Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When do I declare that "I'm Healed"?

I'm still on the anti imflammatories plus prednisone. I've been on them for about 8 weeks. I think the prednisone is keeping me from losing the weight I want lose and I'm ready to quick taking it. I still have some slight pain in my foot and one knee but it doesn't keep me from doing anything I'd ordinarily do. I spent 5 hours on the ladder last weekend and while I was very sore the next day I'm still alive.

I was finally able to do my first century of the year and put in 115 miles with 6000 ft of climbing today. I hate this extra weight and could feel it on the hills. I was slow as heck all day but it was nice finally doing a 100+. Funny thing was I felt better the longer I rode. Could that be the prednisone???

I just don't want to initiate another severe episode that would keep me from my two week Colorado trip. I don't go back to see my Doc until June........
    Last edited by jppe; 04-10-11 at 09:24 AM.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call the doc. You do have to wean yourself off of prednisone, don't stop it suddenly. Prednisone can cause weight gain, either from retaining water or ingesting too man calories due to an increase in your appetite.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday . . .

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems everywhere I look there are messages indicating more movement is good for arthritis. I don't recall the particulars for your ailment, but perhaps now that you can do more, it will be easier to do more. Well, maybe less painful.

Slightly OT question for you: I'd like to try Mt Mitchell this summer, and I recall you've done AOMM several times. We don't really have any long hills around here to practice on, so what would you recommend for preparation? My reasoning would be to try to simulate the effort (high) for a sustained period of time. Do you think extended efforts in Zone 4 would help?

Anyway, I'm glad you're getting better.
    Check out my blog and leave a comment!

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, I have a knee issue. At the moment it's fine, but is always in the back of my mind...

horatio, I short while back I was in Edgefield, SC. I had a bike with me, but was time strapped. From what I saw it looked like a good riding area. in particular just to the north and I'd like to go back. Any hints about the area?

Brad

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience with having arthritis treated, but I think I have some. I assume your Colorado trip will involve some climbing, not to mention high altitude, and it sounds like you have at least two months before it happens? You have time to build your conditioning back up using a reasonable periodized plan. First step would be to limit today's riding to a recovery - maybe 30% of your distance (40 miles max) at a decent but easy distance pace, not pushing it on the hills. Then crank it back up after a day or two.

This will address any basic fitness loss issues you might have, not associated with previous injury.

Personally, I never think "I'm healed." I tend to think "Hmm, this went pretty well today, maybe I can do more in a day or two."

As far as the Prednisone, I don't have a clue. My dad took it, but in his case it would not have been for anything athletic. See what your doc says?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by horatio View Post
    Seems everywhere I look there are messages indicating more movement is good for arthritis. I don't recall the particulars for your ailment, but perhaps now that you can do more, it will be easier to do more. Well, maybe less painful.

Slightly OT question for you: I'd like to try Mt Mitchell this summer, and I recall you've done AOMM several times. We don't really have any long hills around here to practice on, so what would you recommend for preparation? My reasoning would be to try to simulate the effort (high) for a sustained period of time. Do you think extended efforts in Zone 4 would help?

If you're planning to do AOMM I'd recommend doing 3 things, have easier gearing than you think you'll need, spend 8-9 hours at time in the saddle riding in the area you live in and making a few trips to the mountains to do some climbing. A great place to train is leaving from N Greenville College or Harmon Field in Tryon. I can give you some routes if need them.

If you're just going to climb Mitchell from Marion, Sparta or Asheville on a trip up that way, it's really not that big of a deal. There are some longish climbs but not anything terribly steep. Usually you can get water at the office just inside the park entrance. Just be prepared for any type of weather near Mitchell. One day I left Asheville and it was in the high 60's and no clouds. As I rode up the Parkway I rode through sleet, rain and temps that dropped into the 30's. It was okay climbing up but I just about froze on the descent. I couldn't tell if the bike was wobbling so bad from being unstable or if it was just me shaking so violently.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad you are feeling better.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely try to get to the mountains for a weekend of riding. It's hard to simulate the hills any other way. The Tryon area is great or get up to somewhere in WNC that has long sustained climbs. Our local hill is near 4000' in 16 miles. That ought to get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I'm still on the anti imflammatories plus prednisone. I've been on them for about 8 weeks. I think the prednisone is keeping me from losing the weight I want lose and I'm ready to quick taking it. I still have some slight pain in my foot and one knee but it doesn't keep me from doing anything I'd ordinarily do. I spent 5 hours on the ladder last weekend and while I was very sore the next day I'm still alive.

I was finally able to do my first century of the year and put in 115 miles with 6000 ft of climbing today. I hate this extra weight and could feel it on the hills. I was slow as heck all day but it was nice finally doing a 100+. Funny thing was I felt better the longer I rode. Could that be the prednisone???

I just don't want to initiate another severe episode that would keep me from my two week Colorado trip. I don't go back to see my Doc until June........
    As mentioned above, you're going to have to talk to your doc about getting off the prednisone. The length of taper will probably be relative to your dosing. I would think it would be better to err on the side of taking the treatment longer than shorter. As you said, you don't want to relapse. Sounds like you are on the way to a full recovery. 115 miles is a good indicator.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    If you're just going to climb Mitchell from Marion, Sparta or Asheville on a trip up that way, it's really not that big of a deal. There are some longish climbs but not anything terribly steep. Usually you can get water at the office just inside the park entrance. Just be prepared for any type of weather near Mitchell. One day I left Asheville and it was in the high 60's and no clouds. As I rode up the Parkway I rode through sleet, rain and temps that dropped into the 30's. It was okay climbing up but I just about froze on the descent. I couldn't tell if the bike was wobbling so bad from being unstable or if it was just me shaking so violently.
    Thanks for the info. This would be a personal ride, probably from Marion, sometime in June. AOMM is on the bucket list, but not this year. You know we'll expect a ride report and pics if you ride in Colorado.

BTW, did you ever get a definite diagnosis?

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 198? Trek 820 ** 19?? Roberts Audax

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. This would be a personal ride, probably from Marion, sometime in June. AOMM is on the bucket list, but not this year. You know we'll expect a ride report and pics if you ride in Colorado.

I did---it was Reactive Arthritis which was triggered by a virus. I had a similar issue 30 years ago but nothing to the extend of this latest one. Apparently there is some nasty stuff out there these days.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have arthritis in both knees, as well as damaged meniscus. It hurts like hell when I try to run or kneel. Good thing I'm not Catholic.

Viruses can be real nasty.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW-I will be spending the upcoming weekend in Sparta. I plan to do an out and back to Mitchell onthe Blue Ridge Parkway which will be about 75 miles round trip from our cabin--including riding down Hwy 80 and then reclimbing it from the Parkway. I've done it a couple times and it make for a nice day. Unfortunately the weather for this weekend doesn't look very promising.
    Ride your Ride!!