My Bikes
    Two carbon framed cycles ,Road and Hybrid,and a very old Carlton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the distance you cycle ?

Hello.

Re.above,I am interested in what is the average distance other people ride.
    That is for a single pleasure ride.
    Not competition or event.
    Just riding for enjoyment.

Yours
    Doug.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to do rides in the 20 - 35 mile range but that depends on conditions.

Mrs. Grouch and I did a 26 mile ride yesterday that pooped us out. We rode on the Katy Trail but it had rained overnight and the trail was a little soft. Our side trip on pavement into St Charles for lunch was 2 or 3 MPH faster. That's quite a bit of difference.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most club rides I do are 30-40 miles. We normally ride 20 miles, eat lunch and then return to the start.

I also enjoy doing many of the weekly tours. They're generally 45-65 miles daily. This is my favorite type of riding and I usually do 2-3 each summer.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with my wife on trails. If we are time constrained, we do the "short" ride of 16 miles. The 24 mile ride is the "normal" distance. My wife wants to get into better shape so that she can do longer rides. On Saturdays, I get out and do a 50 miler. I generally have to get back so that is it. I generally manage to get in a few centuries every year.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm solo everytime out so it's pretty much my discretion as to pace and distance. The other day I was going out for my second ride of the season just wanting a recoup ride from the day before (3-5mi) and ended up doing 18 just for fun.

Typically, it's in the 20-40 range when the conditioning is more in place.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Felt F80, Trek 730, Raleigh M40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ride distance depends on a few variables:

1. amount of time I have
    (if it is right after work and time is short, I don't have a problem cutting a ride short to 15 or 20 miles)
    2. weather conditions
    (we have very high winds here for a good part of the year. It blew 50+mph
    yesterday and the forecast is for 60+ today -- I will not ride in those conditions.)
    3. how much I have ridden the previous three or four days. (I like to get a ride every other day or so)
    4. on weekends I will ride farther than on weekdays
    (related to #1 -- weekend mornings around here typically yield lighter traffic and lighter winds;
    a 40-mile ride is not uncommon then.)
    Primary rides:

2000 BMW R1200C
    2000 BMW R1100RT
    1979 BMW R80S

1996 TREK 730 hybrid 21 spd
    2005 FELT F80 road 27 spd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug. View Post
    I am interested in what is the average distance other people ride.
    That is for a single pleasure ride.
    I've never done the math to figure out what my average for a single ride is. I know that for the past 4 or 5 years I averaged between 130-150 miles per week year round, and that typically works out to between 3-5 rides per week. So I suppose my average single ride would statistically work out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 miles.

But in actuality that doesn't seem right. Ah, wait, you specified "pleasure" rides, and some of my weekly mileage is from an occasional 22 mile round trip commute, so that skews the data downward. I'd say 50-65 miles is probably my average pleasure ride.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer rides of at least an hour, but no more than four. Under an hour and I don't feel fulfilled. I can ride longer than four, but the joy starts to drain away after four hours or so, and I'm mentally miserable (although physically fine) by six hours. Most typically, my preference is around two hours.

Translated, my most frequent loop is 27 miles. Halfway back yesterday I was thinking that I have to extend that since I've got it under 90 minutes now. I'm thinking 35 would be about right--another four miles out. Consulting the maps later today.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 - 30 miles, sometimes 40 - 45.

More importantly, how many rides do you take a week?

As the weather improves, I will get in 4 - 6 rides per week, with a weekly of somewhere about 130 miles per week. I don't track miles, but I know the lengths of the trails I ride. However, I DO track smiles!

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite ride is what I call my "15 mi. TT." I do it once a week in mid-season and go as hard as I can from start to finish. I just like that feeling of being "on the boil" for an entire ride. Aside from that, I like riding 25-35 mi. at a decent pace of about 15-16 mph. Sometimes it's a solo ride and sometimes with my gf. For me every ride is it's own thing and I usually enjoy them all unless I bonk.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Secteur, 2005 Trek 1500, 1988 Nishiki Olympic, 19?? Trek MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with TSL - at least an hour. I'm trying to build up to 4+, but 3.5 is the most I've managed so far this season. Of course, I'll have to learn to manage much longer rides if I ever start randonneuring. LOL

Distance will vary, depending on route and weather conditions (i.e. wind), and energy/fatigue level.

