Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Shoes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoes

Are bicycling shoes really work the money, or are any athletic shoes just as good?

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the type of riding you do. If you're just riding around town or short trails, athletic shoes will be fine. If you're doing over 20 miles at a time, or riding for a good work-out, you'll find cycling shoes to be helpful. Cycling shoes have stiff soles to prevent the pedal from digging into your foot and can accommodate cleats to hold your foot on the pedal and improve power transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes & no.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the other John said, depends on your type of riding. Do you ride with the ball of your foot over the spindle? Do you want to pull up on the pedal? Do you want to fall over when you forget to unclip? Then cycling shoes are the way to go. Me? I like falling over so I have cycling shoes.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends not only on the type of riding, but also the type of pedal, and the type of shoe. Give it a shot, and any shortcomings will become obvious to you. If you don't perceive any, then you'll be fine.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh the great shoe debate. I am a road cyclist and they make a difference for me. Being able to make power on the full petal stroke will stun you. When you start out from a light and are lifting one foot while pushing down on the other will amaze you at the difference. You will use muscles you never used, and it will take a while to get it all down but I think most people who try them, like them. Very popular with mountain bikers too.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another post I asked about better cycling shoes.
    I have one (restored Schwinn LeTour Tourist upright)bike out of 5 that has platform pedals and mini clips.
    All the rest are clipless.
    For 20 miles of eisurely riding tennis shoes may work but for a longer haul..uh uh.
    Decent shoes help the legs transfer the power to the cranks to keep you moving. The less wasted eneryg (at my age anyway) the better!

My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy2 View Post
    Are bicycling shoes really work the money, or are any athletic shoes just as good?
    Depends on your feet, your rides, and your wallet.

Worth every penny for me. Over about 15-20 miles, and it's worth it (to me) to have my feet attached to the pedals so I'm confident increasing the cadence, which helps my knees.

Over 30 miles, a good solid sole -- what you get with a decent bike shoe -- prevents hot spots, and lets me ride longer and farther.

My Bikes
    Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    Depends on your feet, your rides, and your wallet.

Worth every penny for me. Over about 15-20 miles, and it's worth it (to me) to have my feet attached to the pedals so I'm confident increasing the cadence, which helps my knees.

Over 30 miles, a good solid sole -- what you get with a decent bike shoe -- prevents hot spots, and lets me ride longer and farther.
    Ditto for me too. And I prefer clipless. Sure they're expensive but my knees and feet are a lot happier.

I develop cramping problems in my feet when I ride without them. If I have to ride a bike that isn't clipless then I'll wear hard soled shoes or even hiking boots with a hard sole.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies, Yesterday I bought a pair of Specialized Tahoe shoes. Will try them out today.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies, Yesterday I bought a pair of Specialized Tahoe shoes. Will try them out today.
    Let us know how it goes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice. I've been trying to decide between the Tahoe and the Sonoma. Leaning towards the Sonoma, but the jury's still out.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really miss the old Avocet Touring I and II shoes with the cleat-like ridges across the soles. Great for walking, great for anything short of all-out racing.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a fan of laceups for bike shoes although the Tahoe description on the Specialized site sat they have some kind of strap to keep the laces under control I did not see it in the pic. MTB shoes with recessed cleats make it a lot easier to walk from what I am told. Being a roadie I have never used them, I can sure say I hate walking in bike shoes, particularly with the Speedplay cleats I use. I have a steep slick asphalt drive and I have ended up on my rear on more than one occasion from slipping with my bike shoes.

However to the larger question, bike shoes & clipless make a huge difference. That difference can really be felt if you learn to use the full pedal stroke as was mentioned above. I found that a few sessions of spin class on a fixed flywheel bike will teach you how to pedal.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend more active (moving) time in cycling shoes than any other footwear.

Worthwhile? Yep. My one pair of road shoes have outlasted three #1 hangin' round the office shoes.

These are cool - save ass and cleats:

http://www.bikeman.com/Exustar_Cleat_Covers.html

...available for most cleat styles, take up just a bit of room in jersey pocket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "It beats the alternative." "Every day is a good day." - PoppaDaddy

Rit
    My Bikes
    few Canandales, an old 76 Graftek frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, I would never ride more than 3 miles w/o them. My idea of cycling shoes are different though, after racing 25 years, I currently use Sidi Carbons and Speed Play pedals. To me, with out good shoes and pedals are like skiing with out good boots and bindings - they mean that much. You want all of your energy to go to the road.
    Of course, I do very little walking around when I put the bike out.
    If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden just over 60 miles with my new Specialized Tahoe shoes and am very happy with them. These shoes have a velcro strap which hold the laces in place so they do not get tangled in anything. So far I feel they are worth the money.

