Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, Eliot just had no clue

April is NOT the cruelest month. For me, that would be March.

Well, OK, After Thanksgiving and the Holidays, it's all kind of shot.

Too, February wasn't so great, what with that trip down to Boca, and all.

And all? And all the freakin' rain!
    It was a La Nina on the coast this year... supposed to be a light rain year. Did someone forget to tell the rain? That's OK, though, we really, really, REALLY needed it.

But, yeah, back to March. Mrs S has her birthday in March -as do I- and our first date was in March and, gosh, wouldn't it just be soooo romantic to get married in March and make it our month? And it's right after Valentine's Day, our personal National Holiday. Great idea! For the first 5 or 10 years then, frankly, the gift ideas run a little dry.

So the upshot is, pretty well zippo miles for December. Got over a hundred in Jan (yay me) and started rounding back into riding shape... then came February and March and, so, back to Mr Eliot. Wow! is it hard getting miles back in now after all of that sluggitude.

Funny thing, though, is that all that rest seems to have increased my strength (and, obviously, freshness) but my stamina has gone down the tubes. I'm keeping in the 10-15 mile ramge, right now and, boy, I am just turning over formerly "impossible" gears and keeping my cadence at 80-90 or so. Pacifica, north-to-south (and back, too, I suppose), is a series of short and long-ish rollers; some are pretty stiff but (thank you!) short. Some I am now hit in my big ring. I just pick up the pace as I approach and blast right up it. Some, I'm taking in the middle ring where I need the the 30T before. It's pretty awesome . I am really pushing -I "hurt" when I get home, boy I am BEAT- and then I take a couple days off and go out and do it all again.

The bad part -and this is where I feel the lack of stamina- is I head out south, turn, and come back north. The winds right now have been in the 10-25 mph range right out of the north and into my face. After pushing the big ring all the way south, the wind coming back just crushes me. All I can do is settle into a pace and accept the slow progress back. I'll admit, it's not a whole lot of fun.

But it can't help but make me stronger, right?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    November and the weather hit us. Rain-cold and wind. That was besides the coldest snowiest winter we have had for years through December and jan. February and rain and cold and wind but March was the driest on record for years. Pity it wasn't warmer and less windy.

So my winters riding has been the occasional 20 miler just to keep the legs turning. But April is here but a body and mind set that is not right. Yesterday was my first sensible ride of the year and I took it very steady. Those knees and thighs were not going to be up to anything arduous so just get a few miles in to loosen everything up. Today I will not be going for a ride as the knees ache a bit too much but the mind is a lot better. I lost a few of my problems up the few slopes and I do feel a bit of sanity coming back.

But one more week of work before a two week break where I will be able to get a few rides in--Subject to weather of course. Wonder whether the 16% will be on the cards before I go back to work? One thing I do know- after yesterdays little jaunt I realise why I ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found myself much the same this Spring, fairly strong legs but noticeably reduced stamina. I've put in about 300 miles this year and the good news is the old snap in the legs is coming back rapidly with every mile. Like you, headwinds take a toll. That toll is not only physical but mental as well. It takes mental energy to move the bike against a head wind. My answer is to focus on something else besides the wind. For example, I work on relaxing in the saddle and producing a nice round pedal stroke which then becomes a successful activity with its own reward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <Sigh> Another of my posts sinking like a stone. Guess I've just lost touch with my 50+ brothers and sisters.
    To the two who did respond... Thanks! It does my heart good. Meanwhile, I will just keep on riding on.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry. I didn't really get the literary reference.

I made the blunder of getting married on the weekend of one of my favorite annual cycling events, the BRAG Spring Tune Up Ride. It seemed a small sacrifice to skip it that time, but now every year I have to come up with a way to make up for spending our anniversary weekend off riding my bike. This year is not so bad as the actual anniversary comes on Monday.

The only way I know to minimize the "getting your legs back" ordeal is to keep riding year round. Even then it is hard to keep the intensity and duration going through the winter so there is still a rebuilding process.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.