I'm averaging three rides per week now that the days are longer, aiming for 4-5 as the season progresses. I've put in a little over 700 miles total since New Year's.
    2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1989 Pinarello Montello ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1988 Centurion Ironman Expert ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1986 Basso Gap ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 19?? Roberts Audax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally 25-45 miles, usually more or less non-stop. I prefer to keep going and don't like stopping. On longer rides, I'll stop and take a potty/food/rest break maybe every 30 miles or so.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.
    Thank you all for the replies.
    I do agree it is for the pleasure not the distance.
    I generaly ride about 50 miles,but stop a couple of the times to drink and enjoy the surroundings.
    As I tend to ride alone at my own pace I was very interested what other riders distance is.
    Yes,strong head winds are most very unplesant.
    I must add that I am a road rider and could not do those distances on trails or un paved roads,that realy would exhaust me.
    A few times in the year I ride for 100 miles,adjusting my pace accordingly.
    My cycle is a home built and the parts sourced world wide carbon frame machine,with a Shimano 105 group set.
    Please all continue to enjoy your cycling .
    Best Wishes
    Yours
    Doug.Henri

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many variables as to how many miles one would cover in a day...
    terrain, weather ( wind, temp etc), availability of food and water....who on meets..chatting is important to me...

state of the road surface, scenery, ( stopping for pictures)

in every country I have toured it is one of the questions I am asked when I do a pit stop, just after ...
    "where are you from?"

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does depend on how I feel when I plan the ride. I ride solo so no-one else to accomodate but weekends and I try to get in a 50 miler and a couple of 20milers in the week in the evenings. The 20 milers are training with one night taking in hills and the other a flat route taken with the intention of keeping the HR up near 80% of my max. Sundays and if it is not an organised ride then it is how I feel on the day and the weather. Try to get in 50 miles with a few hills but may be a flat ride if I am not up to pushing myself. But Pie stops are necessary. I ride for me and that is it. No chasing other riders- no tacking on behind groups and in between hilly bits where I mat struggle- then it is look at the scenery and enjoy.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For myself, each ride is typically 45k to 75k and I do this 2 or 3 times each week. This year I'm riding on Sundays with a bike club. Distances ridden with the club are no greater but the speed is somewhat higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go by time, at least 45 minutes min. usually 1+hours. ride every day ,unless its raining/snowing etc. average around 15.5/16 mph,depending on condx. (wind, and bike.)
    Bud

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solo quickies after work are 20 miles. Rides with my buddies 35-45 depending on time. Sunday solo's 30-40.
    2010 Felt F75

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My weekly average during these past winter months has been in the range of 140 miles or so.. we'll pick up some as the weather improves.. I usually ride with the club 2 times a week. .. The Sunday ride is the big ride of the week with an average ride of 50-60 miles. I also ride with club members on Wednesday's. Usually about twice a week I head out on the bike to complete errands . Errand rides are usually in the range of 15-20 miles.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daily exercise route is 20 miles, or if I feel like it, I take the 33 mile route.
    On weekends, I do randonneuring rides (mostly 200k and up) or sometimes charity rides (normally 100k) or ride with the local bike shop ride (20-34 miles).
    Yesterday, I did a 200k brevet.
    Today, I rode 27 miles out to White Rock Lake.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to road cycling, my first ride was 33km in 3c March weather, my last three rides were 36km 66km and yesterday 54km on my first club ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daily (except weekends) 20 mile round trip to work and back.

Paul

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    26 miles average 4 times a week in good weather. 20 miles a day on trainer during winter.
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost always ride solo. My typical ride is between 10 and 20 miles, usually averaging 16 to 18 mph, sometimes 19mph and higher. Oh, and I almost exclusively ride on a bike path...hate dealing with automobile traffic.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.
    Yes,all very interesting.
    When I do the 50 mile ride I am tired the following day.
    It takes me often about 2 or maybe the 3 days before I ride again, the distance I then ride is dependent on how I physicaly feel.
    After the 160 K. ride I am tired for about 5 or the 6 days.
    Informed it's better to cycle the shorter distances ( 25 to the 30 K.)and to ride more often,than longer exhausting journeys.
    However I have routes that are so pleasent that I like to do the longer rides.
    I generally cycle on very small quite country roads with little traffic.
    I do not ride with other persons as I am not competative and like to go where I wish,not to be influenced with other peoples choice of journey.
    I'm not a fast rider, average speed about 16 to 18 k.p.h.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast