Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

View Poll Results: How many bike crashes have you had that resulted in an ambulance ride?
None. Knock on wood. 18 78.26%
One was enough. 4 17.39%
Two was too many. 1 4.35%
I lost count after the second one, probably hit my head. 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-16-11, 08:21 PM   #1
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Frequent Fliers Poll

A recent thread about the fate of one's bike while riding in an ambulance got my attention. It looked like a sizable percentage of the responders had been involved in more than one bike crash that resulted in an ambulance ride. It got me wondering if this was just an aberration or if some cyclists are significantly more prone to serious crashes than others.

What do you say? Are you, or someone you know, a "frequent flier"? (My local emergency responders call the folks they regularly transport frequent fliers.)
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 05:50 AM   #2
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sure hope the vast majority says none. Although I know most of us have hit the pavement once or twice - hopefully it was not enough to send us to the ER.

I had a rash of crashes a few years back - one crash every year for three years, all caused by essentially the same thing - inattentive bike handling. Three crashes finally got the message into my thick skull and I haven't made the same mistakes again. None of these crashes had me riding in a meat wagon or sent me to the ER.
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 07:54 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
I've got the 2 and I really should have had 3. When I was about 10 I face planted into the side of a utility company pick up truck and seriously split my forehead open. The utility truck driver drove me to the hospital. Things were different in the 50's.

Since my last accident it has frequently crossed my mind how everything can be totally calm and normal and, in just a couple of seconds, your whole life can turn upside down. If there's such a thing as a routine fall that's what my last should have been. Unfortunately, I landed in such a way that it broke both of my elbows. That kind of limited my ride-myself-back-to-the-car options.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 08:04 AM   #4
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 1986 Hujsak, 2005 Bike Friday NWT, 2008 Robert Beckman, Thorn Nomad MK2, Bacchetta Giro 26
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just one crash that required ambulance transport (little old lady hit me from behind).

One of the bystanders took my bike to my bike shop, and the officer stopped by the ER with all the info I needed.
GeorgeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 08:07 AM   #5
R_Z

Bikes:
I've had one major bike crash and that was back when I forst got back on a bike since childhood. That one landed me cuts and bruises (especially my ego). But the stupid award goes to the time back in 75 when I rode a motorcyle and crashed right into a paneled truck. Ambulanced and hospitalized for 2 weeks. Needless to say I don't ride motorcyles anymore. Fingers crossed on no more major crashes.
R_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 10:23 AM   #6
Looigi

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I've had a few that could have resulted in ambulance rides, but in those instances I decided I could make it home on my own and did so, then drove or was driven to get x-rayed, stitched, and even operated on.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 11:30 PM   #7
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Reading the stories of the injuries that resulted in ambulance (and utility truck) rides is going to make me sorry I stared this poll. I just don't want to imagine the pain of breaking both elbows.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 10:31 AM   #8
pokey1

Bikes:
I crashed one time into a black car that was parked on the side of a very dark street at night.
It was just around a corner and I was really moving. Being young and stupid with no lights
managed to ride away -- one hurting puppy though.

wpt
pokey1 is offline   Reply With Quote