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:01 PM   #14
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Posts: 5,954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Based on all of the above, dendawg,

I'm fairly certain you will make it! Of course, anything can happen, but you seem to have a very intelligent approach to the ride, so if I were you I would be feeling quite confident.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:25 PM   #15
Phil85207
Century bound
 
Phil85207's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mesa Arizona
Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You have some good advice here, but nothing said about hydration or nutrition. What have you done in that regard? You won't be taking long rest stops to chow down with a pizza. Nutrition and hydration on the run is not difficult and saves a lot of time but needs to be practiced a little. Staying nourished and hydrated is a very important factor. For instance, if you always drank water in your training rides and for the event switched to Gatorade, you may well get a sick stomach and not be able to complete it. Gels are a good source of nutrition and can easily be carried (some tuck them under the shorts just above the knee and are easy to get to) and consumed while ridding. Good luck
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 02:46 PM   #16
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
You have some good advice here, but nothing said about hydration or nutrition. What have you done in that regard? You won't be taking long rest stops to chow down with a pizza. Nutrition and hydration on the run is not difficult and saves a lot of time but needs to be practiced a little. Staying nourished and hydrated is a very important factor. For instance, if you always drank water in your training rides and for the event switched to Gatorade, you may well get a sick stomach and not be able to complete it. Gels are a good source of nutrition and can easily be carried (some tuck them under the shorts just above the knee and are easy to get to) and consumed while ridding. Good luck
I've been riding with 2 bottles of a protein drink mix (Hammer Perpetuem) and for last weeks long ride I added a hydration pack with 1.5 liters of water. I returned with all almost empty. I also carry a squeeze bottle of gel, which hasn't been working so well in the cold weather we've been having but should get better as things warm up. :-)
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 04:17 PM   #17
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are already ready based on what I have read here - that is unless it is a century with a lot of climbing.
When I start doing centuries I an usually doing 100 miles/wk and am comfortable with a metric. I think you are at the right spot now.

My first century this year is in the first week in June and I have only been on the road twice, am I worried - not in the least. Although my last 12 mile ride felt awful, I have done this enough to know that within a month I'll be able to do a metric (although with some pain) and although that first century of the season will be slow and I will be spent, it can be done at about a 15 mph average.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 06:16 PM   #18
scroca 
commuter and barbarian
 
scroca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Potomac, MT, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
Well the 63, was actually 47, with 16 junk miles to and from the group ride. The 47 miles took 4:26, with 57 minutes spent at 2 rest breaks. My total time for the metric including my junk miles came to 5:47. This ride was my longest this year. The longest I ever did was 72 miles, and that was 2 years ago. I actually felt pretty good after the ride, though I conked out after dinner!
I don't get what you mean by junk miles. If you rode 8 miles to the group, then 47 miles with the group, then 8 miles back home, that sounds like 63 miles to me.

Regardless, it sounds like with 5 weeks to go you should be able to bump that up around 75-80 miles before your century and still have time for an easy week before the century.

I think you'll do it.
__________________
2015 Seven Cycles Expat SL
2011 Felt Q620
2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
2010 Surly LHT
1992 Trek 1200
1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear
scroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 06:54 PM   #19
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have fun. A reminder. Do not change anything on your bike in the last couple of weeks before the century, or plan on eating/drinking or doing anything else new. Also check out everything on your bike to be sure it is tight, etc.

Today on my ride, my seat started moving back and forth - caught me off guard. It appears that the seat post had been slipping down and I was not aware of it, and when it got to where it had less diameter, it was simply loose. I fixed it, but it cost me some time.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:22 PM   #20
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroca View Post
I don't get what you mean by junk miles. If you rode 8 miles to the group, then 47 miles with the group, then 8 miles back home, that sounds like 63 miles to me.

Regardless, it sounds like with 5 weeks to go you should be able to bump that up around 75-80 miles before your century and still have time for an easy week before the century.

I think you'll do it.
I consider the junk miles the easy riding back and forth to the ride start. I usually don't ride them at the same intensity, if any intensity at all. Also there tends to be some waiting time (last week 25 minutes) before the group ride starts, but yes they are still miles ridden.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:31 PM   #21
dendawg
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Have fun. A reminder. Do not change anything on your bike in the last couple of weeks before the century, or plan on eating/drinking or doing anything else new. Also check out everything on your bike to be sure it is tight, etc.

.
The bike had a full tune up 2 weeks ago, new chain, cables and brake pads. In fact I was amazed at how smooth it was shifting. Probably will just need some chain lube. Oh, I will be changing my shoes from my winter ones to my summer ones, and that usually requires a small seat adjustment as the winter shoes have thicker soles. I rode the lighter shoes today for the first time and noticed a bit of seat discomfort.
dendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 06:16 AM   #22
cyclinfool
gone ride'n
 
cyclinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Posts: 4,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
Today on my ride, my seat started moving back and forth - caught me off guard. It appears that the seat post had been slipping down and I was not aware of it, and when it got to where it had less diameter, it was simply loose. I fixed it, but it cost me some time.
Dnvr,
We are so proud of you - you took a wrench to your bike and it was still servicable afterwards, this is indeed a step forward.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 06:32 AM   #23
kr32
Senior Member
 
kr32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldorf Md.
Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Dnvr,
We are so proud of you - you took a wrench to your bike and it was still servicable afterwards, this is indeed a step forward.
I bet his car hasn't been worked on, those bikes just keep falling apart, I just don't get it either.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 06:38 AM   #24
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Dnvr,
We are so proud of you - you took a wrench to your bike and it was still servicable afterwards, this is indeed a step forward.
Well, not exactly. The first "fix" didn't work, and it got loose and swiveled again. I had to stop and refix it to get home. I tried to call the mobile bicycle AAA, but they were out riding.

And, my cars are in great shape, thanks. But, truly, I haven't had any "mechanical" work done on the cars in a long time, besides regular preventive maintenance. OF course, my 2000 Neon has a grand total of 60,000 miles, and my Town and COuntry about 45,000 miles. But my Lemond has about 30,000 and I have had it in the shop a number of times for a variety of repairs.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 09:15 AM   #25
TromboneAl
Senior Member
 
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Far, Far Northern California
Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro
Posts: 2,875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, DenDawg, we are in a similar situation. I've got a century coming up on May 1. Here's my training schedule:



I've compared the hilliness of my rides with that of the century:



And I think I'm going to be ready enough that I'll enjoy it. I did a hilly 71 miler, and felt good. HOWEVER, I did a 56 mile ride recently in which my butt got very sore, and I don't think I could have ridden another 44 miles. But I think I'll have that fixed (with some careful adjustments and new shorts) by century time.

I think those junk miles count. Sometimes riding slowly can be more tiring that riding fast (more pressure on saddle, for example).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goals2.jpg (70.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Hills.jpg (26.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by TromboneAl; 04-09-11 at 09:19 AM.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 AM.