Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 Another try at all carbon

I bought this 2003 Kestrel frameset from Ebay. I had previously built a 200CI for resale (a bit too small for me) that was a wonderful ride. The wheels are relaced 600 tricolor hubs with new rims. I used Dura Ace derailleurs, 9 speed cassette, and bar ends. The crankset is a compact FSA. I estimate her at just under 18 lbs.

I haven't ridden her yet, I wore myself out this morning with yard work. I may ride her to work tomorrow.

Last edited by robtown; 04-21-11 at 08:55 AM.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good looking bike. The Kestrel Talon was on my short list when I was shopping for my first all-carbon road bike back in 2006.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful!! "her?"
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice job! Looks fast.

I could have used the aero bars this weekend as it was awfully windy here.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. Do you like having the shifters out there on the ends of the geek bars?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Good looking bike. The Kestrel Talon was on my short list when I was shopping for my first all-carbon road bike back in 2006.
    When I first started looking at CF bikes around 2008 the Kestrel Talon closeouts (black/red) caught my eye. I try to have my hobby fund itself and stay under the spousal radar so it's taken some time to put this one together. I've also made many detours into other rides like my Colnago Master Olympic and Guercerotti ALAN cross bike. I had a fair number of parts on hand and found some good deals on used DA 9 speed components so my immediate out of pocket costs were reasonable.
    With the Kestrel my stable is full and I'll concentrate on riding and flipping a few bikes for maintenance funds.

Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Beautiful!! "her?"
    Her, like in the tradition of calling ships her.

Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    Very nice job! Looks fast.

I could have used the aero bars this weekend as it was awfully windy here.
    Yes, aero bars are good for headwinds, for stretching out, for altering the workload to leg muscles, and for getting weight off your hands/wrists. I hope she's as nice a ride as the 2001 Kestrel I built last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Nice. Do you like having the shifters out there on the ends of the geek bars?
    My Miyata has them in the same place, only with bullhorn bars instead of drop. It does take a while to get used to them. I might move them to the drops like many of my bikes or take advantage of the available bar end to mount a bar end mirror.
    Last edited by robtown; 04-10-11 at 08:34 PM.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Kestrel 8 miles to work this morning. It was warm, humid, with a strong headwind. I wore shorts, a short sleeve jersey and arm/leg warmers.

The drive-train was smooth and precise, quiet with no complaints. The braking strong and precise. The wheels pinged initially as they spokes settled into place. The bike has a good road feel and the short steep climb out of my neighborhood was easier than I expected.

I had to stop a couple times to raise the saddle (it was too low, then slipped after the first adjustment) This changed the ride dramatically and put the bars lower in relation to the saddle than I prefer. As a result I'll have to adjust the clip on aero bars downward.

I have to work on the engine output and ride many more miles before passing judgement but she earned the right find her place in the pecking order.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, but the pictures do not count unless taken against a garage door - it you do not have a garage you can send the bike to me and I will be glad to take pics in front of my garage. I will also make sure the bike is in good running order and will return it to you when all the drive components have been properly broken in. I will do this at no charge.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    I try to have my hobby fund itself
    Not sure that would work for me; I think the sum total of my earnings from cycling is $10!

Oh, wait, you meant by selling older bikes, right? Nevermind...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Very nice, but the pictures do not count unless taken against a garage door -.
    How do you know it isn't a garage door?

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After several rides I've determined that the Kestrel should move on to her next owner. The ride is ok, and would be better when I am in better shape later this year - but still too aggressive. This is a short term N-1 setback but my bike fund will be plush.

I'm showing her to a gentleman from Gettysburg PA tonight - he's traveling several hours RT so I hope we aren't disappointed.
    Korval is Ships

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's gone to a very happy 40+ rider from Gettysburg PA. He has a lot of rolling hills and nice country to explore. I have a small pile of bike money to fund my next few projects.
    Korval is Ships