User Tag List

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't......

......get myself to ride in cold weather. This time of the year in northeastern CT is usually cold and windy...as it is this morning. At 7:00 am it was 40 degrees here with a bit of a breeze. No doubt the wind will pick up by mid-day. My club will be off on their rides this morning at 10:00 am but today's high is only going to be 51 degrees and that will be around 1:00-2:00 pm. My gf and I were going to go on our first club ride of the year but I just can't get myself to go out in 40 degree weather (and she definitely won't) especially when it's windy. OTOH, I really do want to get some miles in my legs. Just wondering if anyone else runs into this predicament in the early season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, me too. It is funny because I did ride the end of last season when it was about as cold as it is now. But I just cannot seem to get myself out there now because it seems too cold.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's the combination of cold and wind. The Fall in CT is nowhere near as windy as Spring. About three weeks ago we had a warm-ish day and I went out despite the wind. Everything was just find until I made a right onto a local road and hit a 25 mph headwind. Wow! That sucked. I love the Fall around here.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to be that way until I put together the right clothes. Layer up and don't ride fast, it can still be fun.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to get going, but once I do (it takes me about 5 miles of good effort to get warmed up) I generally find it to be well worth it. Especially in late winter and early spring after the short days of winter and having been locked up inside all the time. Of course, getting equipment sorted is essential and takes some thought and experimentation to find what works in what conditions. The issue for me has always been to find something that keeps me warm enough but still allows sweat to evaporate, because if it doesn't and builds up,the wetness causes me to get cold again. Jackets with membranes, either Gore-Tex or Windstopper, would not breath enough. So, for a long time, below 45 F, I wore two thin windbreaker type jackets of the type without any membranes, and would wear one, two, or even three jerseys underneath of varying composition depending on the conditions. Some were regular thin long sleeve, some thermal, some merino wool...when three, the closest one would be sleeveless. This year, I got a Gore Phantom II jacket which has Windstopper in the front and sleeves but the back is stretchy fabric with no membrane. This has worked very well for me and has reduced the number of layers I need underneath.

Other things: Tights with barrier fronts, skull cap and helmet cover, shoe covers...

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gee, I thought I was the only one who couldn't get out in cool windy spring temperatures.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I use to be that way until I put together the right clothes. Layer up and don't ride fast, it can still be fun.
    I actually have all the cold weather gear. It's that cold/wind combo I can't get by. But, I was encouraged by some of the posts here so I went outside to assess the conditions. The temp is up to 43 degrees but the wind is kicking up pretty good and the TV weather guy says we may have up to 50 mph wind gusts here in CT. I think I'll just ride my rollers. Anyone know of any good DVDs?

My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you're not alone at all. I have found that as I have aged, the cold bothers me a lot more than it used to. This, despite having a good jacket, tights, ear protection, etc. The wind/cold you speak of is very intense here in eastern MA as well. Yesterday was just plain nasty, with a very intense wind from the east. And, if it's not from the east, it's from the west. The west wind is usually quite strong. I call it "plastic trash can in the street weather". I think that's self explanatory. Sometimes, the west wind is warm, and sometimes it's just as nasty cold as the east. Go figure.

Summer heat and humidity? Bring it on! Nothing pleases me more than a ride on a warm summer evening.

This is why I'm looking at warm-climate areas for retirement. I know, me and about a gazillion others.
    "The Universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on a government contract." Robert A. Heinlein

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the winds today that are the issue for me. We have the same 30-40 mph sustained, 50 mph gusts high wind warnings as you have in CT. I can hear the flags snapping in the breeze at the firehouse and the business park, both 150 yards downwind.

The only ride I had planned was a half-mile to the grocery store (headwind) and a half-mile back (full panniers and tailwind). I'm not going out in it. Well, maybe if it stops raining sideways. All I really need is bread, and I can bake my own. Which actually doesn't sound like a bad idea anyway.

It's another story on a workday. I've ridden to work on the several days we've had lately with 40 and 50 mph winds. On my days off, I'm more sensible.

I got in 52˝ miles yesterday through the rolling hills of horse country with the Day Riders group of my club. Most are retired, the rest of us work B-shift or irregular hours. Yesterday six of the eight were retirees. Although it was only 43°, it was sunny and winds were in the mid-teens. Thoroughly enjoyable ride that makes up for missing the 70-miler today.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the 40-50 degree temps or even a bit of a breeze as long as its sunny. I hate, however, the same temps when its raining.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going back 10 years and I did a ride in October. Temp wasn't too bad at around 55F but it was windy and it rained. Both of which got more extreme as the ride progressed. That was the nearest I have got to hypothermia and it was not pleasant. Up till this autumn- I have managed to get plenty of winter riding in but I do have the right clothing now. Waterproofs- Windproofs and warm jerseys. But somehow this winter was bad for me. Started in November and it although I will ride in Rain- wind or cold---put two of those together and I have woosed out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woke up to an inch of new snow today.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I was thinking of starting a poll about putting your winter stuff up for the season? Having a 6 inch snow last week at my house in AZ, the answer is still no for me. Back here in PA it is pouring rain and maybe 40f right now. A little global warming would not hurt right now. OR are we headed for a replay of 1816 the "Year without Summer"?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In October, 40F is cold. In May, 40F is not cold.

Do you have proper clothing?
    2015 Seven Cycles Expat SL
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All i can think of is that i am going to create my own wind chill factor on top of whatever the temp is plus how many mph the wind is blowing. Although today is going to be 95 degrees and sunny. Desert winds.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I tell myself when I'm out there and it's 40 degrees and blowing: "Hey, this isn't that much different from skiing, and people don't say 'I'm not going to ski today because it's 40 degrees!'"
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with you OP. My hands and feet are what get cold first. Sometimes I've worked up a sweat and my feet are freezing. No thank you, on the cold rides.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our club ride today started out below 40, very damp as rain was coming in. Stiff wind. I wore a capaline top with a short sleeve jersey over that and a fleece jacket with a windstop outer layer over that, a fleece beenie under the helmet, full gloves, bib knickers and knee warmers, shoe covers and fleece socks. Plenty warm, had to unzip the jacket a little as the ride progressed. You can do it but you have to know the right combo of clothes. As Al says, skiers love it! I skied in temps at -15 and high winds this year, sometimes through snow from snow guns - today we have the technology. I usually don't have the cold hand problems I do with skiing.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Something I tell myself when I'm out there and it's 40 degrees and blowing: "Hey, this isn't that much different from skiing, and people don't say 'I'm not going to ski today because it's 40 degrees!'"
    Sorry but that is just not right.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today the wind blew my Webber gas grill off my deck. April sucks.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode the Tour of the Tucson Mountains today (4-17-11). Temps up to 92 degrees, bit windy.
    We moved from the crappy midwest to AZ 33 years ago . . .
    Best move we ever made!

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold spring temperatures won't keep me inside - I just change what I'm wearing. Wind gets me down, but unless it's a gale, I'm OK. As to rain and snow, it will keep me from starting a ride, but if it happens during the ride, I'm OK with that too. I would mind the rain less if I had fenders on one of my road bikes. It's on the list of needed upgrades.

Lousy spring weather here - it snowed last night and the afternoon improved only to cloudy, 30s, and 20 MPH winds. SHould be better tomorrow, but then more of the same for the next week. The weather was great last week and I got in 200 miles, but that pace is going to be a struggle for a while.

My Bikes
    '77 Colnago Super, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35deg, snow and 50mph winds in northern michigan. I didnt see anyone out biking today so I decided to stay in myself.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Just think how that trombone mouth piece would feel on that iced out mouth!!