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering going to a bicycling shoe also. I know what non-cycling shoes not to wear - Sketchers Shape-Ups, no support in them at all when peddling. All of my shoes are non-cycling, but after using the Shape-ups once, then trying a few other athletic shoes I have, some have better support than others and my feet feel the difference after a few miles. My fear is cleats, panicking, and not being able to get the darn things off the pedals. I have seen a few folks stop on the road and just fall over, and I know that can't feel good when your body hits the side of a curb. I may take the plunge since you can't be to comfortable when riding, and try and practice, practice, practice before I ride. The LBS I deal with said he would show me how to adjust them so they release easy when I first start out to get past my fear, and tighten them up as I get more comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rit View Post
    Oh man, I would never ride more than 3 miles w/o them. My idea of cycling shoes are different though, after racing 25 years, I currently use Sidi Carbons and Speed Play pedals. To me, with out good shoes and pedals are like skiing with out good boots and bindings - they mean that much. You want all of your energy to go to the road.
    Of course, I do very little walking around when I put the bike out.
    I have to agree with this totally if I am on the bike 2 mile or 30 miles, I must be clipped in and also wear Sidi shoes they are awesome. I found that good bike shoes and pedals make a world of difference. When I started clipping in a little over a year ago I noticed the difference right away and will never ride without being clipping in again. As far as the fear of falling if it happens it will be my own fault for not paying attention to what I am doing. I have never raced or been in an event of any type I ride just to get in shape. But as I always say what works for me may not work for others.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...sgO/weight.png

Take life one day at a time and live well each day..
    2009 Trek 7500 (mine)
    2009 Trek 7300 (hers)

My Bikes
    1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiduhman View Post
    I spend more active (moving) time in cycling shoes than any other footwear.

Worthwhile? Yep. My one pair of road shoes have outlasted three #1 hangin' round the office shoes.

These are cool - save ass and cleats:

http://www.bikeman.com/Exustar_Cleat_Covers.html

...available for most cleat styles, take up just a bit of room in jersey pocket.
    I just got a new pair of Sidi Genius 5's (on eBay for less than half price that had been worn 3 times and were like new) and upgraded from my Wellgo mtb pedals to Speedplay zeroes. I've been using clipless for 20 years and I love them. I feel safer and more in control on my bike when I wear them and I find that especially with climbing, there really is no comparison. When I got my new cleats, the LBS folks recommend the covers and I'm glad I bought them. I use them all the time and store my shoes with them on as well. Really the best $10 I've ever spent for my cycling addiction.

Lurking
    My Bikes
    2011 Bianchi Imola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are cycling shoes sized the same as a regular pair of shoes?

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am considering going to a bicycling shoe also. I know what non-cycling shoes not to wear - Sketchers Shape-Ups, no support in them at all when peddling. All of my shoes are non-cycling, but after using the Shape-ups once, then trying a few other athletic shoes I have, some have better support than others and my feet feel the difference after a few miles. My fear is cleats, panicking, and not being able to get the darn things off the pedals. I have seen a few folks stop on the road and just fall over, and I know that can't feel good when your body hits the side of a curb. I may take the plunge since you can't be to comfortable when riding, and try and practice, practice, practice before I ride. The LBS I deal with said he would show me how to adjust them so they release easy when I first start out to get past my fear, and tighten them up as I get more comfortable.
    I am in exactly the same situation. I am getting back into cycling after 30+ years. I just picked up my new bike, yesterday, and I took the plunge and had my LBS install clipless pedals (Shimano 105's). I tried on every road shoe the store had in stock and ended up buying the "Expert Road" model by Specialized. Quite simply, I bought the shoe which felt the best.

The salesman then mounted the cleats on the shoes, placed my new bike in the rollers, and had me mount the bike and practice clipping-in and out. I found it to be fairly straightforward. I had watched the following two videos on YouTube and found them to be a great help in explaining the process:

Clipping-In: http://tinyurl.com/3dyjoyl
    Unclipping: http://tinyurl.com/3gerhjz

My next step is to find a deserted parking lot and practice until the procedure becomes automatic.

My Bikes
    Trek Lexi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jischr View Post
    Do you want to fall over when you forget to unclip? Then cycling shoes are the way to go. Me? I like falling over so I have cycling shoes.
    That's pretty hilarious. I just purchased my first pair of cycling shoes and new pedals with cleats. I have not yet had an opportunity to test them on the road and got about 10 minutes of clipping in and out while on the trainer. When they showed me how to use them letting me practice I made a comment about falling and was told that if my attitude was that I would fall because of the clipping in and out, then I would fall. I have since decided that I'm not going to fall and if it happens, well, things happen.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, with the caveat that many are reported in European sizes. It will be obvious w/ continental European shoes, with sizes in the low 40s, but not w/ British-sized shoes, which are just close enough to American sizing to throw you off.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069