Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is Dog Control on Your Area? Multiple Responses OK.

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multiple Resposes Suggested - There are no dog control laws in my area

2 4.65%
  • There are weak dog control laws in my area, and they are not enforced

10 23.26%
  • There are weak dog control laws in my area, but they are enforc

2 4.65%
  • There are strong dog control laws in my area, and they are not enforced

9 20.93%
  • There are strong dog control laws in my area, and they are enforced

6 13.95%
  • I have had many negative experiences with dogs on my rides

4 9.30%
  • I have had a few negative experiences with dogs on my rides

13 30.23%
  • I hardly ever or never have negative experiences with dogs on my rides

22 51.16%
  • I have reported negative experiences to the authorities

7 16.28%
  • Other responses - please add below

2 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog Control in Your Area

Lots of discussion about dog problems. How prevalent is this problem? Please answer the poll above. If you have other ideas or comments, please add below. Please choose several responses, as appropriate. Thanks for pariticpating.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-10-11 at 09:13 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually don't know what dog control laws exist where I live now (a medium-density suburban city with a small downtown area). I see very few dogs anywhere, which makes me sad. There were more dogs around when I lived in the most densely populated parts of San Francisco. I suppose there's some sort of leash law, since most places have one. If so, it is widely ignored, but the off-leash dogs I've met showed no interest in my bike at all.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only problems round here are on the MUPs. All users allowed and I was alarmed a couple of times with dogs not under control by one particular owner. Reported it to the local dog warden but they are powerless to take any enforcement unless I am attacked by the dog. Bit late when I am lying in ER with bites or broken bones from being knocked off the bike.

The usual rule of "Dogs must be under control and on a leash at all time in Public space" does not apply to MUP's
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, it seems that few people are aware of the dog control laws in their areas.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small city and it is pretty much all dogs should be on a leash if they are not behind a fence. The city streets are busy enough that I very rarely see dogs running loose in the streets. But it is a different story in the parks, both city & state parks, people let the dogs run off leash even though there are signs. The couple of times I've had to take quick action to avoid running over a dog, and avoid one that was snapping at my leg, is when I've been mtbing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add this one:

I have reported negative experiences to the authorities and they have done nothing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our laws regarding dogs are so weak that dogs are allowed to roam off-property and kill pets/livestock with no consequences. It's not actually the laws that are lacking, it is the interpretations of the local enforcement officers. Thankfully, since there have been numerous incidents this past year the sheriff's department is beginning to take a more aggressive approach. In fact, my son saw someone getting a citation for allowing his dog to chase the geese near the bike path we live next to just two days ago. Of course that was the same day three of my neighbor's dogs ran into my backyard to chase my ducks. (I opened the gate to bring a tool out just as the neighbor was taking her dogs for an off-leash romp in our leashes-mandatory county.)

I feel that dog owner's behavior is a good barometer of just how civil a society is. If people behave as scofflaws with their dogs, they will ignore any law they find inconvenient no matter the consequences to others as long as they think they can get away with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    ...dog owner's behavior is a good barometer...If people behave as scofflaws with their dogs, they will ignore any law...they think they can get away with it.
    Here in WV the 'law' won't set down their doughnuts to respond to reports of lead whistling through the neighborhood, so the whole notion of responding to dog issues is quaint...like the banjo music. Add that to the endemic attitude toward anything on the road without fat tires and you get the picture for cyclists. Cycle off-road here or spend your cycle holiday dollars someplace else.

Dogs do feature on the nightly TV human interest tear-jerker when a pit takes a chunk off a neighbor kid's butt.
    AUDENTIS FORTUNA IUUAT
    - Virgil, Aeneid (Book 10, Line 284)