User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding Trimble Allsport GPS App

Background
    -------------
    I decided to give the Trimble Allsport GPS application a try on my first bike ride of the year before buying a computer for my new Specialized Secteur. I downloaded the free 7 day trial version on my Blackberry Torch and went for a few rides. The application seemed to do a good job of tracking the rides I took so I decided to spend the $9.99 and buy the full version.

Why i bring this up
    ---------------------
    Anyway, now that the weather is improving here in Northeast Ohio I have been able to get the bike out and actually get some riding time in. Over the winter I have been riding the Secteur on an Elite Realtour trainer. A typical 40 minute ride on the trainer over 6.5 simulated miles including a 400ft climb would burn about 250-280 calories according to the Realtour software. I rode nearly 34 miles on the bike yesterday and Allsport GPS says I burned 2168 calories. By the way, it was a GREAT ride!!

Question
    ----------
    Does it make sense that a ride averaging 12 mph over 3 hours would burn 2100 calories? The app said that I only had an 800 ft elevation change over the period of the trip. I think that is accurate and the computer I eventually bought confirms the mileage at 34 miles. The app does ask you to enter your weight which I have entered correctly as 230 lbs. I assume that the elevation changes x speed x weight is used to calculate the calories.

I keep reading on here about people climbing thousands of feet and riding 100+ miles. If this software is accurate they must be burning tens of thousands of calories.

I am in no way affiliated with Trimble or their application, just curious as to whether the data the app is giving me is accurate.

Here's a link to yesterday's ride:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...m_medium=email

Here's a link to the product page for the Allsport GPS application: http://portal.trimbleoutdoors.com/Ma...9/Default.aspx

My Bikes
    Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the sofware link, and it looks very similar to the Map My Ride software that I used to have on my I-Phone. Yes, it it is very possible that you burned 2100 calories. It all has to do with your height, weight, calculated BMI, (unless you know it), lactate threshold, and HR. We rode our tandem yesterday on a 28 mile loop. Climb was 1700' and duration was 2:09 with average speed of 13.2. I burned 1873 calories with an average HR of 111. The day before, I did a harder ride. 48 miles, 2400' of climbing, average speed of 17.1 and average HR of 127 and I burned 3300 calories.
    If you are really into ride statistics, I suggest you consider a Garmin or similar computer. The problem with phone software, unless you have a satellite phone, is that you are limited to cell tower connections (someone correct me if I am wrong). If you ride anywhere that you can't get cell phone reception, you can't get data, including GPS. It is really a pain to return home and find that you got dropped on your cell connection, so there is only data to the point of the drop. Another drawback is that your cell phone is always on, so you use up your battery really fast. After just a few rides, I was very disappointed with the Map My Ride app. My Garmin 305 gives me all the data I need and will last for 13+ hours before the battery dies. It is a true GPS running off the satellites.