Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hydration & Urinating

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hydration & Urinating

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-11, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hydration...

The important thing for someone over 50 is to make sure that what you urinate is at least half of what you drink - my problems started because I was drinking more than I was eliminating, and the urinary retention that followed has caused me a number of problems...

I regret not being mindful of what was happening, because I would just think it was part of being middle-aged, not realizing that I wasn't retaining more than I was drinking...

Glades2
Old 04-15-11, 06:38 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Use HEED or any other Electrolyte Sports Drink. You will not feel the need to over hydrate and you will not dehydrate.

Drinking excess amounts of pure water can be as harmful as not drinking enough fluids.
+1
This has been my experience. I no longer drink straight water after a hot century several years ago where I flushed all the electrolytes out of my system. I find that using Nuun has made a big change in my ability to properly hydrate.
Old 04-16-11, 06:57 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The riders who start off a ride with normal levels of pre-hydration usually do not need to urinate during the ride, or at least less often. Physicians say its about normal kidney function during intense aerobic exercise.
Old 04-18-11, 01:36 AM

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Prepping for longer rides, like doubles and steep/difficult centuries, I add a few more glasses of water each day the week before, and, since no way I'm giving up coffee, it's a stop every 15/20 mins for the first few hours, but I stick with the hydration plan and finish strong.

The stops don't take long.

"I can see your weewee!"

"That's because it's gigantic."

Ahem... when ya gotta go

For shorter rides, it's become a matter of experience, although still occasionally get just a smidge too dry. Margin for error here in much bigger than summer in Chico, where a full bottle every 20 mins may be necessary as the merc wanders north of 100F.

Here, over 75 F is "hot."
Old 04-18-11, 10:28 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gracehowler
Thanks to all for your input, I (we) do tend to err on the dry side and think the pendulum swings too far the other way and then drink too much, I think the hassle is the pit stop. We paddled canoes for years and pit stops are much more convenient
R&J
I occasionally use a belly boat (inner tube with a seat) when fishing small lakes and ponds. When I first started, I could paddle close to shore stand. drop my waders and pee beyond the inner tube. After a few years that changed to I could pee beyond my waders. Now I just tell everyone that my waders leaked!