Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Proud Of My Father

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Proud Of My Father

Old 04-12-11, 08:02 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Proud Of My Father

My father, who will be 70 this year, recently moved to the west coast of Canada where the winters are milder and where he has been able to get out on his bicycle more often, despite the fact that this year has apparently been the rainiest winter and spring in a long time.

So far this year he has ridden 834 km which is 20 km more than he did all last year ... and it isn't even summer there yet! Not bad! And he is often out for 50+ km rides.

I hope I'm doing that much (or more!) when I'm his age.
Old 04-12-11, 08:06 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts

Canada's west coast is someplace I've been looking at as a new home as well.
Old 04-12-11, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did he move to ? It's all nice out here but someplaces are nicer than others. And just think he is now closer to you.
Old 04-12-11, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope I am doing as many miles when I am 70.

Hope he keeps on riding those miles for many years to come Machka
Old 04-13-11, 03:37 AM
"He must be crazy!"

Bikes: Road: Al Cannondale, Steel Basso. MTB: Steel hardtail.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good on him!

I used to go cycling on the Costa Blanca, Spain for the first half of March every year and I saw the same group of elderly British cyclists there every time. They'd always move out there after Christmas and stay until April. They loved riding in the sunshine and hated the chilly, damp, dreary conditions that the UK tends to suffer for those months.

Every day they would cycle out to a cafe and sit there for a couple of hours enjoying coffee, cake and sunshine. Then they would ride back to their hotel afterwards. Typically, it would be 25-30 miles each way. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

After a few years of that, I asked one of the men his age. He was 75!

On one occasion, I saw that one of the old guys was covered in bandages. I asked what had happened and he started laughing. "A bunch of younger cyclists shot past me on a descent so I set off after them. I was gaining on them too, but then I hit a patch of gravel on a tight bend. Perhaps I'm getting a bit too old for racing!" Much laughter ...

I aim to ride my bike until I'm at least 80. A great uncle of mine in Scotland managed it!
Old 04-13-11, 04:24 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Machka's dad used to post here with the user name Cadillac. He and Machka's mum, who is also turning 70 this year are fine people and I love them dearly.

One thing Machka didn't mention is that both of them are getting back to riding their tandem. I think Machka and I gave them some inspiration after we started tandeming on a borrowed bike in August last year, and then bought a Santana Arriva in February.

We are planning to head to Vancouver this coming August, so we look forward to riding with them.

overthehillmedi, they moved to an outer area almost due east of Vancouver. So there is some flat country and they are at the base of the Rockies.

I spent six months living with them and Machka in Alberta, and I know how cold those winters can get. I think the Vancouver region is much like my home city of Hobart as far as weather is concerned, so certainly, winters are a darned sight more comfortable for them.
Old 04-13-11, 09:15 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Hobart!

Originally Posted by Rowan
Machka's dad used to post here with the user name Cadillac. He and Machka's mum, who is also turning 70 this year are fine people and I love them dearly.

One thing Machka didn't mention is that both of them are getting back to riding their tandem. I think Machka and I gave them some inspiration after we started tandeming on a borrowed bike in August last year, and then bought a Santana Arriva in February.

We are planning to head to Vancouver this coming August, so we look forward to riding with them.

overthehillmedi, they moved to an outer area almost due east of Vancouver. So there is some flat country and they are at the base of the Rockies.

I spent six months living with them and Machka in Alberta, and I know how cold those winters can get. I think the Vancouver region is much like my home city of Hobart as far as weather is concerned, so certainly, winters are a darned sight more comfortable for them.
I've been to Hobart, visiting the coastal patrol frigate "Bendigo" back in the late 1980s or early 90s on behalf of the U.S. Great town and friendly people. I think that Bendigo was PTF-211, but I can't remember now. Phil G.
Old 04-13-11, 09:20 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
HAve him join us other 70+'rs in the 65 - 85+ thread. There are a bunch of us here.
Old 04-13-11, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
I'm always inspired by folks who stay active well into their senior years. The nearer I get to 70, though, the younger it seems. It's only about 12 1/2 years away for me, and I certainly hope my cycling days will continue well beyond that point. If family history is anything to go by, I stand a pretty good chance of doing just that.
Old 04-13-11, 11:18 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Lets hope he is active into the 100s.
Old 04-13-11, 12:59 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
My father, who will be 70 this year, recently moved to the west coast of Canada where the winters are milder and where he has been able to get out on his bicycle more often, despite the fact that this year has apparently been the rainiest winter and spring in a long time.

So far this year he has ridden 834 km which is 20 km more than he did all last year ... and it isn't even summer there yet! Not bad! And he is often out for 50+ km rides.

