Thread: Riding Blind

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding Blind

The early spring brings those base building rides. Usually I record every ride, take the GPS and download the data. Watch the speed and distance improve.

This season all of my rides so far (3) have been blind. I actually have enjoyed it - I don't feel like I have to beat the clock. I suspect though that this will only last a few more weeks until I feel like I have reasonable strength and endurance and an output worth measuring. Today was 30 miles, longest ride of the season so far. No significant pain - felt really good and the pace felt good as well. Have no idea what my average was but I did not take all morning to finish.

Now it's time to go and clean up all the bikes, they have not had a bath since last fall and they are all filthy. So glad spring has finally sprung!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is fun to ride without instruments, just for the joy of it.

Brad

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode today and did not "look" at the computer until I got home. I thought I went about 60 and only did 48. The distance I thought was based on the route I took, which changed throughout the ride. I really had no plan when I left.
    I like to keep track of all my rides as well but for what reason I have no idea, I never go back and look at them.(well maybe once in awhile)

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=cyclinfool;12481602]This season all of my rides so far (3) have been blind. I actually have enjoyed
    /QUOTE]

Read the subject and thought. Bad idea riding blind. Rubbing up against the curb is not the best way to follow the road. ;-)

Though running sans instruments is liberating. I still like to know how far, fast, etc.
    Georgia state law stating that bicyclists “May Use Full Lane” when lane widths are not wide enough for motorists to safely pass cyclists and stay completely within the travel lane. (now all I have to do is convince GA drivers to read the law).

Cannondale Synapse 6.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my first tandem, which really wasn't a very good bike, to a girl who actually did that. She was about 15 years old and totally blind from birth. Her family lived at the end of a cul-de-sac and she would ride a bicycle around in circles for hours. The tandem made it possible for dad to take her on longer rides.

I find that I ride much farther and faster when I estimate than when I rely on a bike computer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a 8 hour MTB last weekend and there was a guy racing blind. He had a few guides yelling left, right, straight on. Awesome to watch ppl on come their limitations

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This season I bought my first computer with cadence. So, I've been concentrating on cadence and not even looking at time or average speed. Just trying to overcome my natural tendency to push big gears. I'm liking it a lot.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    This season I bought my first computer with cadence. So, I've been concentrating on cadence and not even looking at time or average speed. Just trying to overcome my natural tendency to push big gears. I'm liking it a lot.

souplesse not mashing

gets me around the world

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    2010 Giant Defy 1, 2005 Specialized Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I don't have numbers for my ride, it didn't happen
    Terry

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a computer but don't live my life by it. I like knowing when i'm close to my halfway/turnaround point and when I'm getting close to finish how many miles I have left. it helps me pace myself. I only log my stats as a matter of course and because there might be some usefulness in keeping the data for future comparison
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode last night, and thinking of this thread, didn't reset my 'puter. Got home, and didn't miss the extra information at all. Had a pretty good ride too. My wife on the other hand, had reset her bike computer, and gave a rolling account of the distance, and had her cardio-trainer app going on her phone, and kept me informed about how that was going. As well as a comparison of the two.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding the road bike at the start of the year just with the GPS and without measuring cadence like I do with the other bike. After I finally got around to installing the sensor kit for the Sigma I was surprised to see how low my cadence numbers were. I was riding faster, climbing a lot faster and logging in a lot more mileage than last year but my numbers were awfully low. I was down to 73-75 from my normal 89-91. Some of that may have had to do with some early season cramping issues that slowed me down but it was a bit of an eye opener for me.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I love up state NY. Had a great time there two summers ago when one of my daughters did the tri at Lake Placid.
    Anyway I can tell you the Garmin is always true and never lies and I would never ride without it. Just to prove it check out my total miles and average speed on this mornings ride. Good for a laugh.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78888706
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Serotta
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to mix it up--some with computer/data, some just for the enjoyment of the ride
    MinnBobber

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the speedo. It tells me when I'm riding too fast and gives me permission to slow down.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil85207 View Post
    God I love up state NY. Had a great time there two summers ago when one of my daughters did the tri at Lake Placid.
    Upstate is a great place to ride, except in the dead of winter and early spring. Lake Placid is a pretty good place to ride but I prefer the southern Adirondacks, better shoulders and less traffic and you don't have to worry about drivers paying more attention to the spectacular views around the high peaks rather than the road.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    I need the speedo. It tells me when I'm riding too fast and gives me permission to slow down.
    For some reason I never ride too fast, however I like this thought!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably should try that. Every time I go out I tell myself to take it easy and enjoy the ride. About an hour into the ride I looking at HR cadence and speed. The farther I go, the faster I try and go. The best part is, I'm really not getting any faster. All I can blame it on is age.
    George