I hope I'm doing that much (or more!) when I'm his age.
From a 70 year old, to another 70 year old, you go guy!!
Old 04-13-11, 05:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson

Canada's west coast is someplace I've been looking at as a new home as well.
Then you can ride to high tea at the Empress hotel...Good duty...
Bud
Old 04-13-11, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Soma Stanyan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, I am turning 60 in another month and suddenly I've started thinking how many more years I have. Well if I make to your dad's age that gives me a least a decade. Who know he'll probably be still biking.
Old 04-13-11, 09:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"overthehillmedi, they moved to an outer area almost due east of Vancouver. So there is some flat country and they are at the base of the Rockies."

If they are outside of Vancouver they are about four hundred miles from the Rockies, the mountains around Vancouver are the Cascades and Coast ranges, small potatoes to the Rockies
Old 04-14-11, 03:47 PM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Rowan
And they were the ones who inspired me to start cycling. Both of them were into cycling as far back as I can remember and we frequently cycled together as a family when I was growing up. I did my first hub-and-spoke tours on holidays with them. Then my parents bought their first tandem in the late 1970s and spent a lot of years riding tandem.

They've supported me through all my cycling adventures, especially the randonneuring. And my father has dabbled in randonneuring himself (after the age of 60), riding distances up to 300K.

They've also made it seem perfectly normal to have a house full of bicycles and bicycle stuff.
Old 04-14-11, 10:53 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

We are ages 78/76 and have been riding as a tandem duo since 1975; we rode single bikes before that.
Have covered over 230,000 miles riding TWOgether!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture0054.jpg (35.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-14-11, 11:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The the Oooooool Cadillac is still cruising around! Good Job Man!
Old 04-15-11, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great for your Dad, Machka. In the 2 clubs with which I ride, we have several riders over 65, and one over 80. A rider (and now a friend) who is 71 invited me to join him for a 300k ride in Dec 2010. He has also invited me to ride the Grand Tour Double Century in Malibu in June.
Old 04-16-11, 12:40 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Hey Machka and Rowan,

It is good to hear that Mr. and Mrs Cadillac have moved to the warmer climes of Lotus-land. Yes, health-wise I believe it is a good move for them - and bicycling-wise too ..

If you and Rowan will be in AB this summer, then I may bot get to see you in the Land of OZ. Right now the bike trip has been cut in half and I'll spend more time touring SA, VIC and NSW instead of going hell-bent from WA to NSW I will send a PM soon.
Old 04-16-11, 06:30 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I'm always inspired by folks who stay active well into their senior years. The nearer I get to 70, though, the younger it seems...............
That is so true. Last year I did my 15 mi. TT at 17.5 mph this year (age 65) I'm hoping to do 18 mph. I have no doubt I can too, if I can just get some miles in my legs and lose a couple lbs. Seems like it gets better and better. No doubt it all ends but in the meantime I guess I'll just ride.
Old 04-25-11, 05:37 AM
In Real Life

And he did a 76 km solo ride just the other day! He'll be in better shape than I am by August.
Old 04-25-11, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Kudos to your dad. Send him over to hang out with us at the 50+ forum.
Old 04-25-11, 08:52 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem

We are ages 78/76 and have been riding as a tandem duo since 1975; we rode single bikes before that.
Have covered over 230,000 miles riding TWOgether!
I am a little late, but props are due!!
Old 04-25-11, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My dad is 90, weighs 120 pounds, is all of 5'3" and went bowling last night. He plays golf once or twice a week when the weather is good. I take him fishing whenever he wants. I am so proud of him!
Old 05-01-11, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't had much time posting since I have been on the computer with a few other tasks. In particular a randonneuring novella (short novel) and an interactive Greek Bible.

We seem to get a lot of rain at the coast, but I am about 1000 km this year. Yesterday I was planning a 100 km ride out to Manning Park and back which would take in a serious hill-climb. If that is successful, then I'd like to do a few centuries (160km), this year.

Before you think my body is a copy of Arnold S., I am not particularly athletic. I cycled as a kid and kept it up through the years, did some cross-country running in the mountains around Trail, BC, some hockey and softball, etc. But basically my life has been somewhat sedentary. I mention this as an encouragement to those who are also not greatly athletic. You can still have an exciting time of cycling which will reduce stress and extra weight all through life and even into your senior years.

Thanks to everyone who has given positive feedback on this forum -- especially to my daughter, Machka.

Here's a link to my novella:
https://www.motorera.com/stories/dino1.htm

Cheers,
Cadillac

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.